Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 15, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #80,402 of 149,289
I had a bit of an epiphany today.

The lady friend and I were listening to music last night, but it was more watching music videos on YouTube. Nostalgia factor, I think. We were listening in Pure Direct on my cheap Yamaha receiver, so 2.1, to my JM Lab Chorus speakers. It sounded "fine".

I have been thinking "how do I do proper 3.1 for TV and movies while getting great two channel for music" for quite some time now. But, we're not listening to vinyl, or doing any critical listening on this system, nor do I think will we in the future.

Then this morning I found the Sonos Arc Surround System. This satisfies the TV and movies requirement, and **no wires** which satisfies another limitation.

So I could setup a complete Sonos system with mounts and all for around $2300, which is much less money that I was thinking of spending for new signal path components.....and buy a Bifrost2 and the Meze Empyreans to pair with my Lyr 3 for my critical and fun music listening system. All for less money than the 3.1 system was going to cost.....loudly at night.

Hmmmm....

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #80,404 of 149,289
Ideally the center channel should use the same drivers as the front left and right. That way they match and blend together seamlessly. Mixing different brands of speakers may sound weird. Or not depending on how picky you are.
The Sonos system would displace my Yamaha receiver and JM Labs.
New music system in the garage! :beerchug:

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #80,406 of 149,289

The lady friend and I were listening to music last night, but it was more watching music videos on YouTube. Nostalgia factor, I think. We were listening in Pure Direct on my cheap Yamaha receiver, so 2.1, to my JM Lab Chorus speakers. It sounded "fine".

I have been thinking "how do I do proper 3.1 for TV and movies while getting great two channel for music" for quite some time now. But, we're not listening to vinyl, or doing any critical listening on this system, nor do I think will we in the future.

Then this morning I found the Sonos Arc Surround System. This satisfies the TV and movies requirement, and **no wires** which satisfies another limitation.

So I could setup a complete Sonos system with mounts and all for around $2300, which is much less money that I was thinking of spending for new signal path components.....and buy a Bifrost2 and the Meze Empyreans to pair with my Lyr 3 for my critical and fun music listening system. All for less money than the 3.1 system was going to cost.....loudly at night.

Hmmmm....
Make sure you get the sub for the Sonos. Makes a huge difference.

Aug 15, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #80,408 of 149,289

Hmmmm....
FYI: I found the Sonos Arc to be lacking in bass so I ordered it with the Sonos Sub, and when it would stay connected is sounded great. However, the sub would disconnect
constantly and the only fix from Sonos was to hard-wire it to your network. I took a 30 ft network cable and ran it into another room and it was rock solid. This was not the way I wanted to use this, so it went back. So if you have 2 network connections by your TV you should be okay, I did not.

Aug 15, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #80,409 of 149,289
FYI: I found the Sonos Arc to be lacking in bass so I ordered it with the Sonos Sub, and when it would stay connected is sounded great. However, the sub would disconnect
constantly and the only fix from Sonos was to hard-wire it to your network. I took a 30 ft network cable and ran it into another room and it was rock solid. This was not the way I wanted to use this, so it went back. So if you have 2 network connections by your TV you should be okay, I did not.
I appreciate the heads up.
I'm a system engineer by trade, and my router has the ability to create VLANs, so I'll probably do that for the Sonos setup.
Even if not, my router is about 10 feet from where the Arc would be, and it's a straight line shot. A sub can, theoretically, be placed anywhere. It's the Ones as surrounds that I can't run cable to, so we'll have to see.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #80,410 of 149,289
I appreciate the heads up.
I'm a system engineer by trade, and my router has the ability to create VLANs, so I'll probably do that for the Sonos setup.
Even if not, my router is about 10 feet from where the Arc would be, and it's a straight line shot. A sub can, theoretically, be placed anywhere. It's the Ones as surrounds that I can't run cable to, so we'll have to see.

My Arc, Sub, and Play:1 5.1 setup has been solid. All wireless and no disconnects. I think the Sonos stuff is really sensitive to interference so depending on what you have in your house your mileage can vary.

Aug 16, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #80,411 of 149,289
My Arc, Sub, and Play:1 5.1 setup has been solid. All wireless and no disconnects. I think the Sonos stuff is really sensitive to interference so depending on what you have in your house your mileage can vary.
I'm just running the Arc and Sub and have had no connection issues. The router is not too far away though and a straight shot.

Aug 16, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #80,412 of 149,289
Looks like Sonos may have used a firmware update to fix the issue. I purchase the Arc and Sub the day they were announced and my router was in the wall directly behind the TV setup with rock solid Wi-Fi. I am glad it is working out because it did sound pretty great.

Aug 16, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #80,413 of 149,289
As I implied, perfectionism is impossible. If you wish to be continually disappointed then make it your goal or your benchmark or your hobby. Me, I prefer to find satisfaction not to pursue impossible dreams, and to enjoy the music. :)
I remember Jason writing on this blog, a long time ago, that he was walking thru the Schiit offices when he heard some very beautiful music. Interested, he tracked down the source and found one of the folks (maybe Dave?) playing a guitar. It then struck Jason how difficult it is to accurately recreate even the sound of one acoustic guitar :)

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #80,414 of 149,289
…and if you do, why buy Schiit? They make it clear that they are not a “measurement above all else” company.
And yet some prefer the "sound" of D/S DAC's over multi-bit. The issue would be to make a D/S Gungir that sounds significantly better that a Modius to justify the price.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #80,415 of 149,289
I remember Jason writing on this blog, a long time ago, that he was walking thru the Schiit offices when he heard some very beautiful music. Interested, he tracked down the source and found one of the folks (maybe Dave?) playing a guitar. It then struck Jason how difficult it is to accurately recreate even the sound of one acoustic guitar :)
I had a similar experience years ago. I parked my car on a city street. Getting out of the car I heard a solo violin playing that I instantly recognized as live, not recorded. I followed the sound 2 house properties down the block, across the street (one lane), and a half property to the left where the music was coming out an open window.
I don't claim to have a golden ear, but I do have a lot of experience listening to live acoustic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back