Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #81,946 of 153,055
Hell, an SVS SB-1000 Pro is more than sufficient and is only $500. But I would definitely spend the extra $$ as it will significantly increase your listening pleasure!

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #81,947 of 153,055
Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #81,948 of 153,055
I've got a Ragnarok 2 due to arrive tomorrow and was wondering if there is a general consensus in this group as to whether it is better to leave it on 24/7 or have it on only when used? Anyone know what the power consumption is when idle?

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #81,949 of 153,055
I've got a Ragnarok 2 due to arrive tomorrow and was wondering if there is a general consensus in this group as to whether it is better to leave it on 24/7 or have it on only when used? Anyone know what the power consumption is when idle?
I turn mine off at the end of the day and turn it on when I first need it. I use it with speakers and a subwoofer and have not noticed a dramatic change in sound as it stays on, so leaving it on seems like an unnecessary waste of electricity to me.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #81,950 of 153,055
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #81,951 of 153,055
Classic FedEx...

Screenshot_20210913-155424_Chrome.jpg

But it's here now. Fun for the entire family!

20210913_165242.jpg
What version did you end up going with? Looking forward to any impressions! My LiM shipped Friday morning, and is now delayed with FedEx (I'm also in the Bay Area). No expected delivery date yet either. It's just wondering around in orange county for some reason..? :frowning2:

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #81,952 of 153,055
Just sold my E15HP2 only due to moving soon. Plus, I'd love to own speakers in the future which don't need them.
I hope you got a good price for it!

Finding speakers that don't benefit from a 15 inch subwoofer of that caliber will be next to impossible, even ignoring the potential placement advantages a dedicated subwoofer has. But I suppose there's a middle ground with speakers that dig low enough to be satisfying, if not quite as full range as with a subwoofer like that.

What version did you end up going with? Looking forward to any impressions!
Less is More! Seemed the most promising, and if I don't like it I might be able to argue that the More is Less is objectively the better version, and that the 5% restocking fee therefore does not apply. Right? 😬 Though if I don't keep that one I'll have to pay 5% for both.

However, it's starting out great. With the A2/OG, it took me over a week to warm up to it and start to see its qualities. This one sounds great from the get go. I read that it changes slightly in the first two days or so, and the way I had it hooked up to my speaker rig wasn't as equal to the OG as I can do, so I'll refrain from any direct comparisons for now. I only had it there to make sure AES was working, for the next few days it will instead live in my headphone rig where I checked that everything else is also working. One advantage it has over my OG is Unison USB, the OG is still Gen 5 (I use the BNC input there, anyway).

My LiM shipped Friday morning, and is now delayed with FedEx (I'm also in the Bay Area). No expected delivery date yet either. It's just wondering around in orange county for some reason..? :frowning2:
So annoying! Mine was originally scheduled for Saturday. Sunday it said "potentially delayed" for a while, then expected on Monday, which worked out. Oh, well.

Good luck, wouldn't be surprised if you get it tomorrow!

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #81,953 of 153,055
@Jason Stoddard How feasible is it to intentionally create a device, say a DAC/headamp combo, that measures quite well, but sounds as horrible as you can pull off? You know, as a contribution to science?

I'm not one to argue that something that can be heard is inherently unmeasurable, I'm more inclined to think that some things escape current measurements, or require novel analysis techniques of the measured data.

So something that sounds awful and measures well would be a lovely thing for the objectivists to contend with, I think.

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #81,954 of 153,055
Finding speakers that don't benefit from a 15 inch subwoofer of that caliber will be next to impossible, even ignoring the potential placement advantages a dedicated subwoofer has. But I suppose there's a middle ground with speakers that dig low enough to be satisfying, if not quite as full range as with a subwoofer like that.

Recently sold off my Elac Sub 2050 subwoofer. My Dalis have two 8" low frequency drivers each, so I'm not missing out on too much. The Elac only added lowest rumbles in movies, but overall I'm quite pleased without it too. Might add a bigger SVS sub into the system at point, but not in the near future.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #81,955 of 153,055
Recently sold off my Elac Sub 2050 subwoofer. My Dalis have two 8" low frequency drivers each, so I'm not missing out on too much. The Elac only added lowest rumbles in movies, but overall I'm quite pleased without it too. Might add a bigger SVS sub into the system at point, but not in the near future.
The 2050 is rated at 19-180 Hz, probably the ELAC typical -6 dB, while the E15HP is rated at 14-200 Hz, with -2 dB at 14 Hz. How much of a difference that makes in practice, I don't know, but there is some potential for a noticeable difference between the 2050 and E15HP based on specs.

The Opticon 8 are rated at 38 to 32,000 Hz (+/- 3 dB), which is definitely respectable. My Wharfedale EVO 4.4 are rated at 44 - 22,000 Hz (+/- 3 dB) and are definitely plenty enjoyable by themselves, but that single 12" subwoofer (also rated at 14 Hz at -2 dB) makes a considerable difference rounding out that bottom end spectrum and adding some punch.

I could see the Dali be more satisfying without a sub than the Wharfedales, though, not just because of that extra 6 Hz of extension. I recently fell in love with the Spektor 1, which dig surprisingly low despite their single 4.5" woofers (59 Hz at -3 dB) and I admit I'm not in a huge hurry to set up a sub again with them. The Spektor 1 sound more dynamic and quick than the somewhat polite EVO 4.4. They also image well and man, that sound stage!

How are you liking the Opticon 8? I'm super curious about Dali now given how amazing that tiny entry level speaker is already. Wondering whether the Epicon series will see a refresh soon.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #81,956 of 153,055
I use it mostly for speakers and have it in my equipment rack. The power switch is rather inconveniently placed, so I leave it powered up all the time. Have had no issues.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #81,958 of 153,055
The 2050 is rated at 19-180 Hz, probably the ELAC typical -6 dB, while the E15HP is rated at 14-200 Hz, with -2 dB at 14 Hz. How much of a difference that makes in practice, I don't know, but there is some potential for a noticeable difference between the 2050 and E15HP based on specs.

The Opticon 8 are rated at 38 to 32,000 Hz (+/- 3 dB), which is definitely respectable. My Wharfedale EVO 4.4 are rated at 44 - 22,000 Hz (+/- 3 dB) and are definitely plenty enjoyable by themselves, but that single 12" subwoofer (also rated at 14 Hz at -2 dB) makes a considerable difference rounding out that bottom end spectrum and adding some punch.

I could see the Dali be more satisfying without a sub than the Wharfedales, though, not just because of that extra 6 Hz of extension. I recently fell in love with the Spektor 1, which dig surprisingly low despite their single 4.5" woofers (59 Hz at -3 dB) and I admit I'm not in a huge hurry to set up a sub again with them. The Spektor 1 sound more dynamic and quick than the somewhat polite EVO 4.4. They also image well and man, that sound stage!

How are you liking the Opticon 8? I'm super curious about Dali now given how amazing that tiny entry level speaker is already. Wondering whether the Epicon series will see a refresh soon.

I’m really digging them, one of the first purchases I made after we moved to our own house earlier this year. The cabinet finishing could be a bit better, but it appears Dali made sound quality their number one priority with the Opticons. Great sound stage and imaging, with the right music it’s like the whole wall becomes alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back