Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #105,106 of 149,748
What I really hate with FedEx is when a package checks into one of their hubs - midwest for me - and you know your package is just going to sit there for at least 4 or 5 days.

Any my guess for the last announcement from Schiit this year - an updated Vidar with a standby switch.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #105,107 of 149,748
review.jpg

https://old.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/zeiqat/im_a_man_of_my_word/

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #105,108 of 149,748
Hey @Jason Stoddard don't drive like this

most importantly, the cabin and windshield are intact! not good for anyone in the path of the engine moving at high velocity though.

(a little bondo and some paint, fix 'er right up)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #105,109 of 149,748
I just heard that a run of Loki Max SILVER tops are coming in. So yes, they will exist. Probably a couple of weeks. The option to purchase silver will appear on the site when we have received the tops and confirmed they are good to go.

Also, if we're lucky, we'll be announcing two things next week--the last announcements of the year.
Vali of The Toad with TwiinTube Power and VU Meters...As if...LOL! :ksc75smile:

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #105,110 of 149,748
What I really hate with FedEx is when a package checks into one of their hubs - midwest for me - and you know your package is just going to sit there for at least 4 or 5 days.

Any my guess for the last announcement from Schiit this year - an updated Vidar with a standby switch.

Vidar does seem to be long overdue for an update/upgrade.
Been wondering for quite awhile if Jason has been able to leverage some of the knowledge gained from Aegir, Tyr, Ragnarok 2 to produce a new Vidar that retains its strengths, but improves in other areas. 3d depth, and plankton/fine detail are the main areas my Vidar lacks compared to my Ragnarok.

Still a great amp, but Jason can probably get more out of it.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #105,111 of 149,748
Vidar does seem to be long overdue for an update/upgrade.
Been wondering for quite awhile if Jason has been able leverage some of the knowledge gained from Aegir, Tyr, Ragnarok 2 to produce a new Vidar that retains its strengths, but improves in other areas. 3d depth, and plankton/fine detail are the main areas my vidar lacks compared to my Ragnarok.

Still a great amp, but Jason can probably get more out of it.
He has said that it needs and he has designed a standby switch for it. I wonder what other improvements will be included when a new Vidar does come out.

The VIdar is a really nice amp and sounds almost exactly like my 45 year old Kenwood M2A, although with not quite as much power. However, when I switched from Vidar to Aegir I was pretty happy with the upgrade/difference.

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #105,112 of 149,748
@Jason Stoddard why not Schiit speakers? It would be so easy for you to disrupt the market. Design a floor standing two way with field coil drivers. Mass produced field coil power supplies would be right in your wheel house. Perhaps team up with one of the speaker manufacturers (Salk, Zu, Tekton). It would send shock waves thru the industry.
Thanks,
barondla
In this thread some time back Jason said he had done speakers at a previous company and would not do them again. So, along with battery powered devices,they are in the “not gonna” category.

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #105,113 of 149,748
In this thread some time back Jason said he had done speakers at a previous company and would not do them again. So, along with battery powered devices,they are in the “not gonna” category.

To be fair, (insert Letterkenney Gif here) Jason has done a number of things over the years that they said they'd never do.... But yeah I believe a speaker is about as likely as a pig walking on the moon.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #105,115 of 149,748
OK, I think my ears are used to the Aegirs now to confidently say “first impression is very good, and so are subsequent impressions”.

Fairly straightforward set up:
- Ragnarok 2 as preamp
- Yggdrasil OG A2
- 2 Aegirs
- Klipsch Heresy IV (bi-wired)
- Keeping everything balanced

Coming from the Ragnarok, the Aegirs opened up the soundstage quite a bit. There may be the same amount of plankton, but it seems to have enough space in between to tell It apart. Transients are faster. But… (there is a but), it might a bit too much in the highs for the horns. Ragnarok 2 is a happier, heavier amp, whereas I feel I’m hearing the dac au natural, which may be close to the fatiguing threshold of the Klipsch design. Could it be that Ragnarok as a preamp is too linear?

Skipped Ragnarok 2 for a session, using Roon for volume control with unsurprisingly unpleasant distortion.

Not knowing how Ragnarok 2 works, I can only go by what I see and hear. The preamp out on Ragnarok is only active when the headphone out is on (I did not know that), and I’ve always felt Ragnarok 2 as a headphone amp is fairly linear (I’m happier with, say, the HD6xx there than with my Focal Utopia’22). So this makes me believe that Ragnarok 2’s amp opinion is just different from its preamp opinion. If they’re meant to be identical, then I’m just hearing speakers vs. cans.

Clearly, what am I going to do with the money saved from the Hell Froze Over savings, other than order a Freya+ so I can tube all this linearity into submission (and have more fun)? 📦

I’ll keep playing. But I definitely like what Aegir is doing. I may just need to tame the horns a little bit to match my warm tendencies. Sounds like a non-problem :)

Best “oh wow” moment: Sympathy for the devil from the 50th anniversary remaster
Most “Yeah, that’s super realistic” moment: Paco de Lucía’s Concierto de Aranjuez recording. The picks and plucks are baller.
”I can’t even” describe how wide and deep and tall the soundstage got moment: Mercy Street from the 25th anniversary reissue
And the “is this summit-if?” moment of doubt went to The Köln Concert

Will keep playing with and without Freya+…

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #105,116 of 149,748
I just heard that a run of Loki Max SILVER tops are coming in. So yes, they will exist. Probably a couple of weeks. The option to purchase silver will appear on the site when we have received the tops and confirmed they are good to go.

Also, if we're lucky, we'll be announcing two things next week--the last announcements of the year.
The new black paint on Modi+ is nice looking.

I see a pink edition.

Shocking Pink.

Modi, Magni, Loki.

Be nice to the women, Jason.

By the way Jason. I'm listening to Piety right now. Is there a version for speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back