Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #99,061 of 150,673
I know this isn't exactly a Schiit-related question, but given the sine wave topics; thought I'd give it a try. For decades, I've had a significant issue with tinnitus. Both ears, buzzing and ringing. Did traditional things like seeing an ENT doctor, having an MRI, trying aids and noise generators, etc. Nothing very satisfying or successful. Wondering if any of you suffer from this, and have any ideas to reduce / deal with it. Medical folks say not much can be done - but all knowledge doesn't necessarily rest with them.
TEMPORARY relief some coworkers have found - place palms over ears with fingers able to drum on back of head, drum with fingers on back of head with some pressure on ears for 30" to 1'.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #99,062 of 150,673
To all you 'Mericans out there getting ready to enjoy the Labor Day weekend, here's something helpful to maximize that enjoyment: :slight_smile:

Swift-s-Premium--1951-.jpg

Sorry, Bill. Decided to put some labor into my weekend.

Someone's bound to ask the usual BBQ question. The answer is neither.

Brisket 03 Sep 2022.jpg

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #99,063 of 150,673
I'm waiting to see how Jason decides to outfit the LRS+ and new YTBR dipole subs with amplification and such in the Schiitr. Sounds like he was quite intrigued by the combo at the Texas shebang.
The LRS+ and subs were really cool. I will watch for the subs to be available.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #99,064 of 150,673
Sorry, Bill. Decided to put some labor into my weekend.

Someone's bound to ask the usual BBQ question. The answer is neither.
So the only question left then: was it good? 🤣

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #99,065 of 150,673
IMG_4246.jpeg

I am currently operating under so-called "forget about tube amps, this office is getting too hot even for a Jotunheim" conditions — second only behind the dreaded "Dear lord, let's just not have any music at all today" level of emergency, which is of course to be avoided at all cost.

(Yes, I am fully aware of the irony that I am typing this while my head is being hugged by a rather huge and unreasonably warm set of headphones. But they sound so good! 😫)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #99,067 of 150,673
I know this isn't exactly a Schiit-related question, but given the sine wave topics; thought I'd give it a try. For decades, I've had a significant issue with tinnitus. Both ears, buzzing and ringing. Did traditional things like seeing an ENT doctor, having an MRI, trying aids and noise generators, etc. Nothing very satisfying or successful. Wondering if any of you suffer from this, and have any ideas to reduce / deal with it. Medical folks say not much can be done - but all knowledge doesn't necessarily rest with them.

I've used over the counter treatments that helped. Lipo-Flavonoid (herbal treatment) seemed to work best. It's easily found on Amazon.

Good luck. :grinning:

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #99,069 of 150,673
Says every Keurig user every morning before dropping the Maxwell House pod in and knowing 1 minute later the 'Elixir of the Gods' will be fully dispensed w/o all the fuss and muss. And yet they sit sipping and smiling knowing this CONVENIENCE yields an extra 20 minutes of QUALITY sleep every AM. Sounds like a reasonable trade-off. :wink:
Please, just NO… and travel with an Aeropress…

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #99,070 of 150,673
It's all about what one values. As an insomniac, I value 20 minutes of extra sleep over the utmost quality of my AM coffee. Now when it comes to afternoon or evening coffee -- well that's a completely different matter and that's where I invest my time with the making of my coffee via grinding and french press or a pour-over. For me, morning coffee is all about the caffeine. Coffee any other time of the day is all about flavor. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #99,071 of 150,673
You know what I haven't done in a while, guys? Poking a wasps nest just to see what happens.

My honest and completely serious position:
In a headphone rig of ANY grade and size, the two by far most crucially important components are the DAC and the headphones.
A good hardware EQ comes in at a distant second.
A well-performing, whisper-quiet headphone amp comes third.
Don't skimp on interconnects, but they come in last.
Forget about "clean" power, that's only really worth talking about in larger two channel setups.

Discuss, while I'll be watching from a safe distance. 🤣

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #99,072 of 150,673
I look forward to the day there's a Modi/Magni price index...and we are manufacturing locally in many places. But we'll see what happens.

Right now, there's a definite cooling off of sales across the board (not just us, everyone we talk to has experienced it.) Nothing to worry about, but combine a couple of years of being cooped up, and it's not surprising that people have other interests beyond audio. That's a good thing.

With respect to wine, let me be heretical:

correct-size-2-1643324928044.png2021-picpoul-blanc-1-1646186942624.png

Expect a few...er, big/small announcements before the end of the year.

Edit: Alex and the crew were going through possible 2023 introductions yesterday, and we came up with 18 products. That clearly won't happen. But if you think we've been loafing, you ain't seen nothing yet!
A well made Tannat is a beautifully dark and lovely thing. Some good Uruguayan ones on the market, but had no idea Texas… Will look for that!

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #99,073 of 150,673
You know what I haven't done in a while, guys? Poking a wasps nest just to see what happens.

In a headphone rig of ANY grade and size, the two by far most crucially important components are the DAC and the headphones.
A good EQ comes in at a distant second.
Forget about "clean" power, that's only really worth talking about in larger two channel setups.

Discuss. 🤣
Headphones first. ALWAYS. Then work on the rest as the wallet allows.

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #99,074 of 150,673
IMG_4246.jpeg

I am currently operating under so-called "forget about tube amps, this office is getting too hot even for a Jotunheim" conditions — second only behind the dreaded "Dear lord, let's just not have any music at all today" level of emergency, which is of course to be avoided at all cost.

(Yes, I am fully aware of the irony that I am typing this while my head is being hugged by a rather huge and unreasonably warm set of headphones. But they sound so good! 😫)
Bad news then… I show 113 for both of our respective corners of hell next Tuesday. I already got out the Magni IE…

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #99,075 of 150,673

A good EQ comes in at a distant second.

Discuss, while I'll be watching from a safe distance. 🤣
Even though I have several EQ options on different systems (Loki Max, Roon EQ, HQPlayer EQ), I've concluded that I can't be bothered with fiddly experimentation (I may well be selling the Loki Max at some point, it's really nice but not really doing much work for me). I listen to a lot of modern classical and jazz with very quiet/silence passages, I'd not be happy with anything but dead quiet for my amps. Last but not the least, amp/headphone pairing can be tricky, especially for low-impedance planars. But yes, getting the DAC(s) right has been a long and expensive journey for my headphone systems (see my sig). I'm not planning to change my current setups except for an incoming used DNA Stellaris that will take over from my remaining Eddie Current Aficionado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back