Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #91,231 of 155,161
Absolutely! I find that I can get much enjoyment from a great song played in the car or (as recently happened) listening to my Sony noise-canceling headphones while flying back from London. (First international trip in two years - yay!)
I agree with you @Odin412
For me the music comes first, but like many on this forum, I do love the gear too :beyersmile:

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #91,232 of 155,161
To all of you here who own Tyrs:
If you haven't played Béla Fleck's Flight of The Cosmic Hippo (on the album of the same name) yet, I don't know what you're doing with your lives. ;p

Edit: I would consider the way the rest of the album is mixed a bit better suited for headphone listening than speakers, and I find it a bit tough at times to forgive some of the comically cheap 90's synth passages, but this particular track's bass line might just have rattled a tile or two off the roof of my house with these Tyrs. All while remaining crystal clear, with no drone or power sag whatsoever, nor any audible loss in the presentation of mids and highs.

Magic? Sorcery? Skill? Who cares how Jason did it. It just works.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #91,233 of 155,161
I offered you a completed coaster amp a couple weeks ago, the offer still sounds. You need not pay for anything. Maybe I was not clear in my offer lol.PM me your address and I will ship it early next week. :ksc75smile:
reply sent, I am beyond humbled

Griff

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #91,234 of 155,161
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #91,235 of 155,161
reply sent, I am beyond humbled

Griff
You are most welcome, I try to help others when I can and this is an easy one. 😁

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #91,236 of 155,161
If you haven't played Béla Fleck's Flight of The Cosmic Hippo (on the album of the same name) yet, I don't know what you're doing with your lives. ;p

Edit: I would consider the way the rest of the album is mixed a bit better suited for headphone listening than speakers, and I find it a bit tough at times to forgive some of the comically cheap 90's synth passages, but this particular track's bass line might just have rattled a tile or two off the roof of my house with these Tyrs. All while remaining crystal clear, with no drone or power sag whatsoever, nor any audible loss in the presentation of mids and highs.

++1. Flying Saucer Dudes on my Mono Vidars | Apogee Duetta Sigs; very effectively drops first time listener jaws.... :).

Will probably get Tyr's next year, knee surgery and scheduled Kilimanjaro climb in August killed any major purchases for 2022

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #91,237 of 155,161
*snip*

And by the way, we did do the blind wine tasting...and the Texas wine won (William Chris Rio Frio Syrah 2019 vs Caraccioli Cellars 2019 Syrah), plus a "ringer" of a California red blend that costs about 1/10 the price of the other two wines. The ringer was definitely outclassed.
Was the ringer blend a Trader Joe’s selection?

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #91,238 of 155,161

That has been one of my must pass test tracks for years!

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #91,239 of 155,161
It's the two different color temperature light bulbs that are tying that room together. 😜
I'm a snob when it comes to light color and quality, and I have either incandescent/halogen for most areas we live in, and high CRI for any utility areas or lights that are on all the time or all night long. LEDs have come a long way and are way better than CFL, but they have a long ways to go. CRI, distribution patterns, dim-ability, quality/consistency as the phosphors degrade, etc.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #91,240 of 155,161
That has been one of my must pass test tracks for years!
I can recall Mr. Cowen mentioning it. For speaker amps I will often use Daft Punk. I prefer other tracks for headphones.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #91,242 of 155,161
I was about to mention it was the JJ's used in the Freya + myself, your assessment of them is very close to my own unfortunately. One day I should send you some serious tubes to try in the gain side of the Freya. :L3000: As I recall the JJ tubes could be delivered in the quantities Jason required, naturally that is important when you are selling a large quantity of tube gear.
I haven't heard the JJ in the Freya but my experience with their smaller tubes isn't inspiring me to try one. Hard for them to send in the expensive NOS tubes and make their stock tubes sound inferior with certain music, listeners which -- given the price differential -- is not unlikely.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #91,243 of 155,161
I have a couple Daft Punk songs as well.
I have a long list of music I use as well as some recorded by an award winning audio engineer just for my local group. It makes for a fantastic way to judge SQ in a very short time. Some of the performers have taken part in the listening.😉

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #91,245 of 155,161
For bass I now use:
Blade Runner 2049 for depth and power
Pink Floyd DSotM, WYWH, The Wall for tone
Emmylou Harris "Deeper Well"
...and various acoustic jazz and classical performances for details and realism.

The last time any system did Pat Metheny Group's "It's For You" correctly, it had a subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back