Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 31, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #102,091 of 150,868
I've not heard the term "slows down" before. But, I would venture a guess that what may be happening is; your listening to music you are extremely familiar with and have listened to hundreds of times on that "Argelbargle" DAC everybody's talking about that has a given level of resolution. When the Yggy gets substituted you start to hear more information or detail within the same musical passages and you might think, logically, it has to take longer to get from point A to point B because of the extra information. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #102,092 of 150,868
Happy Halloween!

1667263179259.png

Oct 31, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #102,093 of 150,868
I've not heard the term "slows down" before. But, I would venture a guess that what may be happening is your listening to music you are extremely familiar with and have listened to hundreds of times on that "Argelbargle" DAC everybody's talking about that has a given level of resolution. When the Yggy gets substituted you start to hear more information or detail within the same musical passages and you might think, logically, it has to take longer to get from point A to point B because of the extra information. Just a thought.
Very interesting concept. 😜

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #102,094 of 150,868
I've not heard the term "slows down" before. But, I would venture a guess that what may be happening is; your listening to music you are extremely familiar with and have listened to hundreds of times on that "Argelbargle" DAC everybody's talking about that has a given level of resolution. When the Yggy gets substituted you start to hear more information or detail within the same musical passages and you might think, logically, it has to take longer to get from point A to point B because of the extra information. Just a thought.
You described exactly what I'm hearing - things that I've never heard before in very familiar recordings. And I believe that this is the reason for the "slowing of time"- the music doesn't actually slow down; in fact, the speed of the playback is locked.

But when you hear a) utterly new sounds and things that you haven't heard before in a specific recording or b) clearly delineated, individual instruments or musical threads, that were "jumbled together" when played back through other hardware, time really does seem to slow down. The richness and complexity of the sound, combined with the overall open-ness of the presentation... therein lies the key.

Bad metaphor, I guess. But I thank you for going along with me on this one, and for the insight. Good call.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #102,096 of 150,868
Oct 31, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #102,097 of 150,868
I'm not sure this is a real thing...........

:)
And, while it may be fast in a straight line it isn't going to corner for crap with all that weight in the front. And if you honestly think that it does, you should go drive something modern like a Subaru WRX.

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #102,098 of 150,868
"Carburetor" is a French word meaning "Leave It Alone"
-Dick O'Kane, How to Repair Your Foreign Car, 1968

Enjoy your MGB V-8, sir!
please tell me rpthat the forthcoming V8 doesn’t have FOUR carburetors…!?!?

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #102,100 of 150,868
You described exactly what I'm hearing - things that I've never heard before in very familiar recordings. And I believe that this is the reason for the "slowing of time"- the music doesn't actually slow down; in fact, the speed of the playback is locked.

But when you hear a) utterly new sounds and things that you haven't heard before in a specific recording or b) clearly delineated, individual instruments or musical threads, that were "jumbled together" when played back through other hardware, time really does seem to slow down. The richness and complexity of the sound, combined with the overall open-ness of the presentation... therein lies the key.

Bad metaphor, I guess. But I thank you for going along with me on this one, and for the insight. Good call.
Yiggy provides so much more detail, all of your old music is new again.

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #102,101 of 150,868
Nov 1, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #102,102 of 150,868
Mike and Jason can sometimes appear a bit abrasive with their refreshingly direct yet a bit reductionist "because it's not worth the effort"-style answers to questions like "why don't you guys support DSD?!"
Schiit's current multibit DACs operate on PCM directly, and DSP such as upsampling is also done in PCM (it's "just" arithmetic in that encoding). However, the story is different with delta-sigma designs, some of which accept direct DSD bypass. And my Holo DACs take DSD directly, which with external PCM upsampling followed by delta-sigma modulation to DSD256 gets amazing results. But except for those exotic use cases, PCM externally followed by careful in-DAC processing is a better proposition.

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #102,103 of 150,868
No 4th? No 5th? Surely the minor fall and the major lift, though.
I love all of his symphonies. And I can't say that I like one symphony more than another (and I certainly wouldn't be able to provide a musicological substantiation for such an opinion). Still, it is a fact that I listen more often to the 2nd, the 3rd, the 7th and the 9th than the others.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #102,104 of 150,868
Nov 1, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #102,105 of 150,868

If you think Yggy is amazing, I urge you to go to a live concert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back