Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #99,166 of 149,303

Enjoy about 6 minutes in how Jason mentions the source of the metal - very fancy new mill to be getting the steel from, sadly the melt shop was not open when AIST did the last conference in Corpus and I got stuck ridding with a HSM person (great person, not helpful for melt shop questions). Wonder if any of the processors setting up shop will do stampings for you in Sinton?

Sep 5, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #99,170 of 149,303
80/20 is a fantastic resource. Their online catalog has everything you need including how to order. They will cut, drill and tap as required and have a good system to ensure it’s done correctly.

That’s who I ordered mine from. Watch the prices though- Aluminum has skyrocketed.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #99,171 of 149,303
Hum... The version on US Qobuz is 44.1/24, not 88.2/24. I also checked on the Qobuz download store and on ProStudioMasters, also 44.1/24. This review https://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-music/listening-report-john-mclaughlins-the-montreux-years/ mentions 88.2/24 on Tidal/MQA (gag), but otherwise 44.1/24. No problem, just wanted to check that it was that same release.
How strange ... I originally took the reading from the Chord DAC sample rate light, which was yellow (88.2) when I listened to it and wrote the post. It's still showing yellow now when I replay it.

But, you're right, the EU Qobuz catalogue also lists it as 44.1/24 ... well spotted.

As you say, not a problem ... it still sounds very good !

EDIT: Ah ... looking at the Bluesound Node controller playback read out ... it says 'MQA' source ... the DAC is definitely not MQA capable. so just the first unfold ? Don't really understand the MQA nonsense ! It's all 'smoke-n-mirrors' !

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #99,175 of 149,303
And sometimes this delectable ingredient:

71jomYL9qhL._SL1500_.jpg

...which contains two...I say, TWO types of vinegar!!!
Looks like the castrol I put in the car :)

@Ripper2860 beat me to it

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #99,176 of 149,303
If you are not into the full DIY take a look at wheeled kitchen racks/islands, and since I am in Alabama Walmart is the first hit, but something like this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cheflaud...Steel-Structure-Easy-Assembly-Rusti/648962152

Sadly metal castings I deal with are not quite the same, 7"x7"x34-44' or 235mm to 255mm at 24 to 81" wide up to 45 metric tons does not work for household castings - example furnace to melt the steel.

For desk setups, just set this up myself having just moved - taking advantage of the monitors to reflect the upward firing similar to full size Ohms using the wall (and yes, these are amazing and have been seen before in this thread, very well made!). MB Asgard 3 -> Audioengine N22 -> Paladin79's improved Decware Tiny Radials. Photo taken before keyboard, mouse, etc. Alterative is DT770 250 ohms.

20220904_200742 - Copy.jpg

I finally set mine up two days ago. For near flield listening, they image like nothing else. For small ensemble classical and jazz, they are excellent. They do get a bit congested with rock but if you pick your music to fit their strengths, they are extremely satisfying. Vocal Jazz is shockingly good.

Sep 5, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #99,178 of 149,303
You know what I haven't done in a while, guys? Poking a wasps nest just to see what happens.

My honest and completely serious position:
In a headphone rig of ANY grade and size, the two by far most crucially important components are the DAC and the headphones.
A good hardware EQ comes in at a distant second.
A well-performing, whisper-quiet headphone amp comes third.
Don't skimp on interconnects, but they come in last.
Forget about "clean" power, that's only really worth talking about in larger two channel setups.

Discuss, while I'll be watching from a safe distance. 🤣
When I had a DAC/amp from Dulong for an audition I was shocked by how much improvement the power supply made. Less than either the DAC or the amp (the amp was the weak link), but more than the digital source or cables. It's too bad power sources are so expensive.

Sep 5, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #99,179 of 149,303
I finally set mine up two days ago. For near flield listening, they image like nothing else. For small ensemble classical and jazz, they are excellent. They do get a bit congested with rock but if you pick your music to fit their strengths, they are extremely satisfying. Vocal Jazz is shockingly good.
I totally agree with your assessment. I tried a small subwoofer as well as a Loki, but at the end of they day the speakers do well with music I normally listen to at my desk. This is a pair I will keep.8B431FE2-52B2-42AD-A925-6BCEF3142EC9.jpeg

Sep 5, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #99,180 of 149,303
How strange ... I originally took the reading from the Chord DAC sample rate light, which was yellow (88.2) when I listened to it and wrote the post. It's still showing yellow now when I replay it.

But, you're right, the EU Qobuz catalogue also lists it as 44.1/24 ... well spotted.

As you say, not a problem ... it still sounds very good !

EDIT: Ah ... looking at the Bluesound Node controller playback read out ... it says 'MQA' source ... the DAC is definitely not MQA capable. so just the first unfold ? Don't really understand the MQA nonsense ! It's all 'smoke-n-mirrors' !
Just a glitch in The Matrix...Nothing to see or hear here...:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back