Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 28, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #77,476 of 149,325
Until I read some subsequent posts, and zoomed in, I thought that was an NAD 2155. I used an NAD 3155 for years: first as my main amp in college, than as a pre-amp until I got my Cary SLP-90. I had alwoays thought I'd get a 2155...

I still have a NAD 3155 and a 2155, but I haven't played them in ages. I'd probably want to do a recap before firing them up again.

May 28, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #77,479 of 149,325
I still have a NAD 3155 and a 2155, but I haven't played them in ages. I'd probably want to do a recap before firing them up again.
After more than twenty years my 3155 finally gave out. It had been in my secondary system for likely a decade. I think the right channel either got scratchy or intermittent or cut out altogether. I'm sure I could have replaced the volume pot, and/or recapped it, but I think I sold it on AudiogoN and moved on. I was sad to see it go, really. Good value gear, the old NAD. I haven't heard their stuff since the Monitor Series was introduced. The Monitor Series amps lost out to Rotel when it was time to upgrade.

May 28, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #77,481 of 149,325
Actually, that's not quite what the new acknowledgements said. Here's what they actually are--three checkboxes before you complete your order:

( ) I understand the item with the longest backorder sets the ship date for my entire order. Example: if four items are 1-3 days and one is 6-8 weeks, your order ships in 6-8 weeks.
( ) I understand if the shipping date changes on the site after I place my order, that doesn’t apply to me. Example: if the site changes from 5-7 days to 2-4 weeks after you placed your order, you’ll still be shipping in 5-7 days.
( ) I understand that Schiit Audio can no longer change or combine orders, due to the need for warranty traceability. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The first one is simply informational--we only ship orders complete, so if you get 4 things with 1-3 day shipping and one with 10-12 weeks, it ships in 10-12 weeks. We just want to make this super clear so people can alter the order so they can get stuff earlier.

The second one is because we get avalanches of emails every time the ship date changes on the site. This doesn't apply to orders already placed. In fact, many of our products are starting to ship sooner than estimates, and speaker amps are getting near 1-3 days, rather than weeks, in many cases. This is just to let everyone know, don't hound us when something goes from 2-4 weeks to 10-12 weeks after you ordered--you get yours in 2-4 weeks, but people ordering now should expect to wait much longer.

The third one is because we get lots of requests to combine or change orders--so if you order a Mani and then you decide you'd rather have a Bifrost, and then change it to a Freya, we used to have to try to manage this through painful manual notes, which made warranty tracing particularly painful. So yes, we'll help you cancel an order so you can place a correct one, but there's no more ad-hoc changes allowed.

Yes, I know, we are terrible people. Yes, awful. And at the same time, I went to buy an awning for our CA house today, and what was the first thing I saw: ALL AWNINGS NOW 4-6 WEEKS DUE TO HIGH DEMAND. We're still waiting for a couch for our Corpus house, ordered in January. We went to get a high-powered computer for Ivana and found that pretty much all options were 3-6 weeks--past the date she was leaving to go home for a while. So we order a refurb, because those are in stock, right? Yes, except they delayed it 2 days, then a week, then another week--this is for a refurb that was, by definition, supposed to be in stock. Want a Camaro now? That's a nope. Plant's shut down. Want a Corvette right now? That's also a nope, plant's shut down. Want plywood right now? Hope you are OK with a second mortgage to pay for it.

I could go on and on about what we're doing to address this, including some of the most fundamental reorganizations ever seen here and at our partners. But these things take time, and even if they are accelerating, we're still having unexpected gotchas at many turns.

The cynical company would simply raise prices on everything 50%, and take a bath in the money shower that ensues, while enjoying the relaxation that less unit sales would provide. But we won't do that. That's not us. Instead, we will throttle demand by giving you realistic--or, these days, even pessimistic--estimates on when things will ship, because when stuff is backordered, it sells much slower.

Hopefully soon we will have much less backorder, or at least much shorter timeframes. We're doing our best, and we're making progress. But guys, seriously, this ain't easy. FUBAR is still the new normal. At least for now.

Jason,

Thank you for correcting my horrible paraphrasing - I was just really excited about how quickly my order was processed and shipped.

I teach a customer service course and I used your acknowledgements as an example of transparency and "under promising and trying to over deliver".

Update to my update:

Ordered: Wednesday 3:55 PM
Shipped: Thursday 7:54 AM
Received at my doorstep in Canada (Burnaby, BC): Friday 11:59 AM

Pic 1 is the Saga (came with nice Tung Sol GTB like the one I use in my Dark Voice) and Modius.
  • The Saga is part of a future project for when I find the space to move some systems around.

Pic 2 is the Modius on top of my outboard power supply for my Dynaco Tube Preamp handmade by an old friend, with an Asgard 3 on top using pyst wires.
  • This is in my office/teaching/listening space.
  • I also have a pair of JBL 305's and a Sansui CDX311 CD player that was modded by a former coworker.
  • The turntable is an Ariston RD11 with AT95.
  • Yes, I'm planning to organize, tidy the space.
  • Not listening to the Asgard/Modius yet, letting it run in before I comment. It is replacing a Modi 3 (not plus) that I bought last year.

Thanks for the great customer service and I know that I am extremely lucky - thank you, I am truly grateful.

Attachments

• schiit 1.jpg
    schiit 1.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 0
  • schiit 2.jpg
    schiit 2.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 0
May 28, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #77,482 of 149,325
Only option now is to find one on the used market. They should be coming direct from Schiit at some point this year!
Check "current deals" on the Schiit website - that's how I got my Saga

May 28, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #77,483 of 149,325
The NAD 2200 is an amp I've had since the early 80s to drive my Thiel CS2 and it is now driving some .7 Maggies. It has been completely recapped and the output relays replaced. The 2200 amps are capable of hitting transient peaks in excess of 1KW. They can drive the Maggies louder than I can stand, but I want to move the NAD back to my office setup with the Thiels.

The Magnavox is for the wife to watch DVDs...directly connected to the TV. Bypasses the stereo. el oh el
Happy wife, happy life... LOL

May 28, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #77,484 of 149,325
Actually, that's not quite what the new acknowledgements said. Here's what they actually are--three checkboxes before you complete your order:

( ) I understand the item with the longest backorder sets the ship date for my entire order. Example: if four items are 1-3 days and one is 6-8 weeks, your order ships in 6-8 weeks.
( ) I understand if the shipping date changes on the site after I place my order, that doesn’t apply to me. Example: if the site changes from 5-7 days to 2-4 weeks after you placed your order, you’ll still be shipping in 5-7 days.
( ) I understand that Schiit Audio can no longer change or combine orders, due to the need for warranty traceability. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The first one is simply informational--we only ship orders complete, so if you get 4 things with 1-3 day shipping and one with 10-12 weeks, it ships in 10-12 weeks. We just want to make this super clear so people can alter the order so they can get stuff earlier.

The second one is because we get avalanches of emails every time the ship date changes on the site. This doesn't apply to orders already placed. In fact, many of our products are starting to ship sooner than estimates, and speaker amps are getting near 1-3 days, rather than weeks, in many cases. This is just to let everyone know, don't hound us when something goes from 2-4 weeks to 10-12 weeks after you ordered--you get yours in 2-4 weeks, but people ordering now should expect to wait much longer.

The third one is because we get lots of requests to combine or change orders--so if you order a Mani and then you decide you'd rather have a Bifrost, and then change it to a Freya, we used to have to try to manage this through painful manual notes, which made warranty tracing particularly painful. So yes, we'll help you cancel an order so you can place a correct one, but there's no more ad-hoc changes allowed.

Yes, I know, we are terrible people. Yes, awful. And at the same time, I went to buy an awning for our CA house today, and what was the first thing I saw: ALL AWNINGS NOW 4-6 WEEKS DUE TO HIGH DEMAND. We're still waiting for a couch for our Corpus house, ordered in January. We went to get a high-powered computer for Ivana and found that pretty much all options were 3-6 weeks--past the date she was leaving to go home for a while. So we order a refurb, because those are in stock, right? Yes, except they delayed it 2 days, then a week, then another week--this is for a refurb that was, by definition, supposed to be in stock. Want a Camaro now? That's a nope. Plant's shut down. Want a Corvette right now? That's also a nope, plant's shut down. Want plywood right now? Hope you are OK with a second mortgage to pay for it.

I could go on and on about what we're doing to address this, including some of the most fundamental reorganizations ever seen here and at our partners. But these things take time, and even if they are accelerating, we're still having unexpected gotchas at many turns.

The cynical company would simply raise prices on everything 50%, and take a bath in the money shower that ensues, while enjoying the relaxation that less unit sales would provide. But we won't do that. That's not us. Instead, we will throttle demand by giving you realistic--or, these days, even pessimistic--estimates on when things will ship, because when stuff is backordered, it sells much slower.

Hopefully soon we will have much less backorder, or at least much shorter timeframes. We're doing our best, and we're making progress. But guys, seriously, this ain't easy. FUBAR is still the new normal. At least for now.
Yep, you should see the lead times for capital equipment - a normally 1 year bearing is now 2 years and a 9 month weldment is a year and a half from Europe and China is over 2 years for the same weldment. Stuff is crazy.

May 28, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #77,485 of 149,325
Check "current deals" on the Schiit website - that's how I got my Sa

Only option now is to find one on the used market. They should be coming direct from Schiit at some point this year!
I will be posting my Freya S as soon as I have been a member for 30 days. It has been sitting in a drawer unused for over a year

May 28, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #77,486 of 149,325
Yep, you should see the lead times for capital equipment - a normally 1 year bearing is now 2 years and a 9 month weldment is a year and a half from Europe and China is over 2 years for the same weldment. Stuff is crazy.
My wife is a head purchaser for a metal working supply company with many aviation clients and she says lead times change daily and prices keep going up.

May 28, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #77,487 of 149,325
I will be posting my Freya S as soon as I have been a member for 30 days. It has been sitting in a drawer unused for over a year
I look forward to reading your impressions and of course how much you are enjoying your music, the soundtrack of your life my friend. That's what all this is about. Memories and the music we associate with them with the two strongest being friendship and love.
And love is friendship set to music. Be well.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #77,490 of 149,325
normal. At least for now.
1. I will be patient.
2. I will be patient.
3. I will be patient.

should have to repeat 500 times for every email we send asking for updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back