Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #92,236 of 151,085
Do not help!!!
Fine. I'll go back to breaking in my new outlet cover. It's made from very special non-magnetic carbon fiber (with nano crystals even) which we all know needs considerably more break-in time than ordinary carbon fiber. :laughing: :laughing:

1651370495770.png

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #92,239 of 151,085
I just read an article about beer consumption in the USA per year per capita and New Hampshire leads the nation with 41.5 gallons. Congrats. My own state Arizona lags far behind at 27, so we have work to do. The most disturbing part of the report, however, was that in 29 states the number one brand consumed was Budweiser. Come on people, we can do better!
You can't drink 41.5 gallons of real beer, you wouldn't enjoy it. However, you can either chug Bud when you're thirsty, or swill it when you want to get drunk and don't care about how you get there.

Which begs the question - To accomplish this feat, where is the ear to blow in to?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives...Can I get a "Ditto!"?

North Carolina is what happens when Virginia and Tennessee have an illegitimate child. 😜
Are there legitimate children there...

Ditto!

Ditto?

I will also give the gov'ner a "Harumph!!"
Schitt, you beat me to it. But then, I was avoiding this thread until the Schittizens quit talking about their bulges.

Eh...

Without even googling...

Canadian Hi-Fi companies:

Bryston - amps, dacs, etc
Totem Acoustic - speakers
Oracle - turntables
NAD - umbrella company, full stack audio brands, eg Bluesound streamers, receivers, amps, speakers, etc
Classé - amplifiers
Mirage - speakers
Magnum Dynalab - tuners, amps
PSB - speakers
Paradigm - speakers
Meitner - DACs
Fluance - turntables, speakers

Now I'm googling for companies I've already heard of:

Energy - speakers
Anthem - receivers
Angstrom - speakers
Sim Audio - amplifiers
Mapletree - speakers
Audio Note - DIY kits
Dahlquist - speakers
Energy - speakers

In addition Google returns a bunch of companies I've never heard of and thus won't comment on.

That's just hi-fi. Canada makes lots of stuff. For instance, an "invisible" bit of manufacturing is that if your car was made in Detroit MI, it includes parts made in Ontario.

Oh, and plenty of whiskey (with an "e", not Scotch) ☺☺
If you didn't remind people about Energy speakers, I would have. Their Pro 22 were wonderful in the late '80s. I've never seen a pair on the used market.

Those would be awful nice in a PrimaLuna 😜 8 of those and 6 12AU7’s.
I do have one wonderful piece of tiger maple but it is still too thick for dovetail joints.🤪
Contrary to what @bcowen said: resaw. That way you only lose the kerf.

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #92,240 of 151,085
For the first time ever with this system, I find myself having to switch Lokius into bypass mode.
Interesting! I don't have any tubes in the System 'o Tyrs, as I'm using the Benchmark LA4 for a pre-amp downstairs. But since my first over-the-top, early-stage-fanboi post regarding the power of the Tyrs... yes, I can confirm that it's only gotten more insane in the last weeks...

I left Loki Max bypassed for the first two weeks or so, and focused on moving the speakers around to reduce the strong upper mid-bass prominence - I wouldn't call it boom, but it was a marked change in sonic signature from the mono Vidars. I think that I told y'all that I ended up moving the speakers out almost a foot (more) from the wall, and experimented with widening their placement (slightly), then reducing their toe-in (a lot). I found that it was difficult to move them precisely with the carpet spikes for the IsoAcoustics GAIA-IIs in place, so I laid the B&Ws over on their sides and gently pried the carpet spikes' cups off the bottom of the isolators...

...and found that all of the moving around had loosened the GAIAs quite a bit... their mounting studs had backed out maybe a half to a full turn. Being quite @n@l-retentive (although @ArmchairPhilosopher probably supersedes me in this affliction), I removed the GAIAs, re-checked and tightened their M6 studs, and re-installed them. By the way, I was a originally a skeptic regarding the GAIAs, but I think that they are one of the best mods I have made to they system, at least on the transducer side of the equation.

What I have ended up with is a wi-i-i-ide and deep soundstage that was ever-so-slightly missing the highs I enjoyed so much from the B&Ws, probably because I had toed them out so far. But at the same time, occasional shrill-ness I heard on some recordings was gone, too. That was a good development, for sure. So I switched Loki Max to flat on Preset 3, switched it into the circuit, and commenced to make some minor tweaks. None of the pots on the Loki Max are more than three clicks from center, and things are sounding just freaking off-the-damned-wall amazing.

I'm in the maximum "off-axis" seat right now, in my office, upstairs. All the sound up here is reflected at least twice, and yeah it's mono and yeah the soundstage is collapsed, but... it sounds so rich and full that it's hard to believe. I call it my off-axis test and IMHO it's more telling that sitting directly in the sweet spot in front of the speakers... but what do I know? :)

I can actually hear how Yggy "sounds" now. The whole PRaT thing (yeah, I know what "prat" means to the Brits!) - almost every song I hear seems slowed down in time; the level of detail that pervades every instrument's track is stunning, and I'm tapping my foot like an idiot when the music makes me tap my foot... wow. Yggy rocks with Tyr.

Dudes, those guys can SING!

Another happy Schiit customer,

/Don

May 1, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #92,242 of 151,085
May 1, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #92,249 of 151,085
So in fact you use valves as EQ yes?
The simple answer would be yes. Some valves sound better to my ears and I am pretty selective about the combinations I use. Occasionally I will change them depending on the music involved.

I have done enough work with 6sn7's to know the sound I want to impart on the gain stage of a Freya + or a Lyr 3 or an Incubus Elegan. There is a tube type that was produced over a forty year span that can give me subtle differences. If I want greater change I might go with a specific Sylvania, Ken-Rad, or Tung Sol tube.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #92,250 of 151,085

Oops, of course. I knew that. As penance, I'll "check out the end of the flick" again, then skip back to the beginning and watch the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back