Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 16, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #80,431 of 151,318
I’m only on 12 weeks for a black Jot 2. Ended up ordering a black Lyr 3 last week and received it in a few days. I love it, but wondering if I’d be missing out on a full balanced setup (already have a BF2 and Lokius).
Actually you're living the dream!

BF 2 and Lokius balanced the Jot 2 and single eneded to Lyr 3 and additional options.... the possibilities are endless.

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #80,432 of 151,318
Hmm - Agree that music through a soundbar is meh. Sonos Play 5 is good for background music - especially getting it into rooms where a real system is inconveinent (the kitchen, kids rooms, etc.)

But IMHO, a Sonos connect feeding cd quality flac files to a Schiit multibit dac is amazingly good.
If it sounds good to you, that it all that matters.

My other half has made hifi challenging to say the least.

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #80,433 of 151,318
Actually you're living the dream!

BF 2 and Lokius balanced the Jot 2 and single eneded to Lyr 3 and additional options.... the possibilities are endless.

I wish I could justify keeping both the Jot and Lyr. I think I’ll end up canceling the Jot. Although, I’d love to have them both for a couple days to test out.
So far, I’m really liking the Lyr 3. What are the chances Schiit comes out with a balanced Lyr 4?

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #80,434 of 151,318
Had the lights on today for some cleaning and wow, that thicc brushed aluminum just hits different

PXL_20210817_041159710.jpg

(scratches? what scratches?)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #80,435 of 151,318
I remember Jason writing on this blog, a long time ago, that he was walking thru the Schiit offices when he heard some very beautiful music. Interested, he tracked down the source and found one of the folks (maybe Dave?) playing a guitar. It then struck Jason how difficult it is to accurately recreate even the sound of one acoustic guitar :)
I have read several times that some acoustic music , such as piano, acoustic guitar, double bass etc, as well as the human voice, are amongst the most challenging to reproduce from a recording.
Mike Moffat has said that he likes Bluegrass music, and I am sure that this is a very good test of any audio system.

I listen to quite a lot of acoustic music, and I am very happy with the sound from my Yggy-based system.
In my opinion, nothing beats live music, and I went to my first acoustic gig in 2 years recently.
It was fantastic- Banjo, fiddle, mandolin and guitar.

A friend of mine sent me a CD which he recorded in a small professional recording studio of him playing a Grand Piano, unaccompanied.
It sounds almost 'real' to me and is one of my most treasured CDs. I think there are only 5 in existence!

Several years ago I met someone who had a Steinway Lyngdorf audio system ( made in Denmark)
It cost about £200k!
https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinwaylyngdorf/
The company claim that from behind an acoustically transparent curtain, the sound of a grand piano played though their system is indistinguishable from the real thing and that listeners cannot reliably identify which is which.
I don't have the money, or motivation to test that claim :beyersmile:

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #80,436 of 151,318
I have read several times that some acoustic music , such as piano, acoustic guitar, double bass etc, as well as the human voice, are amongst the most challenging to reproduce from a recording.
Mike Moffat has said that he likes Bluegrass music, and I am sure that this is a very good test of any audio system.

I listen to quite a lot of acoustic music, and I am very happy with the sound from my Yggy-based system.
In my opinion, nothing beats live music, and I went to my first acoustic gig in 2 years recently.
The David Grisman Quintet album from the mid 70s is a very neat album, if you like "newgrass" or free form bluegrass.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #80,437 of 151,318
I was afraid to say it, but I have never found Sonos to sound "good", same with XM or Sirius radio. Convenient, yes. Good, no.
Satellite radio is fine for the car with all the road noise and when your USB stick with all Travel Tunes has died.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #80,438 of 151,318
Sirius/XM in my wife's car sounds flat-out terrible. I don't know how lossy their compression is but it sounds like 96 kbps MP3. The lossless/uncompressed FLACs that I play from a SSD in my car sounds fantastic.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #80,440 of 151,318
Which Car do you have the SSD in?
Jeep Wrangler. It's an external 500GB SSD that's hooked up via usb to the back of an aftermarket Kenwood. The SSD itself lives in the glove compartment.
Sorry, should have made it clear that the SSD is external.

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #80,441 of 151,318

A friend of mine sent me a CD which he recorded in a small professional recording studio of him playing a Grand Piano, unaccompanied.
It sounds almost 'real' to me and is one of my most treasured CDs. I think there are only 5 in existence!

Several years ago I met someone who had a Steinway Lyngdorf audio system ( made in Denmark)
It cost about £200k!
https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinwaylyngdorf/
The company claim that from behind an acoustically transparent curtain, the sound of a grand piano played though their system is indistinguishable from the real thing and that listeners cannot reliably identify which is which.
I don't have the money, or motivation to test that claim :beyersmile:
I would love to have a copy of that CD! I completely agree about the Yggy. When I first heard the Yggy, I finally heard music the way it ought to sound. It’s most striking attribute is the initial attack of a note (especially with acoustic music). I also felt the Bass became much more realistic in tone and rich in timbre. My favorite CD to play for acoustic music is The Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli. It one of the most important Brass recordings and it is absolutely stunning!

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #80,442 of 151,318
Sirius/XM in my wife's car sounds flat-out terrible. I don't know how lossy their compression is but it sounds like 96 kbps MP3. The lossless/uncompressed FLACs that I play from a SSD in my car sounds fantastic.
I use an iPod in the car which I recently had upgraded with a new 500Gb SSD and battery. I play lossless ALAC files which were ripped from CDs.
They sound great.
Unusually for a modern car, I also have a CD player, so I keep a handful of CDs in the car as well.
This 3CD collection isn't bad and only cost me £5.00 :relaxed:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Classic-Road-Trip/release/17205193

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #80,443 of 151,318
I use an iPod in the car which I recently had upgraded with a new 500Gb SSD and battery. I play lossless ALAC files which were ripped from CDs.
They sound great.
Unusually for a modern car, I also have a CD player, so I keep a handful of CDs in the car as well.
This 3CD collection isn't bad and only cost me £5.00 :relaxed:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Classic-Road-Trip/release/17205193
Ha. I used to have a Toyota pickup in which I listened to my iPod through one of those cassette tape adapters, remember those? https://tinyurl.com/ymfsdxxz
It didn't sound very good but it was nice to not have to take 30-40 CDs everywhere.

Aug 17, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #80,444 of 151,318
Aug 17, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #80,445 of 151,318
Ha. I used to have a Toyota pickup in which I listened to my iPod through one of those cassette tape adapters, remember those? https://tinyurl.com/ymfsdxxz
It didn't sound very good but it was nice to not have to take 30-40 CDs everywhere.
Not sure what year pickup you had, but my '84 Xtra Cab was sprung so tight I had to give up on listening to CDs. I started out using the exact same setup, but then I upgraded to a Blaupunkt that had a line in jack. Even wrapping the old Discman with its lead-acid battery in a couple fluffy towels didn't help matters that much. Of course, even if I was able to manage getting through an entire CD, changing CDs became a road hazard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back