Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #91,186 of 154,081
Ok, kids - here's the call - Tyr is currently available in 1-3 days (5-7 for silver, 230VAC) - get out your credit cards and do your part to deplete Schitt's stock today!
Thx again Jason and Mike... I didn't think that I could ever afford a system that sounded like this. You proved me wrong, and I'm forever grateful. /ds
As much as I would like to have a pair of Tyrs, I realise that the rest of my system is a far cry from being able to do them justice. Including, but not limited to, source, pre, speakers, even cables. The Tyrs themselves will probably be the lesser cost here.. :sweat_smile:

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #91,187 of 154,081
Spotted at @bcowen's house

remote.jpeg
One of the chemical plants my company works in did exactly that with the remote for the DVD/TV which plays their safety video. No Netflix before going inside...
Ok each of you should send me peaches and I will compare them to the pitiful attempt that Cowen delivers and tell you who wins. 😜😜😜😜
Better send a lot of peaches. @Paladin79's taste testing panel is bigger than his listening panel.

Amaretto and a little butter. Cook them to almost burnt.
And how much vinegar to bring that sauce home? Asking for a friend.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #91,188 of 154,081
Would be surprising given how much effort has been put forth and how much teasing of it there’s been. I’ve been waiting for it myself, playing stuff through a blu ray player. If it’s not gonna happen, I’ll probably get a Cambridge
I waited for the 'Urd' as well @Dana Reed
The main attraction for me was the implementation of its Unison USB output which I could try with my original Yggy A2, having installed the Unison USB upgrade board myself.
I have a lot of faith in Mike and he obviously believes that Unison is now the 'best' way to connect a digital source to a DAC having previously described USB as 'sounding like ass'.

When I had the A2 upgrade done on my Yggy, I also had the USB Gen 5 upgrade board fitted.
It was never used as I don't have a USB output on my digital sources.

I then bought, and installed, the Unison USB upgrade board for my Yggy, as I thought that one day, I would buy the new Schiit CD Transport.

That won't happen now as I have bought a used Jay's Audio CDT2 M3 CD transport.
It has RCA, BNC and AES/EBU outputs ( as well as I2s which I won't use)

I seriously considered a Cambridge CXC or an Audiolab 6000 CDT as both get great reviews and seem to offer outstanding value for money.

The used Jay's CD Transport cost around the same as the expected price of the 'Urd' so it wasn't cheap, but uses a proven Philips mechanism and appears to be built like a tank!
I even bought a spare Philips mechanism , so that in the unlikely event that this one fails, I can replace it.

I have a 25 year old Arcam Alpha+ CD player which still works fine, so I am hoping that the Jay's will outlast me!

I look forward to reading reviews of the 'Urd' when it is finally launched, but I've decided I'm not going down the USB route now.

Possibly a mistake, but I'll never know.:dt880smile:

Edit: Steve Guttenberg really liked the Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk3

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #91,189 of 154,081
All too true, unfortunately. This is why I prefer systems that are less accurate but more enjoyable.
Yep...wasn't true when I was younger and a new audiophile. I used audiophile music to listen to great gear -- instead of gear to listen to great music.

At some point, that changed...would rather listen to a compressed version of a great song on a boombox than some hi-res track that doesn't move me on a high-end system!

@dstrimbu
  • good recordings sound really good; the detail is astounding, and depth, instrument placement and soundstage width are jaw-droppingly good
  • bad recordings sound pretty damned bad... maybe even worse than before
    • I am amazed at how well recorded many classic rock songs are... the Doobies, the Stones, the Beatles, the Eagles. And many more.
    • I am appalled by how highly compressed and nasty some very recent hit music is... and they shall go "24-carat Nameless", because who am I to judge?

Good to hear you're enjoying the Classic Rock Songs! :wink:

Regarding "24-carat nameless", not a big fan of most of his stuff...but will say this --

The guy's uber talented...of course he can sing/dance the popular stuff but he can also can play guitar, drums, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #91,190 of 154,081
This is true of ALL Schiit gear. I bought a cheap generic remote for Freya S that only has buttons for volume, mute and input select. The remote that came with Freya has a button to change the output gain which IMO is a terrible button to have on a remote with nearly unreadable icons.
I never look at the icons or w/e those things are. They make little sense, but since I never look at the lettering on my regular monstrosity with all the buttons and lights either, since I use just two or three settings and I have those memorized. I like that there's no distracting print I can see on my Schiit.

I figure when I reach 80 something I'll put labels on my Schiit. Judging from my older family and friends, everyone starts to need help when they reach their 80s.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #91,191 of 154,081
Would be surprising given how much effort has been put forth and how much teasing of it there’s been. I’ve been waiting for it myself, playing stuff through a blu ray player. If it’s not gonna happen, I’ll probably get a Cambridge
I think they've been pretty clear that any product that isn't announced and available on their web site is a hope and dream.

Urd is a bit of an odd bird, but there will be a place for it on my shelf some day ... hoping hoping I hope they'll do it.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #91,192 of 154,081
Top loader means top shelf installation and as I will be downsizing to a retirement community over the coarse of the next year space will be a huge consideration and
I like to reserve top shelves for heat generating tube amps. I already have 2 transports with AES outputs along with the other usual types so I can be patient.
I will be replacing my beloved 75 pound PrimaLuna EVO 400 with, most likely, a 30 pound Ragnarok to go with one of my Yggdrasil's and a matching CD transport will make for a more compact possibility and eliminate any compatibility issues.
Given the current state of parts availability that could be a delaying factor. If URD doesn't happen it doesn't happen, life still goes on.

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #91,195 of 154,081
I Googled and found it on Steve Hoffman: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/schiit-audio-cdt-urd.1143077/
It is vague, doesn't describe the circumstances for the email, and doesn't quote the actual content in the email. Even if true, it's a badly written post with very little information.
Those posts by OP all read like someone that is trying to stir the pot.

Edit: They’re starting multiple threads it seems. They have an agenda. https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/suggestions-for-a-good-cdt-without-breaking-the-bank.1143078/

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #91,196 of 154,081
Apr 15, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #91,197 of 154,081
It looks like they're in London, England. So, they wouldn't be getting it either way...! 🤣
raw.png

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #91,198 of 154,081
All too true, unfortunately. This is why I prefer systems that are less accurate but more enjoyable.
I lean toward accurate and enjoyable myself. The harmonic distortion in tubes makes them more musical to my ears. I do strive for tubes that are more descriptive and I often vary those with the music source. It took a lot of tube listening to dial in the sound I finally achieved and I hope to build on that with more flexibility in power tube types.😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back