Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #92,371 of 149,404
Bad grid
Lot's of switched power supplies
Modern dimmers

And lots of other things that can make a transformer hum.
I went ahead and ordered a CMX-2, as it was in stock and many folks have indicated it may resolve the issue.

As you said, since both Tyr have the same hum, doesn't seem likely to be a problem with the units themselves, but rather whats feeding them.

I will hopefully have my answer Friday.

Side note: I havent noticed issues with my grid power quality or other devices in my home causing electronic noise...however, I've never had giant audio transformers on par with Tyr in my house to bring such things out of hiding!

May 2, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #92,372 of 149,404
So it is more than likely you have to find the answer in your local system.
1 item humming can happen
2 items humming very small chance
3 items humming, close to impossible, something else is wrong, not the gear.
Just my 2 cents.
I initially thought that too but all previous and present equipment works fine except the Tyr's. They both still hum even when removed from the stereo setup and plugged in elsewhere.

May 2, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #92,373 of 149,404
I went ahead and ordered a CMX-2, as it was in stock and many folks have indicated it may resolve the issue.

As you said, since both Tyr have the same hum, doesn't seem likely to be a problem with the units themselves, but rather whats feeding them.

I will hopefully have my answer Friday.

Side note: I havent noticed issues with my grid power quality or other devices in my home causing electronic noise...however, I've never had giant audio transformers on par with Tyr in my house to bring such things out of hiding!
I look forward to your findings. Previously I ordered a "Audiolab DC Block Audio Grade Mains Filter and Current Blocker" which did not reduce the hum.

May 2, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #92,374 of 149,404
All good advice.

Always power down... I've got a power panel salvaged from an assembly at work with four or five duplex outlets. The outlet for my two soldering stations has a one-hour lighting timer as power-down backup. I rarely turn it past 30 minutes, but might do that multiple times per session.
You guys are using soldering stations with iron holders right? If I was like Cowen and was producing whiskey from corn near by I might shut down more often. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

May 2, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #92,375 of 149,404
Every single iron-core transformer in my home hums to some degree. My two Lokius power bricks are so loud, if the room's quiet enough I can hear them from the other end of the room. My two Tyrs hum, too, but you have to put your ear right next to them to hear it.
I live in an apartment community and share my hookup to the city grid with 99 other units. A complete clusterf#@& as far as power quality is concerned, and really not Schiit's fault. I don't like it, but it's just basic physics. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll be interested to hear, though, if putting a CMX-2 into the system does anything for you guys. I have one. And at least for me here, it doesn't do Schiit to fix the hum. Looks kinda cool, though. I mean, it comes with a blue LED, so it must do something, right? ;p
Same goes for CMX-6, and for CMX-2 and CMX-6 in series.
Also tried a PowerQuest3, same result. Green instead of a blue LED, though, so it's clearly not as good a product.

A PowerPlant might do the trick, but I'm just way too cheap to get one. This little bit of hum that I can't hear while listening to music anyway isn't worth shelling out 10k+tax for. Plus, it might stop the Schiit gear from humming, but there's no reason for me to assume that the PowerPlant itself won't hum. It's got a seriously beefy transformer in it that will just see the same DC offset coming from the wall. Physics is still just physics.

I've got no hum in the signal — in the end that's really all that matters to me.

May 2, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #92,376 of 149,404
You guys are using soldering stations with iron holders right? If I was like Cowen and was producing whiskey from corn near by I might shut down more often. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:
Cowen's "NC BBQ" technique of soldering. Note the firm grip and precise angle, as the well tinned tip is applied to the specific location, allowing it to reach proper temperature before applying solder. A precision instrument, wielded by a masterful hand......
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 3.37.52 PM.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #92,378 of 149,404
A few decades back, in my early days of working on electronics, I didn't have fancy Schiit like an iron holder.
One fine afternoon, my leg accidentally tugged on the iron's cable and yanked the whole thing off the table.
Let's just say that cat-like reflexes aren't always beneficial to have.

May 2, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #92,379 of 149,404
Hello,

New member here... great to be part of this forum. I thought you should know your not the only one. Both of my Tyr's were sent back today for the exact same issue. Luckily I also have a backup Aegir. Also just received a Yggy LIM that seems to have a similar hum.
Hi & welcome! Well, I wish all three of our Tyrs safe travels and successful troubleshooting. I have seen several reports of similar issues. It seems to be inconsistent from one unit to another. From one of my Tyrs I can only hear the transformer buzz within a few inches of it. The other one - several feet away. With music on it is impossible to hear. However, when music isn't playing (and the transformer hums continue whether on standby or not) it is noticeable and not a pleasant sound. I remember some Vidars having a similar issue. I think Jason said if you could hear it from your listening position, then it was louder than it should be. That's definitely the case with this Tyr.

May 2, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #92,380 of 149,404
A few decades back, in my early days of working on electronics, I didn't have fancy Schiit like an iron holder.
One fine afternoon, my leg accidentally tugged on the iron's cable and yanked the whole thing off the table.
Let's just say that cat-like reflexes aren't always beneficial to have.
Speaking of cats, I once had a Persian wave his tail across a candle; it started smoking like crazy. I was in the middle of an online card tournament and had to apologize when I got back cause my cat was on fire.😀

Finnegan knows better, he feels the heat from my soldering irons and never gets too close.
To me candles are more dangerous.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #92,381 of 149,404
I look forward to your findings. Previously I ordered a "Audiolab DC Block Audio Grade Mains Filter and Current Blocker" which did not reduce the hum.

it was said in another forum, that possibly the the transformers need tightening. The 4 screws that hold the laminate together might not be tight enough?. I would have tried that first.

May 2, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #92,382 of 149,404

Iron holders for both. My power panel is mounted in a Formica-clad plywood box. That's one step up from cardboard, isn't it?

May 2, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #92,383 of 149,404
it was said in another forum, that possibly the the transformers need tightening. The 4 screws that hold the laminate together might not be tight enough?. I would have tried that first.
Certainly possible but I would not want to void the warranty. Better to have Schiit make that determination and adjust if necessary.

May 2, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #92,384 of 149,404
Every single iron-core transformer in my home hums to some degree. My two Lokius power bricks are so loud, if the room's quiet enough I can hear them from the other end of the room. My two Tyrs hum, too, but you have to put your ear right next to them to hear it.
I live in an apartment community and share my hookup to the city grid with 99 other units. A complete clusterf#@& as far as power quality is concerned, and really not Schiit's fault. I don't like it, but it's just basic physics. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll be interested to hear, though, if putting a CMX-2 into the system does anything for you guys. I have one. And at least for me here, it doesn't do Schiit to fix the hum. Looks kinda cool, though. I mean, it comes with a blue LED, so it must do something, right? ;p
Same goes for CMX-6, and for CMX-2 and CMX-6 in series.
Also tried a PowerQuest3, same result. Green instead of a blue LED, though, so it's clearly not as good a product.

A PowerPlant might do the trick, but I'm just way too cheap to get one. This little bit of hum that I can't hear while listening to music anyway isn't worth shelling out 10k+tax for. Plus, it might stop the Schiit gear from humming, but there's no reason for me to assume that the PowerPlant itself won't hum. It's got a seriously beefy transformer in it that will just see the same DC offset coming from the wall. Physics is still just physics.

I've got no hum in the signal — in the end that's really all that matters to me.
Thanks for the info on the cmx's and such in your application...this is a tricky one to diagnose and solve for sure.

Also, heads up for anyone looking at the CMX-2 or CMX-6...the '6' model does NOT have the DC Offset Elimination functionality. Initially I had assumed they were the same, with the '6' simply having more receptacles...which was incorrect.

May 2, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #92,385 of 149,404
You are one glorious, insane schiithead... I salute you, sir. For my 52nd birthday, I finally picked up a Hakko soldering station, Fluke Multimeter, and basic odds and ends to start messing around with non-lethal (less-lethal) circuits.
You are a wise man and you will do well. Happy Birthday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back