Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 2, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #98,971 of 149,297
Ease of use in exchange for marginal quality difference wins in my book.
So you're the cause of the downward spiral! (jking)

My scientific brain would love to know the reasons behind these perceptions. I don't expect that craving to be satisfied.

Although, the whole discussion of "streaming vs physical" kind of reminds me of a scene from E.E. "Doc" Smith's Skylark series, where the hyperscientific race's "streamed" music lacked soul versus Dorothy's live violin performance :)

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #98,972 of 149,297
Optical versus RCA, there you have it.
For me optical always sucks. Or like Mike would say it: sounds like a$$.
Even if you put it through a decent optical to coax converter?

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #98,973 of 149,297
My scientific brain would love to know the reasons behind these perceptions. I don't expect that craving to be satisfied.
The answer to that is both very simple and also so incredibly complex that we cannot fully describe it. Brain chemistry.

Sep 2, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #98,974 of 149,297
Thanks for the reply and Bifrost 2/64 being more suited to speakers than headphones, does the Lyr+ bring any change to this notion?
I haven’t spent too much time listening to headphones with the Lyr+, but I do believe it adds slightly more neutrality to the sound. I’m trying to find ways to add a bit more warmth. Might actually end up swapping the original BF2 card back in to see how that sounds.

Sep 2, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #98,975 of 149,297
Thanks for the reply and Bifrost 2/64 being more suited to speakers than headphones, does the Lyr+ bring any change to this notion?
Well, it may be reaching a bit to extrapolate this conclusion from a single, specific data point. In this case, to @j0val's ears, and with his upstream sources, and with his particular transducers (speakers and headphones) -- and perhaps limited to this occasion, perhaps on a first listening -- he enjoyed the output of the BF on his speakers more than through his headphones.

It's perhaps not too much of a reach to surmise that the headphone amp (Lyr+) will have a less subtle effect on the final sound signature than the DAC. And both of these would have much less effect than the headphones themselves. For context, it would be interesting to know what j0val had been using in his signal chain before the Lyr+, and how other headphones compare to his ears when fed with the BF/Lyr+ combo.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #98,976 of 149,297
Well, it may be reaching a bit to extrapolate this conclusion from a single, specific data point. In this case, to @j0val's ears, and with his upstream sources, and with his particular transducers (speakers and headphones) -- and perhaps limited to this occasion, perhaps on a first listening -- he enjoyed the output of the BF on his speakers more than through his headphones.

It's perhaps not too much of a reach to surmise that the headphone amp (Lyr+) will have a less subtle effect on the final sound signature than the DAC. And both of these would have much less effect than the headphones themselves. For context, it would be interesting to know what j0val had been using in his signal chain before the Lyr+, and how other headphones compare to his ears when fed with the BF/Lyr+ combo.

This is a great point and something that really needs to be taken into consideration. My chain has changed pretty drastically within the past month. A “new” DAC, new amp (Lyr 3 previously), and new tubes.

I added the new BF2/64 card, which is a noticeably different “flavor” than the original card (slightly more neutral). Then, a month goes by and I’ve added the Lyr+, which, to me, tips the sound even more towards neutral territory.

Personally, I prefer a slightly warmer sound, but I’m willing to accept the trade off because of the greater clarity and imaging that both the BF2/64 and Lyr+ add. I’ll let my ears adjust for a few more weeks before I settle on my final impressions.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #98,977 of 149,297
To all you 'Mericans out there getting ready to enjoy the Labor Day weekend, here's something helpful to maximize that enjoyment: :slight_smile:

Swift-s-Premium--1951-.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #98,978 of 149,297
To all you 'Mericans out there getting ready to enjoy the Labor Day weekend, here's something helpful to maximize that enjoyment: :slight_smile:

... another five-star NC meat product.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #98,980 of 149,297
Kwality kwisine @bcowen! :beyersmile:
If it weren’t for the shipping costs, and import duty, I’d be placing my order in ‘Merica now.
Maybe @Paladin79 would be kind enough to send you a couple cans. I'd bet he has 3 or 4 shelves full of it in his pantry. 🤣

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #98,981 of 149,297
What do people think of Zu Audio speakers?
Specifically the Dirty Weekend 6 that went on sale today?
$1599 + $299 [natural hickory] + $499 [Superfly upgrades]

I would pair with Ragnarok 2 (+/- Tyr amps in future).
And Yggdrasil v2 DAC.
Despite a lot of gear, I have never owned high end speakers.
I wouldn’t consider these high end. But new, value oriented full(-ish) range speakers.
They would replace KEF LS50’s, which would move to one of my office near field locations.
I also have a 7.1 home theater with nice looking, but likely “good” value speakers from the 2008 era now bankrupt av123 company.

I’m also using Yggy / Rag 2 combo and have been thinking about Zu Speakers. Their lineup has always confused me a little bit. For around $1000 I’d have no worries, but with the recent price increases / new lineup you’re looking at close to $3k. That’s a lot to drop on a speaker I’ve never heard. (Yes I know you can return them)
Plus, by the time you add upgrades on the DW 6, it’s basically the same price as a Union 6.
Decisions, decisions…

I did just pick up a small sub from the SVS Labor Day sale, so that should tide me over for a while.

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #98,982 of 149,297
+1 -- I'm a big fan of my Tekton Lore Reference. :wink:
We can't trust your opinion until you 'fess up to how many reviews you've read since you bought them.

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #98,984 of 149,297
Maybe @Paladin79 would be kind enough to send you a couple cans. I'd bet he has 3 or 4 shelves full of it in his pantry. 🤣
You are forcing me to read back to see what kind of cans you are talking about lol. I have canned wine, not beef!

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #98,985 of 149,297
You are forcing me to read back to see what kind of cans you are talking about lol. I have canned wine, not beef!
You have wine in a can, and poke fun about wine in a box? Isn't wine in a can just bad beer? 🤣 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back