Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #80,476 of 155,069
Yeah, but was that pier cryo-treated before you buried it? I thought not. Newbie. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Not much of a surprise that someone who supports treating ruining BBQ with vinegar would also champion the idea of cryo-treating various materials.
Go ahead and ignore the science and peer reviews.
You got this. :):)

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #80,477 of 155,069
Go ahead and ignore the science and peer reviews.
I do strive for consistency. My wife tells me "you're so predictable" enough that it seems to be working. :sweat_smile:

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #80,478 of 155,069
I do strive for consistency. My wife tells me "you're so predictable" enough that it seems to be working. :sweat_smile:
My peer spousal reviews are also remarkably consistent. So we have that in common. :jecklinsmile:

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #80,480 of 155,069
Disappointed. Pages of new posts and I thought, "Wow! A new chapter". But alas, not to be.

* not really disappointed, it's always a good read here, and glad to see BBQ getting mentioned in context with all the car/car-audio talk. I can't help wondering how awesome it would be to have a meet-up with BBQs, Beers, Whiskey and Music. Maybe one day!

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #80,481 of 155,069
Disappointed. Pages of new posts and I thought, "Wow! A new chapter". But alas, not to be.

* not really disappointed, it's always a good read here, and glad to see BBQ getting mentioned in context with all the car/car-audio talk. I can't help wondering how awesome it would be to have a meet-up with BBQs, Beers, Whiskey and Music. Maybe one day!
Beers, Whisky and Music, with or without BBQ, is always a great idea. ( No 8 track players/cartridges required though)
We'd need a neutral venue between Oz and the States. The UK perhaps....? :beyersmile:

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #80,482 of 155,069
Ditto...but with the Panasonic 8 Track below

1629245113733.png

Once I got into audio I switched to cassettes as well and ended up with a Nakamichi deck...a tad overkill for creating tapes for the Alpine stereo in the car! :wink:
I was sooooo close to buying a Nakamichi cassette deck when living in Japan, as I had lusted after one after hearing a friend's.
An excellent ( and honest) salesman in Akihabara, Tokyo, told me that cassettes would soon be dead as a format, and I should instead buy a CD player when I returned to England.
This was in about 1983 and I had never even seen a CD player back then!
Excellent advice and he was right. I didn't get around to buying a CD player until about 1993 and I still have it!

I didn't ask the salesman about turntables :beyersmile:

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #80,483 of 155,069
Beers, Whisky and Music, with or without BBQ, is always a great idea. ( No 8 track players/cartridges required though)
We'd need a neutral venue between Oz and the States. The UK perhaps....? :beyersmile:
You went the long way around. I would have picked Hawaii (or insert another pacific tropical island here) :smile:

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #80,485 of 155,069
I remember Jason writing on this blog, a long time ago, that he was walking thru the Schiit offices when he heard some very beautiful music. Interested, he tracked down the source and found one of the folks (maybe Dave?) playing a guitar. It then struck Jason how difficult it is to accurately recreate even the sound of one acoustic guitar :)
I had a similar experience before the full brunt of the pandemic. We had a local university student orchestra play in our cafeteria/auditorium. It echoed through the hallways. Memories are playing tricks with me -- but I remember the hallways being deserted. Even my 'best' kit simply cannot capture that acoustics. No way. No how. Pity...

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #80,486 of 155,069
....{{{{snip}}}}....he closest they got was with Magnepan speakers reproducing piano.
My instincts tell me that once I move out of the city... and out of a condominium... into the North Bruce Peninsula... my kit might reach that 3D-audio-effect.

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #80,487 of 155,069
Yes, Lokius is a flat finish, I'm talking about the remote controlled equalizer still in the works. I used "Loki (TOTL)" as I don't know what the official name of the remote controlled unit will be.
Lokizilla

Funny then that "mounted on a plinth connected to a 100' audiophile grade vibration-isolated concrete pier buried below grade and drilled into bedrock to apply..." comment was from an audiophile who did just that to support his turntable.

Can't make this stuff up. (sorry, this was from memory so I can't provide a link)
Is there a non audiophile grade version?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #80,488 of 155,069
I was sooooo close to buying a Nakamichi cassette deck when living in Japan, as I had lusted after one after hearing a friend's.
An excellent ( and honest) salesman in Akihabara, Tokyo, told me that cassettes would soon be dead as a format, and I should instead buy a CD player when I returned to England.
This was in about 1983 and I had never even seen a CD player back then!
Excellent advice and he was right. I didn't get around to buying a CD player until about 1993 and I still have it!

I didn't ask the salesman about turntables :beyersmile:
I bought a Nakamichi CR-4E in 1987 and used it many years. I was in my first job (pretty low pay) and the Nak was a stretch, but the public library rented out LPs and CDs for very little money. I rented countless LPs/CDs (and discovered so much great music) and taped them to cassette (I know, copyright.....but it was a one time copy for personal use, that way I silenced my conscience). The Nak paid itself back that way. And calibrating the deck before recording was always great fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back