Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #92,731 of 155,069
The other day we talked about how a ton of southern/hard rock and metal recordings (like The Pretty Reckless, Black Stone Cherry, et al.) often sound unbearably crappy on high(ish)-def gear.

Try a pair of Raytheon 6SN7GTBs in a Mjolnir.

Wow. 😳

The highs are rolled-off in just the right way to get rid of most of the treble compression pins-and-needles crap I was bitching on about, and the bottom end these tubes deliver is so lush and full and all-enveloping, it's like you're sticking your head out the sun roof of your raised F-350 while plowing at highway speeds through a ten-miles thick wall of weighted blankets. And if that sounds like a negative to you, you're clearly not a connoisseur of bottom-heavy guitar shreddery. 🤣

FINALLY; I can truly enjoy southern blues and hard rock on my Schiit.

Normally, I don't post animated GIFs because I find them annoying as all heck, but this one time I just have to make an exception. So, sorry in advance, but…

outside-weather.gif

Raytheon 6SN7GTB
The way shredded guitars should sound™

May 8, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #92,732 of 155,069
The other day we talked about how a ton of southern/hard rock and metal recordings (like The Pretty Reckless, Black Stone Cherry, et al.) often sound unbearably crappy on high(ish)-def gear.

Wow. 😳

The highs are rolled-off in just the right way to get rid of most of the treble compression pins-and-needles crap I was bitching on about, and the bottom end these tubes deliver is so lush and full and all-enveloping, it's like you're sticking your head out the sun roof of your raised F-350 while plowing at highway speeds through a ten-miles thick wall of weighted blankets. And if that sounds like a negative to you, you're clearly not a connoisseur of bottom-heavy guitar shreddery. 🤣

Normally, I don't post animated GIFs because I find them annoying as all heck, but this one time I just have to make an exception. So, sorry in advance, but…

Raytheon 6SN7GTB
I generally use Raytheons on the cathode follower side of the Freya, gain side gets Melz, CBS/Hytrons, or Ken-Rad black glass.

May 8, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #92,733 of 155,069
Ooooh. Now that is a (another!) good reason to fly to Texas from Australia. And Qantas fly direct Sydney to Dallas ... Not sure about sitting for 18-20 hours in economy/coach though
...and land in Dallas? No thanks.

Wow. 😳

outside-weather.gif

Raytheon 6SN7GTB
"shreddery", added to the lexicon.

May 8, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #92,734 of 155,069
...and land in Dallas? No thanks.
Could be worse. It could land in Houston. 😜

**For those who are not aware, the Dallas vs Houston rivalry is exceeded only by the Texas vs NC BBQ rivalry. And maybe Texas vs Oklahoma (state vs state, not college football), but that really ain't a fair fight so let's say Texas vs California. 😀

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #92,735 of 155,069
My experience with CMX-2 is that it just worked, both for a Hegel H360 amp and for a Holo May DAC. One additional test I'd suggest is to use the CMX-2 with just one and then the other of the Tyrs to check if there's a clear difference. If not, I'd start thinking of different causes, maybe something with the Tyrs themselves. OTOH, the behavior you reported for one of the Tyrs where the CMX-2 prevents a switch-on noise before settling into hum is compatible with the fact that DC offset can peak during switch-on surge. A couple of interesting links I found while trying to find more information:

https://www.pooraudiophile.com/2015/03/how-to-fix-dc-offset-and-transformer.html
https://relaytraining.com/what-is-dc-offset-ask-chris

Thanks, I had seen the second link, but not the first.

It gave me an idea to check the effect of some dimmed lights under my microwave. Will probably also try the suggestion of systematically turning off one breaker at a time to see if it makes any difference.

On another note, I happened to notice my furnace transformer has a decent buzz to it...maybe I can simultaneously find what is causing that!

May 8, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #92,736 of 155,069
**For those who are not aware, the Dallas vs Houston rivalry is exceeded only by the Texas vs NC BBQ rivalry. And maybe Texas vs Oklahoma (state vs state, not college football), but that really ain't a fair fight so let's say Texas vs California. 😀
You do know that we in California don't consider Texas a worthy rival, right!?

Maybe China, or Germany, but not lowly Texas...

May 8, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #92,737 of 155,069
May 8, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #92,739 of 155,069
You do know that we in California don't consider Texas a worthy rival, right!?
Well, I was being nice and throwing California a bone when I said they were a rival. :p

(I am/was just kidding. I do not want to start a state flame war -- I'll leave that to the politicians.)

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #92,740 of 155,069
I'm guessing you've spent some time in Austin based on your avatar. The sign at El Arroyo has it's own instagram page. :)
I used to travel to Austin and San Antonio on business.
The BBQ in Texas is to die for.
We have almost nothing in CA even remotely close (there are a couple, but TX is the best).

Another pro tip: if you're not visiting TX, you can get County Line food at www.airribs.com.
It is pricey, yes. But it is authentic, and it's good.

Oh, the avatar was picked up from some meme website. I've never visited El Arroyo, but it's on my bucket list 😀

May 9, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #92,741 of 155,069
Well, I was being nice and throwing California a bone when I said they were a rival. :p

(I am/was just kidding. I do not want to start a state flame war -- I'll leave that to the politicians.)
I have resided (it ain't really living in this place) in california for five decades now and I HATE this state. If I had my druthers, I would move to Aridzona but my family does not want to move. To ME, California has NOTHING to offer, but will take every thing from you. Trust me.

If pushed much further by the idiocracy, I may just leave my family to escape this pig sty of a commune and just visit them every once in a while. :L3000::beerchug:
If any feel other wise, it is because they are "feeling", not thinking, LOL!

May 9, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #92,743 of 155,069
Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #92,745 of 155,069
151B264D-1050-46C2-A42C-C8064EE82E84.jpeg

I borrowed this idea from @ArmchairPhilosopher, some of my favorite Melz 6SN7 equivalents in a Mjolnir 2, I am loving the difference in sound but have been running it for an hour or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back