Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 14, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #81,978 of 149,151
Why? Not being rude just wondering because I’ve never felt like either was a problem.
Are you using it in a speaker system with more than one source?
I've never felt the need to swap sources on the fly. Having to press a button isn't a big deal since I'm probably already up putting a disc in, grabbing my Xbox controller, or powering on my preamp/amp.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #81,981 of 149,151
Yggdrasil is not a preamp....
DearSir,

You have been making this point for quite some time and after giving it careful consideration on several occasions, I still do not understand it. I am sure that this is just a failing on my part. My mind is not as flexible as it once was.

Respectfully,
Your Friend,
KoshNaranek

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #81,983 of 149,151
Yggdrasil is not a preamp....
True. I could get a separate Yggdrasil for my TV, my streamer and my laptop, and switch it all on the Ragnarok 2. Hm, with a Freya S in-between to get around just two balanced inputs. Sensible!

Or I could spend -$1500 more to get a Bifrost 2 that is also not a preamp and has a remote. I mean why would the flagship have as many features as a lesser model, am I right?

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #81,984 of 149,151
True. I could get a separate Yggdrasil for my TV, my streamer and my laptop, and switch it all on the Ragnarok 2. Hm, with a Freya S in-between to get around just two balanced inputs. Sensible!

Or I could spend -$1500 more to get a Bifrost 2 that is also not a preamp and has a remote. I mean why would the flagship have as many features as a lesser model, am I right?
How am I being so daft to miss the point here on why you'd need multiple Yggys in your use case? What am I missing here? >.<

You sure you can't just use the button on the front panel to select your required source, and control volume with your receiver/preamp?

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #81,985 of 149,151
How am I being so daft to miss the point here on why you'd need multiple Yggys in your use case? What am I missing here? >.<

You sure you can't just use the button on the front panel to select your required source, and control volume with your receiver/preamp?
Its the getting up to touch the button when other devices have a remote to swap. Now how important that feature is I do not know.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #81,986 of 149,151

It's the flagship because of sound, not features.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #81,987 of 149,151

Its the getting up to touch the button when other devices have a remote to swap. Now how important that feature is I do not know.
Exactly, the suggestion was to add a remote to Yggdrasil so you can switch between multiple sources, when @Ableza seems to think that the Yggdrasil basically only has one input, but in five different formats, so you connect your single digital source to it and select the right input once and then never touch it again.

Because otherwise... if it's meant to be used with multiple sources... you'd need to regularly switch between them somehow... but apparently that would make it a preamp. Or does it only make it a preamp if it's switched with a remote control? If I use a long rod from the couch to push the button, am I still avoiding the sneaky metamorphosis from DAC to preamp?

Schiit really ought to put the selector in the back to drive the point home that this is not a preamp. Nay, make it so that you have to pick its single input format when you order it! That's it.

What a silly comment that was.

Okay, rant over.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #81,988 of 149,151
DearSir,

You have been making this point for quite some time and after giving it careful consideration on several occasions, I still do not understand it. I am sure that this is just a failing on my part. My mind is not as flexible as it once was.

Respectfully,
Your Friend,
KoshNaranek
My point is if the system needs the ability to switch between multiple sources then it requires a preamp. A DAC with switchable input types is only useful in this situation by using it in a non-standard way. I am a philistine and a hard-headed person who is stuck in my ways and I don't think a well-designed system uses equipment in non-standard ways. That is all.

I may be the only one who holds this opinion and that's fine by me! :)

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #81,989 of 149,151
Exactly, the suggestion was to add a remote to Yggdrasil so you can switch between multiple sources, when @Ableza seems to think that the Yggdrasil basically only has one input, but in five different formats, so you connect your single digital source to it and select the right input once and then never touch it again.

Because otherwise... if it's meant to be used with multiple sources... you'd need regularly switch between them somehow... but apparently that would make it a preamp. Or does it only make it a preamp if it's switched with a remote control? If I use a long rod from the couch to push the button, am I still avoiding the sneaky metamorphosis from DAC to preamp?

Schiit really ought to put the selector in the back to drive the point home that this is not a preamp. Nay, make it so that you have to pick its single input format when you order it! That's it.

What a silly comment that was.

Okay, rant over.
You have your opinion. I think it's wrong. So sue me. :)

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #81,990 of 149,151
My point is if the system needs the ability to switch between multiple sources then it requires a preamp. A DAC with switchable input types is only useful in this situation by using it in a non-standard way. I am a philistine and a hard-headed person who is stuck in my ways and I don't think a well-designed system usees equipment in non-standard ways. That is all.

I may be the only one who holds this opinion and that's fine by me! :)
That was sensible when most sources were analog, but it's 2021, lots of folks need input switching for various digital sources, and multiple inputs with the same format (say, more than one TOSLINK in), not just one of each. It's time. Doesn't mean preamps have to stop doing the same for analog, but what made sense for analog then makes sense for digital now.

That said, an actual digital preamp might indeed be more appropriate than putting that responsibility on the DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back