Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #99,016 of 150,656
I disagree. You can always distribute in the ratios under common situation and have back orders equally spread. It has been a clear choice to focus on North America and of course it has not been stated and apologies have been made.

It is the reason I stopped purchasing Schiit gear until stock is back in Europe ... price difference is just too much as VAT is high in Portugal (VAT is paid over the total amount incl transport :frowning2: )
Mostly they just don't have enough stock to justify sending some to Europe, and having a little bit constantly selling out would be a problem, and lead to increased shortages in the US. Schiit sells loads of gear, more than you think, and the demand in Europe would quickly overwhelm what supply could be split off without doubling (?guess based on nothing besides guessing) wait times in the US.

If you look how Schiit does business, and their emphasis on local manufacture, I think especially with the parts shortages, right now, personally I think the entire planet is better off going back to more localized materials sourcing and manufacturing.

I feel like shipping a bunch of audio gear across an ocean to a place that has their gear seems to undermine the point of all that.

At least when there is serious shortage everywhere.

So I think their decision makes sense. Of course, I'm biased.

oh schiit politics. damn, banned again.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #99,017 of 150,656
I haven't heard Zu Audio, but I just grabbed a pair of Salk Song Surround I's based solely on the price (the drivers were $440 retail, the surrounds on sale demo were $700) and I'm very impressed. I don't know how much the Zu Audio drivers retail for, but I will never buy another pair of speakers before looking up the drivers first.

Part of what I hear about Zu Audio is that the speakers are gorgeous, but to me, the Salk Song's are just at another level. The black finish on the surrounds looks is furniture quality.

Salk has floor standing speakers called Song Tower that start in the mid-$2k's.
And the Songs were in the Schittr for a while. I heard them there and loved them. Tried to wade through Salk's website to order and gave up. Went with Tekton DIs.

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #99,018 of 150,656
If you look how Schiit does business, and their emphasis on local manufacture, I think especially with the parts shortages, right now, personally I think the entire planet is better off going back to more localized materials sourcing and manufacturing.
Don't take this the wrong way but the McDonald's of audio gear. Franchises every where building from locally sourced materials.

Someday we'll get The Economist to have the Modi exchange rate table instead of the Big Mac one.
https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #99,019 of 150,656
Sep 3, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #99,020 of 150,656
I heard the Zu Druid several years ago at Axpona and was very impressed. They have that live sound similar to horn speakers but without the horn effect on vocals. For a long time I wanted their now discontinued cube speakers but didn’t have the need nor the room for them. And I thought they were a little overpriced.

I’ve heard Salk speakers every year at Axpona and they are well crafted and excellent sounding.

All of my speakers are from AV123 / GR Research. I have X-Statiks, X-Voce, X-Omni, X-SLS, and Super 7. All are ridiculously good values considering what I paid for them.
At the risque risk of being exactly what I am...I am a Klipsch enthusiast. Admittedly they do not look very cool but I like them enough to have just bought two pair of their towers..."SIGH"...Nothing wrong with being frugal and if any here tinkle on your parade?

Just tell 'em it makes room for more Schiit.:beerchug:

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #99,022 of 150,656
Um, convenience does not necessarily equal quality, regardless of the cardboard vs aluminium controversy…
Controversy? Didn't know one existed. Everybody knows cardboard is better, right? 🤣 🤣

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #99,023 of 150,656
Controversy? Didn't know one existed. Everybody knows cardboard is better, right? 🤣 🤣
I will try to save the empty boxes for you once I get my extra audio gear. :ksc75smile:

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #99,024 of 150,656
convenience is antithetical to quality.
Says every Keurig user every morning before dropping the Maxwell House pod in and knowing 1 minute later the 'Elixir of the Gods' will be fully dispensed w/o all the fuss and muss. And yet they sit sipping and smiling knowing this CONVENIENCE yields an extra 20 minutes of QUALITY sleep every AM. Sounds like a reasonable trade-off. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #99,025 of 150,656
That's my secret to happiness!!

I live in the spaces between the cells!

Leo
Awesome! Now you need an avatar with one of Jerry's guitars that'll make the wood fanatics here (@Paladin79) drool:

tfPphl.jpg

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #99,026 of 150,656
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #99,027 of 150,656
I had to throw this recording away from Dave Matthews. Great album for sure. But I couldn't stand it. Everything is compressed and lows and highs cut-off. Never tried it a 2nd time. Just about my only suggestion

Dave Matthews Band. Big Whisky and the GrooGrux King

Horrible!!

Leo
I'd have to throw in anything from Myléne Farmer that's been produced this century. Horribly compressed (to me), overloaded and clipping. Were it not for the fact that I love the sound of her voice, I wouldn't own any of her recordings.

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #99,028 of 150,656
Those are gorgeous! The cabinets on my Lores have a nice finish, but gorgeous or furniture quality are not terms I'd use to describe them. Hopefully @Paladin79 can make some replacement cabinets for me out of Tiger Maple since he's retired now and looking for something to do. 🤣 🤣
Don't you mean cardboard?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #99,029 of 150,656
Convenience of having a full movie on tape gave us VHS over Beta and probably MP3's since you could store a lot of them on a cell phone. (I was kidding about having canned wines by the way.)
I actually had some canned wine and it was okay

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #99,030 of 150,656
I actually had some canned wine and it was okay
I had some from France that was decent.

I am trying to figure out how to space my racks to accommodate three tube amps. Some of the gear is very heavy, and fairly tall.4ECDF5DC-A3AF-4EFC-BE2F-40559F3A0F21.jpeg
A couple pieces I had to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back