Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #74,326 of 150,446
Well since, we're showing off our wrists:

zfdo1C.jpg

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #74,328 of 150,446
So this is a rant for anyone planning on going to the Schiitr thinking they'll get anything out of it.
So on the 20th of this month I made the decision to go to the Schiitr. It was around a 2 hour drive. I was hyped up to go listen to equipment I wouldn't spend money on, to meet people and to see what I liked, and to buy it. Now, apparently the store keeps limited stock of the items at the store, which is fine because I already knew this and would've bought the item online anyways after going home. So I was listening to the equipment and settled on the Jotunheim. I went to the cashier and he said he had a Jotunheim in stock. So I bought it for $400. The box was labeled Jotunheim - No Dac. The Receipt was labeled Jotunheim - No Dac. Excited to get home, make an unboxing video and play around with it.

I opened it up, plugged it in and it WORKED! Yeah....not a big surprise. But I was looking at the website later that night and noticed how the Jotunheim on the website had 3 switches when mine had 2 on the front. I had received a closeout item but paid full price for it. No disclosure, the cashier didn't know and I didn't know that I got the Jotunheim (1) instead of the Jotunheim (2.) At the store. So I had to call the up the store the next day because it was past 6 that night.

I called the store and told them what happened and the cashier said that he'd pull all the items off the shelf that are labeled Jotunheim in fear that they're all like mine and that hed sent them back to the manufacturer. He also said that he'd make changes to the order and that I could come back the next week from Thursday to pick up the actual item I purchased. I decided since I was going back to the Schiitr that I might as well order something else because why not... So I decided to order the Bifrost 2 as well. Giving them more money might be an extra incentive to focus more on fixing the issue at hand... I told myself, but no. So I enjoyed the Jotunheim (1) for a week until I went back on Sunday to return the item. There was a 15 day return window I had to meet and Easter weekend next week is going to be a fiasco.

So I did call the cashier Thursday (25th) to see if he had the items delivered and he said that he got no stock but only online orders to be picked up in the store by other online customers. Keep in mind I have a 15 day window. And he tells me that I could email support to try to get this fixed or order the items online to have them delivered to the store. But that would mean waiting another week, having to go back to the store for a third time and buying another Jotunheim before the refund would hit the bank. So I just settled on refunding the item on Sunday and trying to email support.

I emailed support with a full story like this one and they said;
"I’m sorry to hear what happened. I’m very sorry but Jotunheims are not immediately available. New orders are averaging about 10 days to be ready before shipping. I’m sorry for the inconvenience but a new order would need to be made through the website for the Jotunheim 2, since a full refund has already been issued."

So basically they don't care that I spent almost 8 hours traveling back and forth to their store over a simple issue. They don't care about the store, the people traveling far to buy products. All they care about right now is the Online customer. I even tried asking them if they'd offer free shipping from the inconvenience but they said no... So I personally won't be buying any Schiit products in the future and I figured I would inform anyone trying to go the store.
I don't know what happened in your case and I'm not saying it didn't happen, but just to counter your post in case anyone sees this and thinks that this is normal Schiit behavior, I'd like to relate my experience.

Over a year after I had placed/received my order, I realized that Schiit may have made a mistake and sent me the wrong item (it was a very similar item and I was on a bit of a hiatus from these forums, so I wasn't really on top of every detail regarding the item and didn't notice the difference). I realized the mistake a little over a year later while watching a review on YouTube and contacted Schiit, basically asking if it's possible that a mistake was made. They had me photograph the item and what not and after confirming that a mistake had in fact been made (more than a year prior!) they told me they would ship me a new item at no cost to myself (International shipping, it's not cheap...). When I asked about returning the incorrect item, they told me to just keep it. I have always liked Schiit a lot and have purchased a fair amount of gear from them over the years, but after this incident, they very much reinforced how I feel about their customer service.

Even amazon which will usually ship you a new item with almost no questions asked, would never do it a year later. Schiit, by far has the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #74,329 of 150,446
Even amazon which will usually ship you a new item with almost no questions asked, would never do it a year later. Schiit, by far has the best customer service I've ever experienced.
In our case, we need to make sure customer service is more accommodating (as it was in your case) in all extraordinary cases, like the one just posted.

In terms of Amazon, the windows are getting shorter and they are asking a lot more questions these days. I bought something there recently that was so poorly designed and defective that they really shouldn't be selling it (at least IMO). They grilled me for an hour over the fact I was 2 days beyond the 15 day return window. I was, yes, but it was also a product I didn't use that much, and figured the early glitches would iron out. They did not.

So I get it. We should have stepped up in the case of the Jotunheim 1/2 mistake and made it right. Not sure why it didn't happen. Even if our supply lines are stressed, it's not like we can't accommodate a problem like this, since it is fairly unusual.

Some news: we are now producing product and shipping from Corpus Christi! Again, this is just Magni and Modi for now, but there will be over 10 products here by July. We've also addressed most supply chain issues, and our main PCB house is expanding to Corpus, so things are going to get better. It'll just take some time. Still getting set up in CC, but our people are assembling and sound checking, tech benches are online, we have an APx525 dedicated to production, as well as an Avermetrics, and, most importantly, we're packing and fulfilling orders here.

Oh, and a new chapter tomorrow.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 30, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #74,331 of 150,446
The end is nigh...on page 4856
  • magical thinking
  • anything said in Latin sounds profound
  • passing trucks
  • WFH
So a standard "Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up" page

Now ~100 pages to go...the last push to the page 4956

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #74,332 of 150,446
Brace yourself: no watches, BBQ, scotch, cats, dogs...

My missus bought new furniture for our family room and moved all the furniture she kept into our living room. Ordinarily boring stuff, I'll admit, but the reason it's apropos to this thread: I now have a chair in the living room I can use while I'm listening to head phones. Because of that, I've moved my Stax SR-Lambdas from my big stereo (with the post- @Jason Stoddard Theta electronics) to the living room and have been using them. Right now I'm using them with this little Musical Fidelity DAC/amp: V90-AMP. The sound is pretty good, but not as good as what I have in the bed room: Bifrost MB/Mjolnir/HE-500.

I realize I am comparing electrostatics to planars... My bed room system has more weight, more slam, density, fullness, weight whatever adjective you want to throw at "fuller" sound. There is more authority there. Now, there's a delicacy and speed and airiness the Stax bring which can't be beat when it comes to baroque music or the chamber music I've been listening to lately (Shostakovich string quartets and Joly Braga-Santos chamber works). My Stax even sound pretty good with the new-to-me Led Zeppelin remasters I've been listening to. They are a little over-matched by the most energetic of their songs, though. They just aren't that convincing when some muscle is called for. I don't believe the issue is one of wattage, though. I can turn the volume knob with the result being my ears hurt, but the sound is still lacking in the way I've tried to describe. That said, I remember complaining, in this thread as well as other places, about the lack of weight or depth with regard to my HE-500 before I bought my Bifrost.

In the next couple of days I should have a cable to let me try the V90-AMP with my Bifrost. That will answer the first question about what is(are) the limiting factor(s) for my Stax. Now if only Schiit had a "move your birthday forward" feature on their order page...

Oh, and the V90 will soon be installed in my "other hobby den". I think it will be perfect out there powering a pair of in-wall speakers with one of my DAPs as a source.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #74,333 of 150,446
Mar 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #74,334 of 150,446
Well since, we're showing off our wrists:

zfdo1C.jpg
Maybe I should come out of the closet and show my $20 real Rolex.
However, I had to repair it myself a few weeks back and now it only shows the correct time if it sits face down on a glass plate in my bookcase so I can read it from under.
When I throw in all the screws I don't remember where they came from or screw on the back of the watch it simply stops working.
I also don't have that beautiful mane of hair on my wrist due to years of suffocation under latex gloves.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #74,335 of 150,446
My intent was not to question your knowledge of colloquialisms, rather I was after cheap laughs. I think I got two...
Yes, I thought accommodating you would be the friendly thing to do.
Now you spoiled the intense mastery of our combined humor by writing this post.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #74,336 of 150,446
Mar 30, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #74,337 of 150,446
An open letter to Schiit
@Jason Stoddard

Dear Schiit,

Covid has been raging on for over a year now. That excuse is not as strong as you think now. Next thing you'll blame the schiit container ship that was stuck in the Suez for this. Chip shortages are primarily on gpus and more computer oriented products. Even drop, which primarily focuses on mass orders that ships after its manufactured, shipped earlier than expected. I ordered from them around late February with a similar type of product. Covid is a "schiit" excuse now...I don't want an assumption on inventory (There's a famous saying that I won't repeat about assuming). I want a solid date of when it will be shipped, not a back ordered date that keeps changing every couple of weeks. First time is okay, I get that. 2nd Time, okay a bit frustrating but schiit happens... 3rd time you're making an a** out of me. 80 + days is not acceptable for lead times. That's almost a full quarter. I've seen products become end of life faster than you guys are shipping schiit out.

If you cannot find where to get stuff manufactured, then get a new manufacturer or start manufacturing in house. If it's a management issue, then obviously someone has to take credit for this major stain that's been left on the shipping department rather than blaming covid. Ive read somewhere that 95% of the manufacturing industries are back to normal operation. I'm not blaming the shipping department for this obvious schiit show, but somebody does need to get their schiit together. This is an open letter to the higher ups at schiit.

P.S. Canceling is not an option. I want my schiit..

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #74,339 of 150,446
Wow. That seems pretty harsh.
If you don’t like a company’s turnaround time, COVID or not, then go buy another product from a better company. You’re not entitled to demand they manufacture or ship faster.
Doesn’t anyone remember pre-Amazon, maybe just 15 years ago when 6-8 weeks shipping was the norm? We are light years better than that now and yet complaints continue.
Maybe I just don’t understand.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #74,340 of 150,446
An open letter to Schiit
@Jason Stoddard

Dear Schiit,

Covid has been raging on for over a year now. That excuse is not as strong as you think now. Next thing you'll blame the schiit container ship that was stuck in the Suez for this. Chip shortages are primarily on gpus and more computer oriented products. Even drop, which primarily focuses on mass orders that ships after its manufactured, shipped earlier than expected. I ordered from them around late February with a similar type of product. Covid is a "schiit" excuse now...I don't want an assumption on inventory (There's a famous saying that I won't repeat about assuming). I want a solid date of when it will be shipped, not a back ordered date that keeps changing every couple of weeks. First time is okay, I get that. 2nd Time, okay a bit frustrating but schiit happens... 3rd time you're making an a** out of me. 80 + days is not acceptable for lead times. That's almost a full quarter. I've seen products become end of life faster than you guys are shipping schiit out.

If you cannot find where to get stuff manufactured, then get a new manufacturer or start manufacturing in house. If it's a management issue, then obviously someone has to take credit for this major stain that's been left on the shipping department rather than blaming covid. Ive read somewhere that 95% of the manufacturing industries are back to normal operation. I'm not blaming the shipping department for this obvious schiit show, but somebody does need to get their schiit together. This is an open letter to the higher ups at schiit.

P.S. Canceling is not an option. I want my schiit..
Man it's alright dude, you don't know what's fully going on behind the scenes. They understand what's going on and are feeling this the most out of any of us. You just gotta be patient and have to understand that there's so many other factors in this other than just Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back