Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 28, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #77,461 of 151,545
Actually, that's not quite what the new acknowledgements said. Here's what they actually are--three checkboxes before you complete your order:

( ) I understand the item with the longest backorder sets the ship date for my entire order. Example: if four items are 1-3 days and one is 6-8 weeks, your order ships in 6-8 weeks.
( ) I understand if the shipping date changes on the site after I place my order, that doesn’t apply to me. Example: if the site changes from 5-7 days to 2-4 weeks after you placed your order, you’ll still be shipping in 5-7 days.
( ) I understand that Schiit Audio can no longer change or combine orders, due to the need for warranty traceability. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The first one is simply informational--we only ship orders complete, so if you get 4 things with 1-3 day shipping and one with 10-12 weeks, it ships in 10-12 weeks. We just want to make this super clear so people can alter the order so they can get stuff earlier.

The second one is because we get avalanches of emails every time the ship date changes on the site. This doesn't apply to orders already placed. In fact, many of our products are starting to ship sooner than estimates, and speaker amps are getting near 1-3 days, rather than weeks, in many cases. This is just to let everyone know, don't hound us when something goes from 2-4 weeks to 10-12 weeks after you ordered--you get yours in 2-4 weeks, but people ordering now should expect to wait much longer.

The third one is because we get lots of requests to combine or change orders--so if you order a Mani and then you decide you'd rather have a Bifrost, and then change it to a Freya, we used to have to try to manage this through painful manual notes, which made warranty tracing particularly painful. So yes, we'll help you cancel an order so you can place a correct one, but there's no more ad-hoc changes allowed.

Yes, I know, we are terrible people. Yes, awful. And at the same time, I went to buy an awning for our CA house today, and what was the first thing I saw: ALL AWNINGS NOW 4-6 WEEKS DUE TO HIGH DEMAND. We're still waiting for a couch for our Corpus house, ordered in January. We went to get a high-powered computer for Ivana and found that pretty much all options were 3-6 weeks--past the date she was leaving to go home for a while. So we order a refurb, because those are in stock, right? Yes, except they delayed it 2 days, then a week, then another week--this is for a refurb that was, by definition, supposed to be in stock. Want a Camaro now? That's a nope. Plant's shut down. Want a Corvette right now? That's also a nope, plant's shut down. Want plywood right now? Hope you are OK with a second mortgage to pay for it.

I could go on and on about what we're doing to address this, including some of the most fundamental reorganizations ever seen here and at our partners. But these things take time, and even if they are accelerating, we're still having unexpected gotchas at many turns.

The cynical company would simply raise prices on everything 50%, and take a bath in the money shower that ensues, while enjoying the relaxation that less unit sales would provide. But we won't do that. That's not us. Instead, we will throttle demand by giving you realistic--or, these days, even pessimistic--estimates on when things will ship, because when stuff is backordered, it sells much slower.

Hopefully soon we will have much less backorder, or at least much shorter timeframes. We're doing our best, and we're making progress. But guys, seriously, this ain't easy. FUBAR is still the new normal. At least for now.
Saw that acknowledgement when ordering my Hel. I thought it was a nice touch. I am fully prepared to wait, I did not need it yesterday (both in terms of urgency as well as when I ordered it, I probably should not have.... but after I did I got an unexpected windfall that covers the cost so... yay).

It has been interesting to see how covid delays and other things have affected people's perception of what is a 'fair wait'. And Amazon too with their two day shipping. There is a group I am in and there was a preorder for a jacket that was merchandise for a game. The jacket was cool and it went on pre-order like... a month ago with a ship date of September. Some people felt that this was a really long wait time, which led to an interested discussion about how the jackets probably were not made yet because they wanted to get numbers before making them so they would not risk having too many or not enough. And it is a pre-order so there can be some lead time and delays. (I pre-ordered a couple LPs last September and there have been delays in their release to the point where they are now estimated Q4 of 2021. I am trusting that this is to make sure the quality is good, and I would rather have that than shoddy production).

I understand that those who have an urgent need, these delays can be rough. For me, I will keep using my Fulla 2 and the mic input of my laptop until I get my Hel.

May 28, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #77,462 of 151,545
It has arrived!

PXL_20210528_151004164.MP.jpg

Freya S (damn I need to get organized and clean)
Now do I order some Vidars or wait for Tyr?
Got a couple Parasound 2125 v.2 that I need to sell to fund the Vidar or Tyr purchase

May 28, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #77,465 of 151,545
It has arrived!

Got a couple Parasound 2125 v.2 that I need to sell to fund the Vidar or Tyr purchase

Nice! Let us know how you like it? Are you trying it with your NAD 2200 as well? And what's that Magnavox 'thing'? Some type of old-school technology...? :grin:

May 28, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #77,466 of 151,545
Are you trying it with your NAD 2200 as well? And what's that Magnavox 'thing'? Some type of old-school technology...?

The NAD 2200 is an amp I've had since the early 80s to drive my Thiel CS2 and it is now driving some .7 Maggies. It has been completely recapped and the output relays replaced. The 2200 amps are capable of hitting transient peaks in excess of 1KW. They can drive the Maggies louder than I can stand, but I want to move the NAD back to my office setup with the Thiels.

The Magnavox is for the wife to watch DVDs...directly connected to the TV. Bypasses the stereo. el oh el

May 28, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #77,467 of 151,545
The NAD 2200 is an amp I've had since the early 80s to drive my Thiel CS2 and it is now driving some .7 Maggies. It has been completely recapped and the output relays replaced. The 2200 amps are capable of hitting transient peaks in excess of 1KW. They can drive the Maggies louder than I can stand, but I want to move the NAD back to my office setup with the Thiels.

The Magnavox is for the wife to watch DVDs...directly connected to the TV. Bypasses the stereo. el oh el

Ahhh...at first glance I thought it was a VCR...! :ksc75smile:

May 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #77,468 of 151,545
Does anyone have a PDF of the Freya S manual. I've looked on the "archive" site, and on the Schiit web site. The pre was in excellent condition, but no manual.

Should I email Schiit? Since they are so busy and I want my Fulla 4 soon, I don't want to bother them and ask if they can't help.

May 28, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #77,469 of 151,545
May 28, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #77,471 of 151,545
It is easy to turn them on and off. The Denon that I use for surround has a switched outlet on the back. In this I have plugged, a Velodyne ULD-18 and a 110 volt timed relay.
the relay. The relay after one second turns on a 12 volt power supply that runs the first set of 12 volt fans. This relay also powers on the first set of Vidars. This relay also powers up the next timed relay. When powering up, if you are in the garage, you hear a click about every second until all the Vidars are powered. All of the fans are ultra quiet personal computer fans and spin a low RPM. With this setup the Vidars do not get warm. In total there are 8 Vidars and one ULD-18 amp. I have achieved moderation, because more would have been excessive.
I should show this to my wife and say "see, this is moderation, so my 2 Vidars is basically abnegation"

May 28, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #77,474 of 151,545
It has arrived!

Until I read some subsequent posts, and zoomed in, I thought that was an NAD 2155. I used an NAD 3155 for years: first as my main amp in college, than as a pre-amp until I got my Cary SLP-90. I had alwoays thought I'd get a 2155...

May 28, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #77,475 of 151,545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back