Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #91,171 of 151,311
I’m no wordsmith. But I jotted down some notes on the new Try amps.
First change was to turn down the sub.
Depth and clarity.
Micro details
Drums and percussion are amazing.
Several times I’ve walked away and came back meaning to research something or another. Half an hour later I’ve forgotten what I was going to do. Too busy listening.
Vidars ran at 109, Trys maxed at 101 with a higher ambient room temp. Power output seems very similar based on the Freya volume dial.

Mike and Jason are gods.

Yes, I’d say gain of 2x Vidar and 2x Tyr are similar for me. At lower volume Tyrs are cooler, not surprising given the larger form factor. I look forward to having the house to myself to push them tomorrow

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #91,173 of 151,311
They gave up on the SOL. Not surprising. Sort of like Google Fiber giving up about on stuff. They dug up my street and ran conduit then they quit.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #91,174 of 151,311
Let's not upset our Jersey friends. They have some great peaches too.
"Consumers seek out New Jersey peaches, which are generally considered to be some of the best in the country. “All our peaches are picked by hand at the height of their sugar content."
I like to BBQ peaches.
I've never sampled NJ peaches so I won't pass judgement except for the cooking technique. Grilled peaches are a thing, BBQ'd peaches (probably) are not. :beerchug:
Hmmmmm. I am not (currently) a peach connoisseur. Do you use a tomato-based sauce, or vinegar? :laughing:
Grilled peaches do not need sauce...
Amaretto and a little butter. Cook them to almost burnt.
...Except for maybe amaretto and butter which I haven't tried. Yet.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #91,175 of 151,311
I just read disturbing news on another forum. The OP of the thread, mentioned receiving an email from Schiit, suggesting that URD may not happen; might not be released...! Very surprising, if true...? 😲
I'd take that with a huge grain of salt. Based on everything that's been going on at Schiit in recent months my guess would be that Urd was put on hold until next year. As much as a lot of people around here are anticipating its release; it's a CD transport, not exactly a high-volume item for them. With the limited bandwidth that the team at Schiit has available, I simply think that they may have just decided that they can serve the community better by focusing on more pressing releases first.

Also, and more importantly:
Emails from Schiit come from their customer support, not Jason or Mike, and Schiit's customer support never gives out any info on upcoming products, period. Until you've heard it from either Jason or Mike that Urd is shelved temporarily or for good, I'd continue under the assumption that it's simply still stuck in development hell.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #91,176 of 151,311
I just read disturbing news on another forum. The OP of the thread, mentioned receiving an email from Schiit, suggesting that URD may not happen; might not be released...! Very surprising, if true...? 😲
Would be surprising given how much effort has been put forth and how much teasing of it there’s been. I’ve been waiting for it myself, playing stuff through a blu ray player. If it’s not gonna happen, I’ll probably get a Cambridge

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #91,179 of 151,311
I'd take that with a huge grain of salt. Based on everything that's been going on at Schiit in recent months my guess would be that Urd was put on hold until next year. As much as a lot of people around here are anticipating its release; it's a CD transport, not exactly a high-volume item for them. With the limited bandwidth that the team at Schiit has available, I simply think that they may have just decided that they can serve the community better by focusing on more pressing releases first.

Emails from Schiit come from their customer support, not Jason or Mike, and Schiit's customer support never gives out any info on upcoming products, period. Until you've heard it from either Jason or Mike that Urd is shelved temporarily or for good, I'd continue under the assumption that it's simply still stuck in development hell.
Tinfoil hat time. It feels like bait to get an official response.

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #91,180 of 151,311
I feel like I was cheated of my time with big floppy disks. I came around to computers they were already on the High Denisty 3.5" ones.
It’s never too late to enjoy the past. I was too late to enjoy computers with big front panels and blinkenlights during their heyday.

Attachments

• CF9AF445-EFEF-4C30-8E3D-D52A03048572.jpeg
    CF9AF445-EFEF-4C30-8E3D-D52A03048572.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #91,181 of 151,311
Just to play devil's advocate for a second…
I only ever need the icons for the first day or so of use until muscle memory kicks in. After that initial phase, I never notice them again.
So, at least for me personally, I'd rather have small icons on my gear that look sleek and well proportioned from a product design and general esthetics point of view than something oversized that just makes the gear look unnecessarily ( <- highly subjective, of course) busy.

I'm a sucker for the Bauhaus school of product design. Less is always more for me, and I know that I'm in somewhat of a minority on that front.
But still.
Just my two cents… 😁
I too am a sucker for Bauhaus school of design. I find a problem with many remotes is you have rows or exactly the same button for a wide variety of functions. Some remotes are limited to one button cloned multiple times, as opposed to a different shape. My integrated amp remote has to wedge shaped buttons for volume up and down. Some Bauhaus style remotes have a very few number of buttons but they are exactly alike.
Compare this to automobiles; (pre-Tesla, pre-Merceded Benz with they single control stick thingy). You have a steering wheel, hard to mistake for a clutch, a brake pedal, hard mistake for window control, a light switch, hard to mistake for a transmission, etc.
I would like to see a remote with some limited essential button-type devices, with the shape, style, feel and forth of the "buttons" that somehow makes the function obvious, or at least different.

Spotted at @bcowen's house

remote.jpeg
A bit of genius, I say. Kinda solves my issue above.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #91,182 of 151,311
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #91,184 of 151,311

One of the many great things about Schiit, it is run but the engineers and they won't release a product until it is really ready. Many other companies will release product before they are ready, just to make the number for next quarter. Also Schiit is a private company, so they do not have to "make the books look good."
There are a lot of companies where, I would wait six months to a year before I bought a new product, just to make sure the bugs are worked out. I feel comfortable being a first adopter with Schiit products. So I appreciate the wait.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #91,185 of 151,311
I Googled and found it on Steve Hoffman: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/schiit-audio-cdt-urd.1143077/
It is vague, doesn't describe the circumstances for the email, and doesn't quote the actual content in the email. Even if true, it's a badly written post with very little information.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back