Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #92,356 of 151,060
Received in an email from Paul McGowan today:

In a blog post from software engineer, Matt Montag, he describes the following:
Paul McGowan finally heard about it? That's way out of date now. UMG removed their watermarking around 2019-2020
To distribute the original article and not include an update now is spreading misinformation.
https://www.mattmontag.com/music/an-update-on-umg-watermarks

I have never, ever been able to audibly detect one.
Maybe if Urd is there and I can do really A/B compare with CD.
Wait, the watermark will be on the CD too.
I'll live with the doubt of watermarks for the rest of my life.
UMG put watermarks on streaming audio and download file purchases for a few years. It was never on CDs (never seen anybody report it).
I was able to hear watermarks easily on Spotify and Tidal, but Qobuz never had it (I believe at Qobuz' insistence).
UMG have replaced streaming files with versions without watermarks and it is no longer an issue. Let's put it to rest.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #92,357 of 151,060
Hell no😃😃😃. To be honest I was a little surprised my vent system worked as well as it did. No tubes were ever damaged in the process. Buried in PVC are a Bad Boy, black glass Ken-Rad, and a Tung Sol BGRP. Removing them is messy business.

looks like a crime scene :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #92,358 of 151,060
May 2, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #92,360 of 151,060
You are one glorious, insane schiithead... I salute you, sir. For my 52nd birthday, I finally picked up a Hakko soldering station, Fluke Multimeter, and basic odds and ends to start messing around with non-lethal (less-lethal) circuits.

sounds like trouble :ksc75smile:

always power down the soldering station, even if you are just leaving the work area "for just a minute".
likely you are thinking about building a coaster amp or two...IMO get familiar and comfortable with thru-hole PCB soldering first.
SMT needs a fine tip, thin diameter solder, tweezers, magnifier, a steady hand, and a bit of patience.
DIY RCA or XLR interconnects will need a bigger soldering iron tip and medium diameter solder. triple check for shorts before connecting to equipment.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #92,361 of 151,060
Yes, it is a modified ST-70 with 3-12AU7 in the driver and phase inverter stages.
I may not know some things but I generally know those who do. A little tube glow. E1B03537-FACA-4170-A59B-14EA028255F3.jpeg

May 2, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #92,362 of 151,060
To my memory I can't think of another tube amplifier that has been so often modified by so many different individuals as the Dyna Stereo 70. I had an acquaintance in Milwaukee who did upgrades on them. Didn't Frank Van Alstine also do a ST-70 mod? I owned his original 2C's at one point decades ago, a great sounding speaker.

Or was that Vandersteen?

Edit: Yes, the 2C was a Vandersteen model.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #92,363 of 151,060
The thing about Aegir is that it isn't particularly veiled and closed in sounding. Not in comparison to most other amps I've heard. It projects plenty of air and easily keeps up with the best of them.
Well Tyr #1 is with Fedex now, en route back to the fine folks at Schiit headquarters to sort out (hopefully) the hum. Meanwhile, Aegir is back in and dang it really is just such a great amp too. Such a sweet and entrancing tone from it. Still sticking with the Tyrs, but as Aragorn said to the hobbits at the end of Return of the King, he might as well be speaking to Aegir: "You bow to no one."

May 2, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #92,364 of 151,060
To my memory I can't think of another tube amplifier that has been so often modified by so many different individuals as the Dyna Stereo 70. I had an acquaintance in Milwaukee who did upgrades on them. Didn't Frank Van Alstine also do a ST-70 mod? I owned his original 2C's at one point decades ago, a great sounding speaker.
I know Van Alstine did mods for later amps as I did myself. There was a point in time where Dynaco sold more speakers than anyone in the world and their kit prices kept consumer costs fairly low. Some of their tube gear caused me to return to the tube sound I grew up with, one last amp and I will be set for the remainder of my life. :beerchug:

May 2, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #92,365 of 151,060
I know Van Alstine did mods for later amps as I did myself. There was a point in time where Dynaco sold more speakers than anyone in the world and their kit prices kept consumer costs fairly low. Some of their tube gear caused me to return to the tube sound I grew up with, one last amp and I will be set for the remainder of my life. :beerchug:
One last amp is all you need?

May 2, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #92,366 of 151,060
One last amp is all you need?

LOL it has been a long time since I have seen that. Now mind you I have two other tube amps I like so the final one will give me a choice of three minimum for two channel use. :ksc75smile:

May 2, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #92,367 of 151,060
Well Tyr #1 is with Fedex now, en route back to the fine folks at Schiit headquarters to sort out (hopefully) the hum. Meanwhile, Aegir is back in and dang it really is just such a great amp too. Such a sweet and entrancing tone from it. Still sticking with the Tyrs, but as Aragorn said to the hobbits at the end of Return of the King, he might as well be speaking to Aegir: "You bow to no one."
Hello,

New member here... great to be part of this forum. I thought you should know your not the only one. Both of my Tyr's were sent back today for the exact same issue. Luckily I also have a backup Aegir. Also just received a Yggy LIM that seems to have a similar hum.

May 2, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #92,368 of 151,060
sounds like trouble :ksc75smile:

always power down the soldering station, even if you are just leaving the work area "for just a minute".
likely you are thinking about building a coaster amp or two...IMO get familiar and comfortable with thru-hole PCB soldering first.
SMT needs a fine tip, thin diameter solder, tweezers, magnifier, a steady hand, and a bit of patience.
DIY RCA or XLR interconnects will need a bigger soldering iron tip and medium diameter solder. triple check for shorts before connecting to equipment.

All good advice.

Always power down... I've got a power panel salvaged from an assembly at work with four or five duplex outlets. The outlet for my two soldering stations has a one-hour lighting timer as power-down backup. I rarely turn it past 30 minutes, but might do that multiple times per session.

The link above is inconsistent. Try this amazon link.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #92,370 of 151,060
Hello,

New member here... great to be part of this forum. I thought you should know your not the only one. Both of my Tyr's were sent back today for the exact same issue. Luckily I also have a backup Aegir. Also just received a Yggy LIM that seems to have a similar hum.
So it is more than likely you have to find the answer in your local system.
1 item humming can happen
2 items humming very small chance
3 items humming, close to impossible, something else is wrong, not the gear.
Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back