Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #92,746 of 152,726

I borrowed this idea from @ArmchairPhilosopher, some of my favorite Melz 6SN7 equivalents in a Mjolnir 2, I am loving the difference in sound but have been running it for an hour or so.
Crazy (at least to me) how much Mjolnir opens up with 6SN7s in it. Really should have been an octal amp all along, it feels like.

Volume knob at 11:30 and high gain? Do you even have any ear drums left? 🤣
For me, low gain and 10 o'clock is pretty much approaching pain threshold levels with all headphones but my 600 ohms.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #92,747 of 152,726
DCA852BF-792B-48DE-813A-AA86FBECB9EB.jpeg
Crazy (at least to me) how much Mjolnir opens up with 6SN7s in it. Really should have been an octal amp all along, it feels like.

I control line level input as well, so realistically the amp is not set that high. I may change over to balanced later but I cut my cables to needed length and the existing cables are a little short for that.

I am running out of space so I just ordered seven more pieces of solid cherry for another rack build, I also need to build a household mandir for a friend, some of the cherry will go into that as well.

I monitor the input level of course and I am changing between planar and dynamic headphones.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #92,748 of 152,726
May 9, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #92,750 of 152,726
Could be worse. It could land in Houston. 😜

**For those who are not aware, the Dallas vs Houston rivalry is exceeded only by the Texas vs NC BBQ rivalry. And maybe Texas vs Oklahoma (state vs state, not college football), but that really ain't a fair fight so let's say Texas vs California. 😀
The best thing about Texas now is y'all are coming here to New Mexico to stock up on Cannabis while filling our tax coffers. :smile_cat:

May 9, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #92,751 of 152,726
DCA852BF-792B-48DE-813A-AA86FBECB9EB.jpeg

I control line level input as well, so realistically the amp is not set that high. I may change over to balanced later but I cut my cables to needed length and the existing cables are a little short for that.

I am running out of space so I just ordered seven more pieces of solid cherry for another rack build, I also need to build a household mandir for a friend, some of the cherry will go into that as well.

I monitor the input level of course and I am changing between planar and dynamic headphones.
Nice rack, well stocked.

(With tubes!)

May 9, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #92,752 of 152,726
May 9, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #92,753 of 152,726
1651851119427.png

SchiitShow Writ Large
Or, Flushing the Last 2 Years

Well, maybe I'm not being entirely fair here, because this isn't just a SchiitShow. It is, more precisely, the Texas Audio Roundup, a Schiit and Emotiva (and friends) show, coming soon to a mini-California...er, I mean, Austin, near you!

(And yeah, I know, I'm ribbing the Austinites a bit, but it's good-natured ribbing. Remember when we could laugh about things? Yeah, like that. Relax.)

Why our own show? Why with Emotiva? Why not just go to one of the myriad of shows happening soon? Well, at least in part because (a) we're weird, and (b) we thought it might be time for something a little, er, different. A little more, ah, focused on the affordable side of things. A bit more, ahem, direct. Hence we got together with our friends at Emotiva and came up with this crazy thing. (Fun fact: my old marketing agency used to lease space from Dan Laufman before Emotiva was Emotiva...we go wayyyyyyy back.)

Of course it won't be all Schiit and Emotiva. In fact, there will also be customer systems, headphones from our friends, crazy homebrew speakers, and tons of other stuff. We're shooting for a fun, casual show where you can stroll and enjoy, without a ton of pressure.

Now, that's not to say it won't be exciting on the Schiit side. We're definitely bringing the big guns: Tyr, Loki Max, and Folkvangr for sure. Probably at least a couple of other new things too, but I can't talk about those yet. We'll see what makes it for the show...big, small, or in-between!

Texas Audio Roundup
July 22-23
Austin, Texas

Link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/texas-audio-roundup-tickets-335542455517

Of course, I'll be there, as well as some other Schiitheads. Hopefully you can come and see us at the first-ever Texas Audio Roundup!

All the best,
Jason
What kind of BBQ will there be served?

May 9, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #92,754 of 152,726

For me, low gain and 10 o'clock is pretty much approaching pain threshold levels with all headphones but my 600 ohms.
Interesting. What is that adapter 6SN7 to ?. I may have some already but can't be sure.

May 9, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #92,755 of 152,726
Interesting. What is that adapter 6SN7 to ?. I may have some already but can't be sure.
6SN7 to 6922

Then there are two 9 pin extenders under each tube in my case.

May 9, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #92,756 of 152,726
The best thing about Texas now is y'all are coming here to New Mexico to stock up on Cannabis while filling our tax coffers. :smile_cat:
So now I know why my oldest daughter and her husband are hell-bent on moving to NM. :D

May 9, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #92,757 of 152,726
Several months ago I was on a layover and took a nice walk. I came across a business called "Laserwash".
Not being familiar with the city, I wondered how many people had such dirty lasers that an entire industry had sprung up to take care of their needs.laser.jpeg

I used to drive a Plymouth Laser, and it certainly could have used a washing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Laser

(And before you ding me for driving a Plymouth, it was actually a rebadged mitsubishi eclipse, and my first turbo, and my first manual transmission)

May 9, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #92,758 of 152,726
I used to drive a Plymouth Laser, and it certainly could have used a washing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Laser

(And before you ding me for driving a Plymouth, it was actually a rebadged mitsubishi eclipse, and my first turbo, and my first manual transmission)
When my current wife and I got together she was driving an '92 Eagle Talon, which was the same car. Nice vehicle.

May 9, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #92,759 of 152,726
LOL now there's a bad idea. I did own a pong game back in the day, it was built into a Magnavox TV. The only tube was the CRT.

I had a Pong console... with Hockey! 🇨🇦 🍁 🇨🇦

May 9, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #92,760 of 152,726

Users who are viewing this thread

Back