Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 20, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #96,571 of 150,691
I'm not a big fan of red, but if I had to choose one it would be something like this.

Blue isn't my favorite either (probably closer to 3rd) but it was the only color I really liked when I purchased my vehicles.
10L.png
Single cab, no 4x4, and lowered? Cooooooool truck.
I'll throw my hat in the ring with "Tiefseeblau"
IMG_20181116_101829.jpg
Needs more pastellblau IMO
IMG_2947.JPG

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #96,572 of 150,691
Or large, concave video screens.

How were those ever supposed to work for more than 1 viewer?
Worse for one listener.
The concept: If you had a wide screen that was flat, and you sat centered, the edges were further away. And maybe out of focus. But if you curved the screen then every bit of the screen was...well not exactly the same distance, but better.
The problem was when sound was reflected off the screen, it really beamed a slightly delayed sound that was coming from a fairly small area, and nothing good came out of it.
I think MadMan Muntz was involved.
You can Google him if you must.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #96,573 of 150,691
Nice...I see you're a Chevy Guy :wink:

Well, you what they say!

1658358522379.png
True story, BOTH of these were suppose to be Chevys... They lost my business when they only offered the 5.3 in the RCSB instead of the 6.2 or I would have definitely gotten the Chevy. I had a dealership sell a 2SS 1LE out from under me that they had been sitting on for months and I was the first non tire kicker interested (I didn't even want/need a test drive and they wouldn't take a $5000 NON REFUNDABLE deposit to hold it for 1 day) when I contacted them the next day with payment details they told me there was someone in the office signing papers on it. it put a very bad taste in my mouth, so I doubt I'll be considering one of those again.

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #96,574 of 150,691
Single cab, no 4x4, and lowered? Cooooooool truck.
Thanks, I had a lot of fun building it.
I live up north and we get tons of snow, so 4x4 is required, although I do run snow tires in the winter and I rarely even have to engage it unless it's like a foot deep...
Yes I lowered a 4x4, it's still pretty quick though, It ran an 11.98@115 MPH... in the rain 🤣 (Dragy time in "Mexico", but I've verified it at the track and it's (the Dragy) within a couple thousandths an half a MPH).
It's a "little" quicker in the dry :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #96,576 of 150,691
Wow, I like both cars but the 'stang is way cool, for my money I am kind of old school not into rented heated seats, etc. I DO enjoy a blue vehicle, since 1989. My first major purchase out of university and have not regretted it, still runs strong to date.
Is that a Toyota LandCrusher?! Soooooo COOL!

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #96,577 of 150,691
Just paint to order from a selection of colors. Like Mr. Ford used to do, except, you know, with choices.
Mini lets you do that, iirc.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #96,578 of 150,691
A/V design by interior designers is what led to video screens above fire places, in-wall speakers, and "lifestyle" systems. I say never let an interior designer near your A/V setup if what you want is function over form.
So true. Brother works in high-end audio. He calls them interior desecrators. They don't have to live in the homes they ruin.
Thanks,
barondla

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #96,579 of 150,691
My current Volvo had been driven over 150k km when I bought it (barely driven in by Finnish standards, or should I say burned-in…) and I haven’t spent over 500€ for any repair or maintenance I’ve had done for it. Newer Volvos might be more expensive to get fixed, though. That’s why I stay far away from German cars, too. Suberb cars, but expensive to maintain.
Shuuuush. My Subaru can hear this talk now.

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #96,580 of 150,691
I'm seriously torn on the "some stuff will remain black-only" thing. I obviously completely understand the reasoning behind it, and I'd be the last person to actually, seriously complain.

But…

I wish I could honestly say that I would still buy a product if it only ever came in black. I am, truth be told, still holding out on the purchase of two Loki Max, however, because it only comes in black. Until that changes, and I'm tempted to say that it never will, my two silver Lokius will suffice.

The looks of an (audio) product is nearly as important to me as its (sonic) performance. They are somewhat central pieces of my office and living room furnishings, after all. All of my furniture is dark brown or black, so I really enjoy how the silver-gray stands out against it. It just looks nice and timeless. In contrast—pun intended—black just disappears. The only thing worse than all-black gear, to me, would be a black and silver mix.
(Black gear also lacks personality. And purely practically speaking, compared to silver, it's a regular finger print and dust magnet. But all that is subjective and not part of what I'm trying to convey with this post.)

Yes, I know how entitled and shallow this makes me sound. That's why I feel like I should press again that I would never (!!!) actually, seriously complain about the fact that some gear will ever only be available in black. I fully accept this as a necessity resulting from the current state of things. Especially because we all know that Jason prefers silver himself.

The good thing (seriously, NO! irony or sarcasm intended) is that most people won't really care, they'll just buy whichever finish they can get and will be fully and entirely happy with how fantastic this gear performs.

But most people aren't autistic, and I know from personal experience just how freaking difficult it can be for a small-ish subset of the population to deal with something like this. A neurotypical person will just look at their "mixed" rack, shrug it off, and never think about it again. A person with autism (or OCD, for that matter), however, will be bothered by the way it looks for the entire time of ownership. If you can't relate to this, if you think that I'm exaggerating, that this would be utterly ridiculous, or that I'd be a little first-world princess who really needs to grow up, then all the better for you. I won't even attempt to argue against that, and I think that you should consider yourself very, very lucky that you don't have to deal with something as "dumb" as this.
But for some people, this is an actual and very real problem.

Obviously, autism or OCD doesn’t entitle anyone to a silver piece of Schiit. But it does explain why some feel so strongly about it. Myself included. That’s all I’m trying to say with this. 🙂

All right, that's it from me on the topic for the foreseeable future. Just wanted to throw in my two cents and offer a somewhat different perspective on the whole "sitch". 😇

I swear, that whole black/silver debate will be the reason Jason stops talking to us one day.😬
Even I am quite annoyed by it at this point, and I'm squarely on the pro silver side! 🤣
You ought to call yourself “The Silver Surfer”, but I think that’s been taken! 🤪

Precisely.

Which is why I went with this:

66526387999__001DD505-9E71-4D15-9A09-84AEDBBA6AB1.fullsizerender.jpeg
That particular red looks like you could jump into it in some light. One of the best paint codes ever!

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #96,581 of 150,691
Totally new chassis, totally new boards, totally new product. This is a HUGE change.

Totally new chassis, totally new product. In the case of Valhalla, also a much more expensive proposition, since the transformers have to change (lower profile), and those style transformers are more expensive.

No place to hold the chassis together on Bifrost 2. All fastener-less products are currently dependent upon a potentiometer shaft to keep the top on. Otherwise it's an additional chassis piece, additional blind PEMs, and a much more expensive chassis overall.

All changes are bad in terms of production streamlining in the short term. Introducing changes, or new products, is highly disruptive. Production would run best if we could run the same thing forever. Which is why we don't take changes lightly...though we still try to keep things fresh.
Am I alone who is waiting for Mjolnir 3?:fingers_crossed:

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #96,582 of 150,691
Am I alone who is waiting for Mjolnir 3?:fingers_crossed:
I would be interested.
A few notes from the past...

2021 Apr 16
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5012#post-16300706
No imminent Mjolnir 3

2019 Apr 16
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-1375#post-14899957
You didn't want to wait for the MJ3 coming out in June for the same price?
///

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-owners-unite.601151/page-815#post-13094799
What are the chances the Jotunheim technology goes into a Mjolnir 3?
Everyone tells me to get the Jotunheim over the Mjolnir 2, so there is thought that the Mjolnir needs improved.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2029#post-14117036
Now what I am really excited for is the inevitable Mjolnir 3 with this updated topology and new tubes. @Jason Stoddard Soon™?
other than a lesser power consumption there's nothing much to improve on the Mjolnir 2. Sound-wise I mean.

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #96,583 of 150,691
And if you search the past six months or so of this thread for "knob" you get two or three versions of Knobs 'R Us from your friendly Schiitizens.

A friend of mine just took delivery of a new truck he ordered six months ago. Ford delivered the wrong truck. And wrong in some pretty big ways, like 4WD when he doesn't want that. He's seriously considering keeping it because he doesn't want to wait another six months. It's really pitiful we've been reduced to things like this.

But the last two generations have grown up with MDF and LDL... And then there's NC and the card board trees...

Mrs. macdonjh likes to think about a German or Austrian brand for her next car. I told her she'd have to seriously consider changing from buying to leasing in that case.

+1 Mazda currently has the best red. Toyota/ Lexus has the best pearl white. Nissan used to have the best black, but not so much any more. I'm not a big fan of the lacquer finish gray showing up on so many cars. The blue like our host's C8 is cool, but I wish automakers would offer more colors. Hell, there's no inventory anymore anyway, so they don't have to worry about a certain color sitting around on a lot. Just paint to order from a selection of colors. Like Mr. Ford used to do, except, you know, with choices.
It surprised me when the build totals for the 2020 C8 came out that the Long Beach Red of my car in combination with Morello Red leather interior only 53 in total were built. Seems like it works well to me and I'm happy with it. I expected many more to have thought so too!

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #96,584 of 150,691
Nice...I see you're a Chevy Guy :wink:

Well, you know what they say!

This is my first Chevy and I like their quality and the service. My next door neighbor is a Chevy guy who many years ago became a Mustang fan - he has 3 - in an all Ford household. Even driving the C8 can't tempt him back he says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back