Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 1, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #102,137 of 150,791
My 'new' MGB GT V8 will have a choke.

I am hoping it will be pretty fast :beyersmile:

My 1974+1/4 MGB had the 1800 straight 4 with overdrive (and a choke) and was the most fun to drive car I ever owned. A perfect balance of power to weight. I always thought the V8 would overpower the handling, and with the extra power it would eat my driver's license.

I loved that I could redline it off the line in first and second then pop it into third and back off, having used the entire performance envelope of the engine, and still only be doing 60 klicks. Exhilarating fun and still legal. I figured if I did that with a V8 I'd be hitting over 100 and getting into trouble.

But enjoy the GT - I doubt I would fit into it, I'd have to lift the lid on the droptop just to get in or out...

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #102,138 of 150,791
Legal here in Wash State. I guess I'm a lightweight, I prefer to stay awake when I'm not sleeping.....
I am happy with a drink later in the day, I work with too many power tools during the day to consider a drink then.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #102,139 of 150,791
My 1974+1/4 MGB had the 1800 straight 4 with overdrive (and a choke) and was the most fun to drive car I ever owned. A perfect balance of power to weight. I always thought the V8 would overpower the handling, and with the extra power it would eat my driver's license.

I loved that I could redline it off the line in first and second then pop it into third and back off, having used the entire performance envelope of the engine, and still only be doing 60 klicks. Exhilarating fun and still legal. I figured if I did that with a V8 I'd be hitting over 100 and getting into trouble.

But enjoy the GT - I doubt I would fit into it, I'd have to lift the lid on the droptop just to get in or out...
Thanks @valiant66 .

I owned a 1971 MGB GT for a few years back in the mid 80s.

It was very simple, and great fun to drive.

The alloy V8 engine is almost exactly the same weight as the original cast iron 1800 cc one, so the front/rear weight distribution is hardly affected at all.

The original BGT was great fun, but slow by modern standards.

The V8 will transform it into Jaguar E-type territory for acceleration.

I don’t intend to drive it really fast, but I think the huge increase in torque, compared with the 4 cylinder original, will make it a fantastic car to enjoy on hilly, winding country roads.

We have plenty of those here in the ‘Peak District’.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #102,141 of 150,791
Nov 1, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #102,142 of 150,791
I can't find this...not on Qobuz, or a Google search. Did you find it?
I also checked Qobuz and couldn't find it. I actually have the CD. It's great. Worth the $$ in my opinion to go to Amazon and buy it.

Leo

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #102,143 of 150,791
Alison Krauss/Mark Knopler another great Duet Album......

Leo
Can you give more details on the CD? Google comes up nada for the pairing.

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #102,144 of 150,791

Mine was a 1968 Blue GT. OTD854G. When my Aussie son was over in the USA we went to Sonoma Raceway and a company there was resotoring one exactly like mine. I tried to get my son to text his mother a picture of the passenger seat. He refused - he's smarter than I thought :))

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #102,145 of 150,791
Thanks @valiant66 .

I owned a 1971 MGB GT for a few years back in the mid 80s.

It was very simple, and great fun to drive.

The alloy V8 engine is almost exactly the same weight as the original cast iron 1800 cc one, so the front/rear weight distribution is hardly affected at all.

The original BGT was great fun, but slow by modern standards.

The V8 will transform it into Jaguar E-type territory for acceleration.

I don’t intend to drive it really fast, but I think the huge increase in torque, compared with the 4 cylinder original, will make it a fantastic car to enjoy on hilly, winding country roads.

We have plenty of those here in the ‘Peak District’.
Some of my favorite roads there and in the Pennines where I spent my early driving years.
I was at Ron Fellows racing school last February in NV, at about 5400' in elevation and getting 3.3 sec 0-60 times. I was by nooooo means the fastest on the track, but it was great fun
This time last year we took the C8 to TN to meet with friends and photograph fall colors. We did get there via the Tail of the Dragon, which was quite interesting as it has a 30mph limit.

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #102,146 of 150,791
Can you give more details on the CD? Google comes up nada for the pairing.
I'm embarrassed to say, that it isn't Alison Kraus, but Mark and Emmy Lou Harris. My memory seems to be a bit off after that COVID, and perhaps 68 years on the planet. Sorry, I apologize to ALL, and especially to you, Daniel.......

Leo

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #102,147 of 150,791
I'm embarrassed to say, that it isn't Alison Kraus, but Mark and Emmy Lou Harris. My memory seems to be a bit off after that COVID, and perhaps 68 years on the planet. Sorry, I apologize to ALL, and especially to you, Daniel.......

Leo
No worries. 🤣

After some googling, I was fairly sure you were referring to Knopfler/Harris. To be fair, both Krauss and Harris are brilliant singer/songwriters. I can see the easy mixup.

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #102,148 of 150,791
No worries. 🤣

After some googling, I was fairly sure you were referring to Knopfler/Harris. To be fair, both Krauss and Harris are brilliant singer/songwriters. I can see the easy mixup.
You're WAY too kind.

Thanks

Leo

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #102,149 of 150,791
[
[/QUOTE]
I am happy with a drink later in the day, I work with too many power tools during the day to consider a drink then.

Hey, you're retired now, you don't need all of your parts any longer! So, you can risk losing a digit or two, to sneak in an early shot...! :xf_eek:

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #102,150 of 150,791

Leo
Hey Leo,

Please don’t be embarrassed. We all make mistakes. Besides, the Knopfler/Harris duets are very special and deserve a shout out too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back