Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 2, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #104,642 of 149,749
Is anchored there, not was. :)
USS Pampanito (SS-383)
Yes, thank you. With it being close to 30 years now since I was there, quite a few things I'm sure have changed. Just wanted to cover my bases.

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #104,643 of 149,749
How did you integrate subs with the Tyrs?
It's super easy with the RELs. John Hunter lays it out beautifully on their YouTube channel. R.E. Lord was a brilliant engineer; the high-level inputs, high-current amps, their "NaturalSound" filtering, carbon-fiber cones; all of these things work together with their industrial-strength (yet beautiful) cabinets to make hard-hitting, precision bass.

I used the high-level (speakON) cables, as recommended. I first tried the red & yellow wires, twisted together, and connected to each Tyr's "+" terminals. With a differential output amp like Tyr, the black "-" lead is always isolated. This yielded a level that was too high; I could not turn the level control past 1/3 scale. So I took the alternate approach: I connected the red wire to the Right Tyr's + output, and isolated the black and yellow. On the left side, I connected the yellow wire to the Left Tyr's + output, and isolated the black and red. The electrical connection is just that simple.

Separating the red and yellow cut gain by at least 6db, maybe 9db (no, sorry @ArmchairPhilosopher, I did not measure the difference with my RTA/SPL meter). This gave me the level control range I needed to dial them in.

After the signal wires were connected, I set the crossover to minimum (30Hz), the high-level gain to 50% scale, and the LFE/.1 input gain to zero. I started with the cabinets in the front corners of the room, set at a 45 degree angle to the corners. This put them behind and outside of the B&Ws. Per the manual, I listened to a song with repeated deep bass and moved the cabinets forward until they reached an apparent bass peak from the listening position. Then, I flipped the phase switch from 0 to 180 and - WOW - they REALLY coupled with the room! I had to decrease the gain by about 6db to get things back into relative synch.

The rest is just tweaking. Ended up with the gain controls at about 2/5th scale, and the crossovers just two clicks above 30Hz. I have also settled on putting the port plugs back into the 804 D3s, because (IMHO) the RELs provide such a solid bass foundation that I can enjoy the even tighter bass that the B&Ws deliver in "air suspension mode" - and by the way, that may all be an illusion because Tyr has such a grip on the cones, they can't stray 0.1mm from where they should be, at all times...

/ds

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #104,644 of 149,749
In the mid 90's I was in San Francisco and toured the WWII sub that was anchored there. Sorry, I can't even recall its name. Other than the fact that my girth at the time had trouble navigating the close quarters, nevermind a fully crewed sub or now, the thing I distinctly still remember was the overwhelming smell of diesel still present. Just imagine how your olfactory senses would have to contend with the barrage from a fully operational vessel back in the day!
USS Pampanito (SS-383) is at Pier 41 in SF.

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #104,645 of 149,749
Observatory? Now we're talkin' my language 😀
Yes. You can search this thread for "observatory" and my username. I think I've posted a couple of photos here. You can also look on CloudyNights, same username.

Well now those is fighting words!!
lol!

I do research work for the USS North Carolina, BB55. The first of the 10 fast battleships in WW2. 15 battle stars.
45,000 tons fully loaded. 728 '.
She is the State of North Carolinas WW2 Memorial for all services in WW2.

Talk about using vacuum tubes!! OMG, tons of NOS tubes from the 30's/40's still unused in the original boxes.

A boy scouts exploration dream come true, even for us older boy scouts senior citizens!

1669948886041.png
In east TX, scouts do overnighters on USS Lexington and tour USS Texas. Unfortunately, USS Texas is having a tough time. The hull is rusting through. I'd heard a couple of years ago there were some funds to rescue her, but I've lost track of that project. I've also been on USS Alabama (in Mobile). Toured her after a rugby match. I think I've also toured USS Coral Sea (used to be in San Francisco), USS Constitution, and maybe a submarine or two as well. As has been said, they were a whole other breed.

I know a former president mocked some requested military spending as "yesterday's weapons for today's battles", or something similar. But, I wonder just how obsolete USS North Carolina, or USS Missouri would look if those guns were pointed your way?

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #104,646 of 149,749
Midway is superb. I trust you also visited HMS Surprise if you are into naval history (though she may be closed due to recent damage).

We were in the Marriott in Oakland for TG and had a magnificent view of the Hornet in Alameda, another carrier well worth a visit.
Mom recently passed to an incredibly terrible unknown wasting away combined with complications from covid. Dad needed a trip to get away from their house a few months after she died. He took a week to drive from Indiana, and I flew in for 24 hours from Detroit.

We toured the boat, I found us the best steak / seafood place I could for the afternoon, and we had some bourbon at the hotel - I even snuck in a few fancy schmancy ones
1670019034174.png

We reminisced about Mom and all of the good memories. Cried lots and got a lot off both of our chests. We both departed in the morning, wished we had more time.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #104,647 of 149,749
1. Magni + Modi (first generation)
3. Wyrd
4. Wyrd + Modi 2 + Vali (gift)
7. Modi
8. Modi
9. Modi
10. Saga (first generation)
11. Vidar
12. Modi 3
13. Bifrost 2

The first Magni/Modi allowed me to enjoy hi-fi when I couldn’t afford and didn’t have the space for a stereo system. Even when I did finally put one together - Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers (the Andrew Jones ones) and a ~$100 Sherwood receiver - my original Modi pulled double duty as the DAC in my headphone and stereo rigs. Eventually I added the extra Modi so I wouldn’t have to keep moving mine, and I got another one for my car - that one’s still there and is the only pre-Saga device that still sees regular use (gifts aside).

Going through my Schiit related emails to put this list together was quite fun, brought back a lot of memories.

I’m sure there will be Schiit number 14 and on, but not sure what it will be. I don’t listen on headphones much these days, and my stereo system is well rounded to my liking. An upgrade to Tyr would be amazing, but financially, it’s not in the cards now or anytime soon. I have to say I was a little jealous of those of you who grabbed a pair during the mythical Black Friday sale. I can’t complain about my Vidar though, it still rocks!

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #104,648 of 149,749
Piety isn't summing anything. It's an extension of Continuity(tm). One of the cool things about Continuity is that it can compensate for transconductance droop--or it can over-compensate. And it can be shaped. So it can give a square-law-like output characteristic. Gives us plenty of ways to play with gear.
Mjolnir 3 or Piety-ius?

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #104,649 of 149,749
Measurement Versus Perceived music is a thorny issue and is sometimes down to what music you are listening to! For example, for me ABBA's dancing queen is multi-layered production that sounds great thru a good audio system but engages on many more levels way better on a mono FM radio!! Possibly it's an emotional response due to the age of the recording and the manner I first heard it, but there are a number of pieces of music that 'click' better on more modest equipment -which is odd !! and kinda makes the measured specs seem well erm even odder !! But in general if something sounds great and measures great it IS great .
I enjoy most of the music I heard on a record player on a record player, but I never play it on stream, B52, Devo, Joe Jackson, Cars, Specials, Sweet, Abba.

In part I think it was recorded to be heard on lp (or in the case of Abba, radio).

I loved listening to baseball at night on am radio.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #104,650 of 149,749
Apologies for the delayed response but I only received delivery of my black Lokius and matt silver knobs, in the UK, twenty minutes ago. They are a good match for the knob on my black Asgard 3, which I believe has the same knob as Lyr+, and matt silver button on my black Bifrost 2. I certainly think that they are an improvement over the standard semi-matt black knobs.

Three things to note:
  • Firstly, the marker on the matt silver knobs is a cut on the front edge of the knob without any added colour, as shown in the images of the silver Magni+ on the Schiit website. (Note that the standard knobs supplied with the Lokius looked like the black Magni+ knob, with a small white circle marker rather than the white lines shown on the black Lokius images on the Schiit website.) I will probably colour the markers on both the Lokius and Asgard knobs with either a black permanent marker or black paint.
  • When I removed the black knobs from the Lokius only two came off complete with their internal plastic adapter. For the other four knobs I had to carefully lever the plastic adapter off the potentiometer shafts, using a plastic tool to avoid damage, prior to fitting the silver knobs which include the plastic adapter.
  • When fitting the new knobs I found that trying to push them straight on the potentiometer shafts, lining up the flat on the shaft and within the adapter, could not be done without using excessive force. Rather, I found it better to initially line up the two flats with the knob at a slight angle to the shaft and then push on whilst varying the angle, at which point the knob would start to slide on and align with the shaft enabling it to be pushed firmly into place.
I hope that this is of use to you and others considering the matt silver knobs.

Regards, Nigel

Thanks for the great response. I definitely appreciate your impressions and experience with installation. I ordered the knobs anyways and should be waiting for me when I get home from work.

After reading your confirmation that they do match the other silver knobs, I'm even more excited. It's a very small but welcome enhancement.

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #104,651 of 149,749
Yeah, it needed some more compensation work. May end up with a zobel. Pretty typical for higher-performance stuff (Jotunheim 2 has one, for example). Still playing with it.

Piety isn't summing anything. It's an extension of Continuity(tm). One of the cool things about Continuity is that it can compensate for transconductance droop--or it can over-compensate. And it can be shaped. So it can give a square-law-like output characteristic. Gives us plenty of ways to play with gear.
Interesting. Didn't Nelson Pass once have a First Watt amp where you could change the sound by using a dial on the front to set the operating point?

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #104,653 of 149,749
Unfortunately, the UK has not preserved any 20th century* battleships, heavy cruisers, or aircraft carriers. HMS Belfast is only a Town Class light cruiser, designed to the constraints imposed by the London Naval Treaty of 1930. I do however agree that it is worth a visit.

*I included this date limit as both HMS Warrior and HMS Victory were the battleships of their respective eras and are preserved. Indeed HMS Victory is the oldest still commissioned warship in the world, although USS Constitution is the oldest commissioned warship still afloat.

Regards, Nigel
Sorry to rub salt in the wound but I have to say it : HMS Warspite

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #104,655 of 149,749

Users who are viewing this thread

Back