Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 31, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #102,064 of 150,107
Prepare your tuning stethoscope.........
Over the years, I have spent many hours balancing twin SU carburettors, on various old British 'sports' cars, with a stethoscope :smile:

You can have too much of a good thing......:dt880smile:

On my new MGB GT V8, I am going for simplicity- just one, big, Edelbrock (Weber) carb :relaxed:

No stethoscope required.

Oct 31, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #102,065 of 150,107
Nice...! A shame one can't add end caps to a Freya...! Add a vintage touch. 😀
There is still work to do, I am waiting for parts but wanted to get the general look. @bcowen and I are arguing what a "plinth" is so I am staying clear of turntable terminology for a bit. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Oct 31, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #102,066 of 150,107
I looked like that in my youth. Back when I had hair...! 🤣
I'd rather have Fingers than Toes,
I'd rather have Ears than a Nose.
And as for my Hair, I'm glad it's all there,
I'll be awfully sad when it goes.

Gelett Burgess

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #102,067 of 150,107
I procured a slew of CDs this weekend (Thanks @FLTWS!) and I think it is high time I get a "real" disc player and stop using my Xbox.

Questions:
There are some SACDs scattered in there - is it worth pursuing an SACD player?
Considering my DAC is a Gungnir, can I get the player to output 192/24 through there?
Or, assuming I do use an SACD player, use the Gungnir for CD and the line out for SACD?
Will the SACD layer actually sound better than the CD layer?

I OBVIOUSLY do not really understand what format SACD is so I need some help...

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #102,069 of 150,107
I procured a slew of CDs this weekend (Thanks @FLTWS!) and I think it is high time I get a "real" disc player and stop using my Xbox.

Questions:
There are some SACDs scattered in there - is it worth pursuing an SACD player?
Considering my DAC is a Gungnir, can I get the player to output 192/24 through there?
Or, assuming I do use an SACD player, use the Gungnir for CD and the line out for SACD?

I OBVIOUSLY do not really understand what format SACD is so I need some help...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

If your playback is only 2 channels................

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #102,070 of 150,107
Questions:
Not automatically, I'm afraid. I'm a longtime advocate of SACD. However, putting Yggdrasil into the system made redbook CD highly competitive. I'd make that upgrade rather than buy an SACD-capable player (tho if you do, make sure it's a good one.) Of course, mastering will also play a part - if the SACD layer was mastered from a bog-standard old PCM file, well, don't expect miracles.

Oct 31, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #102,071 of 150,107
Check out Black Acid Soul, one of THE best recordings of the year.
I will, thanks! She's on my list of artists to spend some quality headphone time with.

Oct 31, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #102,072 of 150,107
I wonder what Mike and Dave's takes would be on CD/SACD hybrids in Urd, whether they feel like the SACD layer might negatively influence the read quality of the Red Book layer.
My utterly naive guess would be that any potential reflective/refractive interference or any focus issues from the SACD layer shouldn't be anything a good drive's error correction wouldn't be able to handle. But if I wanted some random opinion from some half-wit on the interwebs such as myself, I could just google it. So I'd rather hear it from the horses' mouths. 😁

Of course, mastering will also play a part - if the SACD layer was mastered from a bog-standard old PCM file, well, don't expect miracles.
Well, since you can't really mix DSD, I'd assume (for my credentials on the matter; see above) that everything that wasn't recorded directly to DSD will have taken that PCM detour.
I know that Octave Records has been working on a way to mix DSD for a little while, but I don't know how far they've come with it. Since we all know how particular Paul is about DSD, it's pretty safe to assume that anything Octave Records has been putting out in DSD has in fact been recorded directly to DSD.
But most stuff you can buy has probably been piped through the standard mixing and mastering process at some point, which would mean it's been converted to PCM and back at least once during that process.

The Berlin Philharmonics sell SACD recordings through their own label, and they very much pride themselves for their attention to detail during recording and mastering. But even with these guys, and even with me being a hopeless Berlin Phil fanboy, I sincerely doubt that their recordings are DSD all the way from microphone to master.

For stuff like rock or pop that pretty much must be mixed before it can be mastered?

Well…

1667245909177.jpeg

Or to put it differently: SACD/DSD seems to be a nifty thing in theory, but in the real world that's dominated by PCM (and PCM-based studio and production pipelines), Urd + Yggy should probably get you some pretty decent results.

Mike and Jason can sometimes appear a bit abrasive with their refreshingly direct yet a bit reductionist "because it's not worth the effort"-style answers to questions like "why don't you guys support DSD?!"
But then you start looking into things in a bit more detail and you eventually figure out for yourself that it is, in fact, not worth the effort. Turns out: They do know their Schiit. Who knew?! 😅

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #102,073 of 150,107
Oct 31, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #102,074 of 150,107
I wonder what Mike and Dave's takes would be on CD/SACD hybrids in Urd, whether they feel like the SACD layer might negatively influence the read quality of the Red Book layer.
My utterly naive guess would be that any potential reflective/refractive interference or any focus issues from the SACD layer shouldn't be anything a good drive's error correction wouldn't be able to handle. But if I wanted some random opinion from some half-wit on the interwebs such as myself, I could just google it. So I'd rather hear it from the horses' mouths. 😁
I've always wondered about that myself. The SACD's I bought were purchased for the Red Book layer on classic re-issues like RCA's Living Stereo Series, and some newer releases with content and performances I was after. Many of those 60's and 70's RCA recordings (and Mercury's Living Presence Series) have held up well from performance and SQ perspectives.

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #102,075 of 150,107
I've always wondered about that myself. The SACD's I bought were purchased for the Red Book layer on classic re-issues like RCA's Living Stereo Series, and some newer releases with content and performances I was after. Many of those 60's and 70's RCA recordings (and Mercury's Living Presence Series) have held up well from performance and SQ perspectives.
Alright...maybe I will invest in some cheap used player with a remote until I can get my hands on an URD....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back