Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 1, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #102,106 of 149,357
If you think Yggy is amazing, I urge you to go to a live concert.

I've been to many and I find them overrated.

Most venues have terrible acoustics.

Real music halls are much better, but even then you need everything to be setup right for the sound to be good (i.e., not too loud!, good equipment being used with settings set properly, etc.).

90% of the time, I find music sounds better at home.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #102,107 of 149,357
I'm referring to classical and acoustic jazz., not rock or more recent genres.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #102,108 of 149,357
If you think Yggy is amazing, I urge you to go to a live concert.
This argument comes up surprisingly often, and it honestly bugs me a little bit…
Your point is obviously completely valid. Nothing will ever be as real as the real deal. That's just plain obvious.

But…

Concerts are usually a little costly, more often than not they're a bit stuffy, they usually require travel, they can't happen on demand, and unless we're talking about classical concerts they tend to wreak havoc on your hearing.
A high quality two channel system in your home might still be a little costly, but you can listen to what you want and when you want it, from the comfort of your own home, and the hearing damage is entirely optional.
I also dare you to walk up to the artist and tell them to play your favorite song ten times in a row just for you. Based on my own experience, artists surprisingly don't really welcome that level of appreciation of their work.

To say that attending a concert is better than a good two channel system is like saying that going to a restaurant with three Michelin stars is better than eating in.
Because of course it is!
But it's also completely missing the entire point.
No one buys a good two channel system to replace a concert experience. And if someone actually tells you that, they're either pulling your leg, or they're in desperate need of some medical attention by a mental health professional.

What you DO buy a two channel system for is to have a solid aural experience that you can enjoy every single day, on demand, and on your own terms.

You want the real deal? Reserve your favorite table at the most highly decorated restaurants in the country as often as you like or can afford.
For everything else, you cook at home.

But eating in doesn't mean you have to settle for frozen pizza. You still want to get the best ingredients for your meal.
And that's exactly what Schiit sells: Great ingredients for your home cooking experience. The best bang for your buck for those days when you don't feel like putting on pants to go to an actual restaurant. Which, at least for me, is most days.

And let's be frank: Everything you can do in your undies wins by default. 😁

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #102,109 of 149,357
We went to see the Nashville Symphony perform Mahler's 6th a couple years ago, at their venue the Schermerhorn Center. We were blown away by the sound quality. We also went to see Eric Clapton play at Bridgestone Arena (a hockey arena) and damn near walked out 1/2 way through ... it was painful.

schermerhorn.jpg
:)

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #102,110 of 149,357
This argument comes up surprisingly often, and it honestly bugs me a little bit…
Your point is obviously completely valid. Nothing will ever be as real as the real deal. That's just plain obvious.

But…

Concerts are usually a little costly, more often than not they're a bit stuffy, they usually require travel, they can't happen on demand, and unless we're talking about classical concerts they tend to wreak havoc on your hearing.
A high quality two channel system in your home might still be a little costly, but you can listen to what you want and when you want it, from the comfort of your own home, and the hearing damage is entirely optional.
I also dare you to walk up to the artist and tell them to play your favorite song ten times in a row just for you. Based on my own experience, artists surprisingly don't really welcome that level of appreciation of their work.

To say that attending a concert is better than a good two channel system is like saying that going to a restaurant with three Michelin stars is better than eating in.
Because of course it is!
But it's also completely missing the entire point.
No one buys a good two channel system to replace a concert experience. And if someone actually tells you that, they're either pulling your leg, or they're in desperate need of some medical attention by a mental health professional.

What you DO buy a two channel system for is to have a solid aural experience that you can enjoy every single day, on demand, and on your own terms.

You want the real deal? Reserve your favorite table at the most highly decorated restaurants in the country as often as you like or can afford.
For everything else, you cook at home.

But eating in doesn't mean you have to settle for frozen pizza. You still want to get the best ingredients for your meal.
And that's exactly what Schiit sells: Great ingredients for your home cooking experience. The best bang for your buck for those days when you don't feel like putting on pants to go to an actual restaurant. Which, at least for me, is most days.

And let's be frank: Everything you can do in your undies wins by default. 😁
True on some counts, but in my personal experience and I've attended classical concerts in a dozen halls from Mineapolis to Chicago to Boston to Richmond Virginia but most in Philadelphia at both the old Academy of Music and the new Kimmel Center, over 200 concerts total over 5 decades. No system I've ever heard compares keeping in mind we're talking about sound, not ensemble playing or conductors interpretation. Almost all my live concerts have been with world class orchestra's that could play most all works without need of a conductor.

Jazz at clubs is a different experience with folks sometimes talking, glasses clinking, wait staff wandering about, but still the sound of just a handful of instruments usually overrides any extraneous sound and the sound of the instruments used by the ensemble is really astounding up close and personal.

Prices have skyrocketed over the 5 decades; in my 20's I bought $20.00 tickets up in the nose bleed amphitheater section at the old Academy. As financial resources improved over time I finally reached a point where I was able to maintain a season ticketed front row, balcony box on center for myself and my wife. When the Kimmel Center opened ticket prices soared and I had to go with picking a few "must hear" concerts for my wife and I. Now of course I won't be listening to anything, live or recorded. As a matter of fact the last concert I attended was January the year Covid started up here in the US.

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #102,112 of 149,357
I remember years ago my wife and I were visiting her relatives up in Montclair, NJ and we attended a Mahler 3 in what I would consider an average acoustic hall with a conductor whose name escapes me now, but the sound still was magnificent. In talking with some locals they told me that many of the players were second stringers waiting for a chance to get into the NY Philharmonic or the Met. or other major orchestra.

Here in Philly the Curtis Institute of Music has a similar student orchestra. I heard them on many occasions over the years they were always as good to my ears as the first stringers in the P.O. I remember a Mahler 2 in my late 20's with the Curtis that brought the house down. By that time I had made the move 1 layer down to the Family Circle seating. And the tickets were more modestly priced then today.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #102,115 of 149,357
And, while it may be fast in a straight line it isn't going to corner for crap with all that weight in the front. And if you honestly think that it does, you should go drive something modern like a Subaru WRX.
The Rover V8 (a derivative of the Buick) is actually quite light. However comparing a 60 year old car to (any) modern well engineered vehicle doesn't give a good result. A Golf GTI makes a mockery of ANY of the 60s supercars.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #102,117 of 149,357
The Rover V8 (a derivative of the Buick) is actually quite light. However comparing a 60 year old car to (any) modern well engineered vehicle doesn't give a good result. A Golf GTI makes a mockery of ANY of the 60s supercars.
In fact the alloy Rover 3.5 ltr V8 is a tad lighter than a 4 pot cast iron BMC ' B ' series engine fitted to MGB's, and the weight distribution is better too (lower CG )
This car where I work has a 4.6 ltr V8 with Edelbrock carbs and power steering, Panhard rod and anti-tramp bars etc etc

thumbnail_IMG_0778.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0779.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back