Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #91,201 of 152,959
Apr 15, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #91,203 of 152,959
Audio-Head just posted a recap of the Schiitr LISST event here.
Interesting. I wonder if these current (2nd Gen LISST's) are different somehow from the OG ones?
Perhaps Jason will address this in a post at some point.
I've got enough tubes of excellent quality in all types, for the various amps I have, to last well beyond my expiration date.
But I'm always looking to be able to have a variety of sound palettes available to apply to my listening.

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #91,204 of 152,959
Ok, now I want a Freya + simply for the LISST option - in black ofc.

I also need to find a way to get my hands on a coaster amp. I have the coasters, but no parts. If you can part with one, I will gladly pay for parts, assembly, and shipping. I don't have the fine motor control anymore that I need to assemble one myself.

What service does everyone here use to sell gently love audio gear? I have two preamps that I want to get rid of, two parasound amps, and other assorted gear.

I love this thread. You guys are excellent enablers of the audio "habit"

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #91,205 of 152,959

I also need to find a way to get my hands on a coaster amp. I have the coasters, but no parts. If you can part with one, I will gladly pay for parts, assembly, and shipping. I don't have the fine motor control anymore that I need to assemble one myself.

What service does everyone here use to sell gently love audio gear? I have two preamps that I want to get rid of, two parasound amps, and other assorted gear.

I sold all my Sumo gear on US Audio Mart, good results

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #91,206 of 152,959
🤣

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #91,208 of 152,959
My TV and internet service have been exceptional since the fiber became available here some 15 years back.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #91,209 of 152,959
Interesting. I wonder if these current (2nd Gen LISST's) are different somehow from the OG ones?
Perhaps Jason will address this in a post at some point.
I've got enough tubes of excellent quality in all types, for the various amps I have, to last well beyond my expiration date.
But I'm always looking to be able to have a variety of sound palettes available to apply to my listening.

Short answer: 2nd gen LISST was going to be different, but ended up being the same. Sometimes my great ideas ain't so great.

Ah, but I should also specify: electrically the same. The case will be different, with a phenolic base and rounded top, rather than the older squarish version. However, both will perform the same.

And yeah, full speed ahead on new LISST...

Oh

And by the way, we did do the blind wine tasting...and the Texas wine won (William Chris Rio Frio Syrah 2019 vs Caraccioli Cellars 2019 Syrah), plus a "ringer" of a California red blend that costs about 1/10 the price of the other two wines. The ringer was definitely outclassed.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 15, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #91,210 of 152,959
Looks like my flat top LISST's (2 for MJ2 and 1 for LYR3) are now collectibles.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #91,211 of 152,959
OK, so, what I take from this is that LISST is the far superior option of the three.

How?

Well, the 6SN7 and LISST were considered roughly equal, but the 6SN7 was in a silver Freya and the LISST in a black one.
Everybody knows that silver anodized aluminum sounds a lot better than black powder coated aluminum, so LISST went into this with a massive handicap.

Ergo: LISST wins this shootout. 😎
#logic

In all seriousness, though, I am kinda sad that they picked JJs to represent the 6SN7 camp and not the Tung-Sols they also sometimes ship with Freya+. I'm sorry if this is stepping on anyone's toes, but to my ears, JJs are the worst-sounding 6SN7s that I know. Maaaaaaaybe only second to the Electro Harmonix gold pins. The EH is seriously unpleasant, edgy, and harsh, but at least it dares to be something. The JJs, however, are just bland and soulless on all levels.

That said, I wonder what the verdict would have been if they had used Tung-Sols instead. I wonder if LISST would have come out this strong as well. But based on what I read, I would have to doubt that a little.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #91,212 of 152,959
I Googled and found it on Steve Hoffman: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/schiit-audio-cdt-urd.1143077/
It is vague, doesn't describe the circumstances for the email, and doesn't quote the actual content in the email. Even if true, it's a badly written post with very little information.

Well that was a boring waste of time. The OP flat out refusing to quote the source email just means there wasn't one. A clickbait fishing expedition without value.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #91,213 of 152,959
Thanks. Great pics...

1650040554079.png

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #91,214 of 152,959
For those with Freya's and the JJ and Tungsol tubes plus LISST's that could make for some fun listening comparison sessions. I have a LYR3 so I could put that to the test myself. I do like my Tungsol 6SN7's (I think I have at least a matched pair and a single in my inventory - all new mfg not NOS). And, I really like Tungsol's EL-34's for power tubes.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #91,215 of 152,959
though Tyr sounds better at volume through the 1.7i than the Vidar, I’m also hearing more hum coming from the amp itself. Not through the speakers, but audible from the amps
Were you also hearing some hum from the Vidar? One cause of mechanical hum from transformers is DC offset in the AC power, and a DC blocker might help. The iFi DC Blocker is working for me (with a non-Schiit amp). You should also contact Schiit about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back