Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 1, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #92,266 of 149,402
May 1, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #92,268 of 149,402
Still listening. Westinghouse in the left, Melz in the right (as seen in that photo).
It sounds like I really do get the best of both worlds this way, and I'm not mad about it! 😁
The right combination can be magical in a Freya +. I could only tell the Melz in the photo since they are so distinctive lol.

May 1, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #92,269 of 149,402
Interesting! I don't have any tubes in the System 'o Tyrs, as I'm using the Benchmark LA4 for a pre-amp downstairs. But since my first over-the-top, early-stage-fanboi post regarding the power of the Tyrs... yes, I can confirm that it's only gotten more insane in the last weeks...

I left Loki Max bypassed for the first two weeks or so, and focused on moving the speakers around to reduce the strong upper mid-bass prominence - I wouldn't call it boom, but it was a marked change in sonic signature from the mono Vidars. I think that I told y'all that I ended up moving the speakers out almost a foot (more) from the wall, and experimented with widening their placement (slightly), then reducing their toe-in (a lot). I found that it was difficult to move them precisely with the carpet spikes for the IsoAcoustics GAIA-IIs in place, so I laid the B&Ws over on their sides and gently pried the carpet spikes' cups off the bottom of the isolators...

...and found that all of the moving around had loosened the GAIAs quite a bit... their mounting studs had backed out maybe a half to a full turn. Being quite @n@l-retentive (although @ArmchairPhilosopher probably supersedes me in this affliction), I removed the GAIAs, re-checked and tightened their M6 studs, and re-installed them. By the way, I was a originally a skeptic regarding the GAIAs, but I think that they are one of the best mods I have made to they system, at least on the transducer side of the equation.

What I have ended up with is a wi-i-i-ide and deep soundstage that was ever-so-slightly missing the highs I enjoyed so much from the B&Ws, probably because I had toed them out so far. But at the same time, occasional shrill-ness I heard on some recordings was gone, too. That was a good development, for sure. So I switched Loki Max to flat on Preset 3, switched it into the circuit, and commenced to make some minor tweaks. None of the pots on the Loki Max are more than three clicks from center, and things are sounding just freaking off-the-damned-wall amazing.

I'm in the maximum "off-axis" seat right now, in my office, upstairs. All the sound up here is reflected at least twice, and yeah it's mono and yeah the soundstage is collapsed, but... it sounds so rich and full that it's hard to believe. I call it my off-axis test and IMHO it's more telling that sitting directly in the sweet spot in front of the speakers... but what do I know? :)

I can actually hear how Yggy "sounds" now. The whole PRaT thing (yeah, I know what "prat" means to the Brits!) - almost every song I hear seems slowed down in time; the level of detail that pervades every instrument's track is stunning, and I'm tapping my foot like an idiot when the music makes me tap my foot... wow. Yggy rocks with Tyr.

Dudes, those guys can SING!

Another happy Schiit customer,

/Don
Thanks for the insight. Hard to find much information on the sound of the TYR. I am still on the fence and the mid bass hump thing is scaring me since I am in a small room. I am sure I will need a Loki to tame that bass down. Do you notice any hum from the Tyr, even in standby mode? This issue is being discussed in another forum.

May 1, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #92,270 of 149,402
There you go, Sir. Do with it as you see fit. 😜

Thanks but that's not the framing I like so much.
Can I give you a link to upload the original of that one so I can make it print-ready myself?
I would be very much obliged.

Edit 1: This would be my cut and process.

ShiitTubes.jpeg

Edit 2: Fixed the print too.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #92,271 of 149,402
Thanks for the insight. Hard to find much information on the sound of the TYR. I am still on the fence and the mid bass hump thing is scaring me since I am in a small room. I am sure I will need a Loki to tame that bass down. Do you notice any hum from the Tyr, even in standby mode? This issue is being discussed in another forum.
No hum whatsoever
No mid bass hump whatsoever
Perfect Total Control.

May 1, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #92,272 of 149,402
Every once in a while we talk about cables. Some of us are "believers", some are "agnostic", some are "skeptics".
We all believe in high quality cables, I think.

In that vein, as an agnostic, I present this interesting paper. I am hoping that those of you that can read and understand scientific and statistical documents may offer insights above and beyond those in the paper.

http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf

May 1, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #92,273 of 149,402
Every once in a while we talk about cables. Some of us are "believers", some are "agnostic", some are "skeptics".
We all believe in high quality cables, I think.

In that vein, as an agnostic, I present this interesting paper. I am hoping that those of you that can read and understand scientific and statistical documents may offer insights above and beyond those in the paper.

http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf
LOL I am trying to pretend that I did not spend nearly 17 years in that industry, I will try to read it in the next couple days. :ksc75smile:

May 1, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #92,274 of 149,402
The article is subject to interpretation apparently. It loads a blank page - at least on my phone. 😀

May 1, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #92,275 of 149,402
Thanks but that's not the framing I like so much.
Can I give you a link to upload the original of that one so I can make it print-ready myself?
I would be very much obliged.

Edit 1: This would be my cut and process.

ShiitTubes.jpeg

Edit 2: Fixed the print too.
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but those are two different photos. The one I posted this morning was taken with a DSLR and proper lighting specifically in response to your post, the one you referenced was just a quick snapshot done with my phone. They're also different tubes. :)

You're welcome to an original copy of the one you apparently like more, just send me that link you mentioned and you can have it. Just be aware that it's shot with a phone and will never look particularly decent in print, no matter how much you process it. :)

May 1, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #92,276 of 149,402
I just read an article about beer consumption in the USA per year per capita and New Hampshire leads the nation with 41.5 gallons. Congrats. My own state Arizona lags far behind at 27, so we have work to do. The most disturbing part of the report, however, was that in 29 states the number one brand consumed was Budweiser. Come on people, we can do better!
Budweiser. OMG.

BTW, Canada and particularly Quebec make some great beers!

As you can probably tell from my handle my heritage is Belgian, so to me that's the world standard for beer. 😁

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #92,277 of 149,402
Yes, sadly - one of my Tyrs hums a bit louder than it should. I can hear the hum/buzz 3-4 feet away from the amp. The other Tyr hum can only be heard within few inches of the unit. So Schiit wants to take another look at the louder unit, so it will be heading back to Schiit tomorrow... BUT......hum aside....the Tyrs are spectacular! I had been using a single Aegir previously, which was my gold standard. I returned the Pass XA-30.8 and the Van Alstine M225 monos in favor of the Aegir, which I preferred. And if I hadn't gotten the Tyrs I would have been happy with Aegir. But now that the Tyrs have fully settled in and blossomed...I am astounded by what I hear. In music I have heard thousands of times before I am hearing new things, and in NEW ways. There is an intimacy to the music that at times has surprised me so much it nearly made me teary. The spaciousness, separation and clarity in the music is absolutely amazing.

As I said, the sound with the Aegir in my system was world class. I mean, Aegir IS on the Stereophile Class A Recommended List for a reason. It IS amazing. But with the Tyrs I did not realize how veiled and closed in the sound was with Aegir. It's like fat I didn't know was there has been trimmed away. And the Tyr bass control is serious and solid. Aegir doesn't put out LESS bass in my system, just less controlled bass, which makes for a "flabbier" bass sound. With the subs turned off, Aegir puts out enough bass that my toes vibrate. But the Tyrs provide bass with a precision - maybe the middle toe of my left foot and little toe of my right vibrate - just as the...artist....intended...? Well I don't know about that, but you get the idea I hope. Plenty of bass, with pinpoint precision. I will be sad to be without the Tyr(s) now so soon, but am hopeful it comes back quickly in great shape and no loud hum.

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #92,278 of 149,402
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but those are two different photos. The one I posted this morning was taken with a DSLR and proper lighting specifically in response to your post, the one you referenced was just a quick snapshot done with my phone. They're also different tubes. :)

You're welcome to an original copy of the one you apparently like more, just send me that link you mentioned and you can have it. Just be aware that it's shot with a phone and will never look particularly decent in print, no matter how much you process it. :)
Am aware of that indeed so there's a problem for me. The best file I could make (and I really know how to do that) produced a disaster on paper.
The second picture is far better in quality and debt of field etc.
The first picture would with a minor tweak has a far better composition.
But beggars can't be choosers. The first shot "re-shot" with the DSLR on a tripod at maximum aperture would be fantastic.
Again. It would make my day and the print would go on the wall somewhere in my house but..... (now I am manipulating).... I can only hope....... :xf_cool:
I could off course commend you for a medal from somewhere in the US government but that takes time.

May 1, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #92,279 of 149,402
Yes, sadly - one of my Tyrs hums a bit louder than it should. I can hear the hum/buzz 3-4 feet away from the amp. The other Tyr hum can only be heard within few inches of the unit. So Schiit wants to take another look at the louder unit, so it will be heading back to Schiit tomorrow... BUT......hum aside....the Tyrs are spectacular! I had been using a single Aegir previously, which was my gold standard. I returned the Pass XA-30.8 and the Van Alstine M225 monos in favor of the Aegir, which I preferred. And if I hadn't gotten the Tyrs I would have been happy with Aegir. But now that the Tyrs have fully settled in and blossomed...I am astounded by what I hear. In music I have heard thousands of times before I am hearing new things, and in NEW ways. There is an intimacy to the music that at times has surprised me so much it nearly made me teary. The spaciousness, separation and clarity in the music is absolutely amazing.

As I said, the sound with the Aegir in my system was world class. I mean, Aegir IS on the Stereophile Class A Recommended List for a reason. It IS amazing. But with the Tyrs I did not realize how veiled and closed in the sound was with Aegir. It's like fat I didn't know was there has been trimmed away. And the Tyr bass control is serious and solid. Aegir doesn't put out LESS bass in my system, just less controlled bass, which makes for a "flabbier" bass sound. With the subs turned off, Aegir puts out enough bass that my toes vibrate. But the Tyrs provide bass with a precision - maybe the middle toe of my left foot and little toe of my right vibrate - just as the...artist....intended...? Well I don't know about that, but you get the idea I hope. Plenty of bass, with pinpoint precision. I will be sad to be without the Tyr(s) now so soon, but am hopeful it comes back quickly in great shape and no loud hum.

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG
Woof, sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back