Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #80,461 of 152,719
Just got notification from eBay that my Tice clock was sold.

Amazing how much money some people are willing to pay for this stuff.

:k701smile:

JC
I had to look up what a Tice clock was. Thank you for making me feel young

Not easy to do

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #80,462 of 152,719
Pencils were an essential tool for cassettes.
8 tracks were more of a challenge when the tape came out. Absolute rubbish.
Was that a Ford Motor Co. 'innovation'... ?
Fortunately I never had one of those awful players in my car back in the 70s.
The cartridges cost a fortune!

Don't blame just Ford. The 8-track came from the mind of Bill Lear, inventor developer of the Lear Jet.

I first heard 8-tracks as a pre-teen in the mid-70's and it was odd to me even then that 'tracks' would change with an audible click mid-song.

Good riddance.

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #80,464 of 152,719
Yeah. That's why I stayed with vinyl.

JC
Funny then that "mounted on a plinth connected to a 100' audiophile grade vibration-isolated concrete pier buried below grade and drilled into bedrock to apply..." comment was from an audiophile who did just that to support his turntable.

Can't make this stuff up. (sorry, this was from memory so I can't provide a link)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #80,465 of 152,719
Funny then that "mounted on a plinth connected to a 100' audiophile grade vibration-isolated concrete pier buried below grade and drilled into bedrock to apply" comment was from an audiophile who did just that to support his turntable.

Can't make this stuff up. (sorry, this was from memory so I can't provide a link)

Yeah. But I only had the one plinth and my turntable was already on it...

:)

JC

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #80,466 of 152,719
Don't blame just Ford. The 8-track came from the mind of Bill Lear, inventor developer of the Lear Jet.

I first heard 8-tracks as a pre-teen in the mid-70's and it was odd to me even then that 'tracks' would change with an audible click mid-song.

Good riddance.
A friend who was the first person to get a car in our year at school, back in 1974, had an 8 track in his Vauxhall Viva ( an awful car even then, but he did take us to some great pubs over the next couple of years).
He only had 3 cartridges and I still remember the names of the albums:

• Sticky Fingers
  • DSOTM
  • Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics (by Man).

I know every note on those three albums :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #80,467 of 152,719
Sirius/XM in my wife's car sounds flat-out terrible. I don't know how lossy their compression is but it sounds like 96 kbps MP3. The lossless/uncompressed FLACs that I play from a SSD in my car sounds fantastic.

Which Car do you have the SSD in?

I use an iPod in the car which I recently had upgraded with a new 500Gb SSD and battery. I play lossless ALAC files which were ripped from CDs.
They sound great.
Unusually for a modern car, I also have a CD player, so I keep a handful of CDs in the car as well.
This 3CD collection isn't bad and only cost me £5.00 :relaxed:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Classic-Road-Trip/release/17205193

Getting a SSD to skip, now THAT's a rough ride!! :smile:
I like my VW - CD player and related are in the passenger glovebox so not that accessible, but it has 2 SD card readers - 1 for the maps, 1 for music. Right now it is 66 gigabytes on the SD card with room to spare (can't recall the size, but I want to say 128 GB) and it has slots molded into the plastic to store 4 more SD cards in the passenger glove box and 1 more in the driver's "glove box" (large enough for the paperwork). Haven't gotten it to skip yet, but it occasionally - 1X a month or so - will hang up between tracks for 5-10 seconds.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #80,468 of 152,719
Pencils were an essential tool for cassettes.
8 tracks were more of a challenge when the tape came out. Absolute rubbish.
Was that a Ford Motor Co. 'innovation'... ?
Fortunately I never had one of those awful players in my car back in the 70s.
The cartridges cost a fortune!
Recorded my own with a Radio Shack 8 Track player/recorder on cheap (relative) Radio Shack blanks. They held up as well as any, later did the same with cassette. However, I used better blanks.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #80,469 of 152,719
I like my VW - CD player and related are in the passenger glovebox so not that accessible, but it has 2 SD card readers - 1 for the maps, 1 for music. Right now it is 66 gigabytes on the SD card with room to spare (can't recall the size, but I want to say 128 GB) and it has slots molded into the plastic to store 4 more SD cards in the passenger glove box and 1 more in the driver's "glove box" (large enough for the paperwork). Haven't gotten it to skip yet, but it occasionally - 1X a month or so - will hang up between tracks for 5-10 seconds.
I really like what you've described.

In early 2016 I was shopping Jeep Wranglers and, at the time, there was an option for a 20-30 GB HDD to store music. I don't think the system allowed for lossless/uncompressed files and the method to get files onto the HDD seemed a little wonky.

I opted for the basic stereo with factory Alpine speakers and subwoofer. After adding the aftermarket Kenwood + SSD I couldn't be happier.

Having a factory system with built-in SD cards sounds awesome.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #80,470 of 152,719
I really like what you've described.

In early 2016 I was shopping Jeep Wranglers and, at the time, there was an option for a 20-30 GB HDD to store music. I don't think the system allowed for lossless/uncompressed files and the method to get files onto the HDD seemed a little wonky.

I opted for the basic stereo with factory Alpine speakers and subwoofer. After adding the aftermarket Kenwood + SSD I couldn't be happier.

Having a factory system with built-in SD cards sounds awesome.
Yep, makes it easy - I just have to remember to safely eject the SD card or it corrupts it to the point that a computer won't even attempt to read it or reformat it.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #80,471 of 152,719
I use a special alignment jig mounted on a plinth connected to a 100' audiophile grade vibration-isolated concrete pier buried below grade and drilled into bedrock to apply green ink to my CDs.

Not free-hand like a freakin' amateur.
Yeah, but was that pier cryo-treated before you buried it? I thought not. Newbie. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #80,472 of 152,719
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #80,473 of 152,719
Recorded my own with a Radio Shack 8 Track player/recorder on cheap (relative) Radio Shack blanks. They held up as well as any, later did the same with cassette. However, I used better blanks.
Ditto...but with the Panasonic 8 Track below

1629245113733.png

Once I got into audio I switched to cassettes as well and ended up with a Nakamichi deck...a tad overkill for creating tapes for the Alpine stereo in the car! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back