Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #99,046 of 149,294
California went through a period (still going through it, it seems) when ABV went to the moon. There are some very good wines made this way, but there are also some absolute sledgehammers. TX ABV seems to be a bit more moderate, but then again, they already harvested...two or three weeks ago. Eeeeek.
The highest ABV here that I've seen is 14.5% ... and some of that is OTT ... in the worst cases the flavour has all but gone

Sep 3, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #99,048 of 149,294
Shenandoah Vineyards (also owned by the Sobon family) makes a great blend called Zingiovese (Zinfandel + Sangiovese grapes.) A great $20 bottle, highly recommended if you see it in the shops.
https://sobonwine.com/product/2020-shenandoah-vineyards-zingiovese/
There are some Texas Mourvedres that are very much akin to great California Pinot Noirs. I keep telling them they should open a bottle of Sea Smoke, put it on the counter...and then pour their mourvedre...and then grin at how many people complement them on their great Pinot, LOL.

Unfortunately, French wines I'm less than familiar with, though I've developed a taste for various Sancerres, mainly because they are cheap and relatively available. Someday I'll improve my education on French wines, but not this summer, argh.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 3, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #99,049 of 149,294
The highest ABV here that I've seen is 14.5% ... and some of that is OTT ... in the worst cases the flavour has all but gone
I've seen high sixteens in some California wines...names redacted because not worth drinking...might as well grab a 40.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 3, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #99,050 of 149,294
Sep 3, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #99,051 of 149,294
You have a point ... the French are masters of "bureaucrazy"
I like our Austrian vendor pointing out desk size is regulated there as well as a host of other office sizing items, and then they proceed to link to DIN EN 527-1. Best part, table 1 notes minimum depth of 80cm, compared to the normal desks here at 76.2cm (30 inches) in advance of their field support team arriving.

Now we get to argue it is temporary work area (for them) and except from the rule. The best part, the Austrians are the ones who pointed it out, but the Spaniards who have been onsite for over a year using 76.2cm desks never said a word even though being part of the EU it applies to them as well.

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #99,052 of 149,294
I had some from France that was decent.

I am trying to figure out how to space my racks to accommodate three tube amps. Some of the gear is very heavy, and fairly tall.4ECDF5DC-A3AF-4EFC-BE2F-40559F3A0F21.jpeg
A couple pieces I had to own.
Hope your trip to pick up your new, to you, equipment was enjoyable and fun with your son. And that @FLTWS is doing well. I know he is moving to a more accommodating place, no stairs I'm sure, oh the joys of getting older. I've always enjoyed reading @FLTWS comments and reviews/comparing of cables, headphones and assorted gear.

Several years ago you helped me with some 1578 Melz tubes. You even reflowed the solder in the pins. Your nature and willingness to help others is what helps make this site/place a fun and joy to read.

The camaraderie/teasing/poking fun at friends makes this thread a great read. Ya, I know, that some would prefer less noise but then the thread would loose its comfort and sense of easy going kick back nature. And Jason puts up with it all is amazing! But then every once in a while Jason has had to step in and remind everyone to chill out.

It's a great time to be in this hobby. I don't think that the choices for gear have ever been as plentiful and wide raging from less than $100 to $9999 and higher. One just needs to discover/find their preferences, know their budget and once the gear is purchased to take the time to enjoy the gear!

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #99,053 of 149,294
I had some from France that was decent.

I am trying to figure out how to space my racks to accommodate three tube amps. Some of the gear is very heavy, and fairly tall.4ECDF5DC-A3AF-4EFC-BE2F-40559F3A0F21.jpeg
A couple pieces I had to own.

Right there with you with the Prima Luna. Just got an Evo 100 Integrated amp. Was nervous about it handling the Magnepan LRS speakers. It does and system sounds terrific. The source (bluesound node, Bifrost Multibit) work beautifully with the Prima Luna too. Loving the tube magic.

@OldRoadToad - I'm thinking about the Klipsch Heresy 4 to complete this setup. Then I can give the Sonos -> Saga -> Vidar -> LRS to my son to upgrade his iPhone / Airpods setup. He'll become an audiophile if I have to force equipment down his throat.

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #99,054 of 149,294
Hope your trip to pick up your new, to you, equipment was enjoyable and fun with your son. And that @FLTWS is doing well. I know he is moving to a more accommodating place, no stairs I'm sure, oh the joys of getting older. I've always enjoyed reading @FLTWS comments and reviews/comparing of cables, headphones and assorted gear.

Several years ago you helped me with some 1578 Melz tubes. You even reflowed the solder in the pins. Your nature and willingness to help others is what helps make this site/place a fun and joy to read.

The camaraderie/teasing/poking fun at friends makes this thread a great read. Ya, I know, that some would prefer less noise but then the thread would loose its comfort and sense of easy going kick back nature. And Jason puts up with it all is amazing! But then every once in a while Jason has had to step in and remind everyone to chill out.

It's a great time to be in this hobby. I don't think that the choices for gear have ever been as plentiful and wide raging from less than $100 to $9999 and higher. One just needs to discover/find their preferences, know their budget and once the gear is purchased to take the time to enjoy the gear!
You are very kind, @FLTWS is someone whose opinions on audio gear and music I have always admired just as I have admired @bcowen's knowledge of cardboard, and occasionally audio tubes. :beerchug: I want to say I heard the PrimaLuna and Sonus Faber combination about the time FLTWS got his gear. I heard the combo less than a month before his buying the gear, his liking it as well meant a lot to me.

I have replaced the solder in many a 1578 Melz and I was glad to help out. I will keep using them in a Freya + as well as an amp I designed.

My son will be along to help with the heavy gear. When I get home it may just be Finnegan and myself unloading.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #99,055 of 149,294
I know this isn't exactly a Schiit-related question, but given the sine wave topics; thought I'd give it a try. For decades, I've had a significant issue with tinnitus. Both ears, buzzing and ringing. Did traditional things like seeing an ENT doctor, having an MRI, trying aids and noise generators, etc. Nothing very satisfying or successful. Wondering if any of you suffer from this, and have any ideas to reduce / deal with it. Medical folks say not much can be done - but all knowledge doesn't necessarily rest with them.

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #99,056 of 149,294
You are very kind, @FLTWS is someone whose opinions on audio gear and music I have always admired just as I have admired @bcowen's knowledge of cardboard, and occasionally audio tubes. :beerchug: I want to say I heard the PrimaLuna and Sonus Faber combination about the time FLTWS got his gear. I have replaced the solder in many a 1578 Melz and I was glad to help out. I will keep using them in a Freya + as well as an amp I designed.

My son will be along to help with the heavy gear. When I get home it may just be Finnegan and myself unloading.
I'd be happy to lend you my cart if it would help. I'd hate for Finnegan to pull a muscle or something.

1662237773768.png

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #99,057 of 149,294
Right there with you with the Prima Luna. Just got an Evo 100 Integrated amp. Was nervous about it handling the Magnepan LRS speakers. It does and system sounds terrific. The source (bluesound node, Bifrost Multibit) work beautifully with the Prima Luna too. Loving the tube magic.

@OldRoadToad - I'm thinking about the Klipsch Heresy 4 to complete this setup. Then I can give the Sonos -> Saga -> Vidar -> LRS to my son to upgrade his iPhone / Airpods setup. He'll become an audiophile if I have to force equipment down his throat.
A wise parent knows when to use The Force! Heresy 4 are gorgeous! I shall be simultaneously jealous and happy for you! I have the entry Black Label towers where I watch films and in another room are the R820Fs. The rest of our home I have Denon HEOS/Home wireless speakers. My wife does not care for music and so I only use those when she is not around. I fear the decades of exposure to me have removed all visible traces of "class" from her as I am, as she terms it, incorrigibly juvenile.

I watch the 3Stooges and listen to Sinatra with equal vervor. I am a paradox made flesh. Enjoy the Heresy 4s and please tell your son that the joy of music is what feeds our humanity.

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #99,058 of 149,294
I know this isn't exactly a Schiit-related question, but given the sine wave topics; thought I'd give it a try. For decades, I've had a significant issue with tinnitus. Both ears, buzzing and ringing. Did traditional things like seeing an ENT doctor, having an MRI, trying aids and noise generators, etc. Nothing very satisfying or successful. Wondering if any of you suffer from this, and have any ideas to reduce / deal with it. Medical folks say not much can be done - but all knowledge doesn't necessarily rest with them.
Sorry to hear about your condition. I've had tinnitus in my left ear for over a decade now, and I keep it in check with white noise machines at night. I also take a supplement called Lipo-Flavonoid, which helps for me.

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #99,059 of 149,294
Sorry to hear about your condition. I've had tinnitus in my left ear for over a decade now, and I keep it in check with white noise machines at night. I also take a supplement called Lipo-Flavonoid, which helps for me.
Thank you both as my older brother has suffered with tinnitus for years and I shall refer him to that supplement!

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #99,060 of 149,294

Sorry to hear about that. I just noticed ringing in my ears 2 years ago. I thought it was related to some medication I was taking, but it didn't go away after I stopped taking the medication. I've tried to minimize anything that could trigger increased ringing (alcohol, loud music, etc.). I mostly try to ignore it by keeping some kind of white noise on at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back