Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #92,341 of 151,060
Oh thank you. Just the same tubes would do fine.
You're this old man's hero. (blink, blink, blink)

toobz.png

There you go.

The above is meant as preview. You can download a ZIP of this cropped and color graded version as 16 bit TIFF as well as the original raw file here.
For those who don't want to deal with a massive TIFF file, a PNG of the cropped and color graded version can be found here.

I'm putting this in the public domain, so you or anybody else can do with it as they please.
Attribution is appreciated but not required.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #92,342 of 151,060
May 2, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #92,343 of 151,060
So, I received my PS Vane CV-181s for my Freya today. Plugged them in and listened to a few test tracks. Then I went back to the stock JJs. The PS Vanes are definitely more clear and the bass is more controlled. I would NOT say it is "Night and Day" or anything. Incrementally better. But, better. I have some Melz coming - in JUNE! But, I will be interested to hear the differences there.

May 2, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #92,344 of 151,060
So, I received my PS Vane CV-181s for my Freya today. Plugged them in and listened to a few test tracks. Then I went back to the stock JJs. The PS Vanes are definitely more clear and the bass is more controlled. I would NOT say it is "Night and Day" or anything. Incrementally better. But, better. I have some Melz coming - in JUNE! But, I will be interested to hear the differences there.
You should here more difference with the Melz, IMHO that is. There have been some issues of solder failing in the tube pins, if you have any issues at all with the Melz pins I will fix them gratis.

May 2, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #92,345 of 151,060
toobz.png

There you go.

The above is meant as preview. You can download a ZIP of this cropped and color graded version as 16 bit TIFF as well as the original raw file here.
For those who don't want to deal with a massive TIFF file, a PNG of the cropped and color graded version can be found here.

I'm putting this in the public domain, so you or anybody else can do with it as they please.

I may have to do a photo with all Melz and socket extenders. :ksc75smile: I also need to get around to removing some very good tubes from PVC capsules that were used for blind testing.IMG_0977.jpgMr. Cowen helped in making some socket extenders as I recall, I wanted all pins to match.

May 2, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #92,346 of 151,060
I may have to do a photo with all Melz and socket extenders. :ksc75smile: I also need to get around to removing some very good tubes from PVC capsules that were used for blind testing.Mr. Cowen helped in making some socket extenders as I recall, I wanted all pins to match.
You're welcome to send me two more of your Melz and I'm happy to take such a photo of them for you… 😇🤣

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #92,347 of 151,060
I have never, ever been able to audibly detect one.
Maybe if Urd is there and I can do really A/B compare with CD.
Wait, the watermark will be on the CD too.
I'll live with the doubt of watermarks for the rest of my life.
Or one could go vinyl where that slight flutter (and wow) is expected and more willingly tolerated (up to a point). :smirk:

May 2, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #92,348 of 151,060
I may have to do a photo with all Melz and socket extenders. :ksc75smile: I also need to get around to removing some very good tubes from PVC capsules that were used for blind testing.IMG_0977.jpgMr. Cowen helped in making some socket extenders as I recall, I wanted all pins to match.

Have you tried testing to see if a different dielectric other than PVC affects the sound of the tube? :D

May 2, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #92,350 of 151,060
Or one could go vinyl where that slight flutter (and wow) is expected and more willingly tolerated (up to a point). :smirk:
And the ticks, clicks, hiss, monofied bass, no more than 30 dB dynamic range, a lot of hassle and much more.

Vinyl is for a fun moment only after lots of careful preparation on my Sol.

May 2, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #92,351 of 151,060
Have you tried testing to see if a different dielectric other than PVC affects the sound of the tube? :D
Hell no😃😃😃. To be honest I was a little surprised my vent system worked as well as it did. No tubes were ever damaged in the process. Buried in PVC are a Bad Boy, black glass Ken-Rad, and a Tung Sol BGRP. Removing them is messy business.1DA0619D-0F19-4C53-8644-4D07BB5D1F5E.jpeg

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #92,352 of 151,060
toobz.png

There you go.

Thank you. It's in.

May 2, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #92,353 of 151,060
toobz.png

There you go.

Beautiful photo! The Freya sure is a sexy-looking amp. (Perhaps not unsurprisingly, it being named after the goddess of love and fertility, after all.)

May 2, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #92,354 of 151,060
This is one of my favorite tube amp shots that I took over a decade ago.
EL 34's? To me it has the look of a Dynaco ST-70 mod but Sam6550A would know better than me.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #92,355 of 151,060
Hell no😃😃😃. To be honest I was a little surprised my vent system worked as well as it did. No tubes were ever damaged in the process. Buried in PVC are a Bad Boy, black glass Ken-Rad, and a Tung Sol BGRP. Removing them is messy business.1DA0619D-0F19-4C53-8644-4D07BB5D1F5E.jpeg
You are one glorious, insane schiithead... I salute you, sir. For my 52nd birthday, I finally picked up a Hakko soldering station, Fluke Multimeter, and basic odds and ends to start messing around with non-lethal (less-lethal) circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back