Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #74,237 of 151,659
For only $31,000.- this Moser is a nice cheap apple watch knock off.

MoserFront.jpgMoserBack.jpg
Now that's what I'm talking about! Actually, wait, if it doesn't have Unison out, I'm not interested.

The ironic thing is, to me now that the Apple watch is so commonly seen, that $31,000 watch looks generic. I would make a completely different choice if I had that much money to spend on a watch.

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #74,238 of 151,659
Now that's what I'm talking about! Actually, wait, if it doesn't have Unison out, I'm not interested.

The ironic thing is, to me now that the Apple watch is so commonly seen, that $31,000 watch looks generic. I would make a completely different choice if I had that much money to spend on a watch.

It's basically a gag watch for rich people.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #74,242 of 151,659
Watches with 5+ figure price tags should be named Rolex, Patek, Jaeger....
Nah.. Those are the watches every wannabe without any artistic karakter wears.
Look for A. Lange & Sohne, Vacheron Constantin, F.P. Journe etc. and indeed Moser, Jeorg Hyseck, Patek Filip.
Rolexes are mass produced watches for peasants, criminals, rappers and unknowing salarymen.
Rolex, Breitling, Omega, are pro watches. not for the people whom wanted something elegant but want something to make a statement as like "Here am I".
There's always a factor of "Hey you. See me wearing this expensive Sports Watch.
Oh well. I had it all and sold the whole collection without blinking my eyes for with that money I was able to give my wife an extra 4 painless years to close her relations with all family and friends, with me, her daughter and grandson. Before she died from a nasty sort of cancer.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #74,243 of 151,659
Nah.. Those are the watches every wannabe without any artistic karakter wears.
Look for A. Lange & Sohne, Vacheron Constantin, F.P. Journe etc. and indeed Moser, Jeorg Hyseck, Patek Filip.
Rolexes are mass produced watches for peasants, criminals, rappers and unknowing salarymen.
Rolex, Breitling, Omega, are pro watches. not for the people whom wanted something elegant but want something to make a statement as like "Here am I".
There's always a factor of "Hey you. See me wearing this expensive Sports Watch.

Don't understand what you're trying to say here about watches and you're sounding very judgmental.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #74,244 of 151,659
Don't understand what you're trying to say here about watches and you're sounding very judgmental.
If I were you I'd hang around a bit and read several of the user's posts before tossing around judgements like "that's judgmental." :)

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #74,245 of 151,659
OTOH, being polite to avoid being murdered is not really politeness.
It's a truncated quote from Robert A. Heinlein. The full quote: “An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”

Essentially, pound away on your keyboard, anonymous, and oblivious to the world at large. Face to face, most would be much more polite, with or without firearms.

Walk into a bar. State your opinion, in the face of and contrary to your listener. Find your nose broken.

Anyone remember dueling (not involving banjos)?

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #74,246 of 151,659
Do coincidences exist?
Look at this amp that I walked in today at a b&m audio store in my city.

IMG_0278 1.jpg IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0280.jpg

I have one of those in storage. Restoration and a few minor mods and it's a great sounding little amp. Only hassle is the 7199 tube used in the amplifier gain/phase splitter sections is made of pure unobtanium.

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #74,247 of 151,659
I have one of those in storage. Restoration and a few minor mods and it's a great sounding little amp. Only hassle is the 7199 tube used in the amplifier gain/phase splitter sections is made of pure unobtanium.
maybe someone could design a similar but not exactly equivalent transfer function solid-state replacement for the 7199, akin to the LISST. technically would make it a hybrid then but better than no or highly distorted audio.

(very brief) search indicates 6U8A with pinout adapter might also work. (those possibly unobtainium as well???)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #74,248 of 151,659
Yea, Clarke Arthur also wrote the story used as the basis for the film "1002." :)
He also invented satellites. Didn't patent them and gets no credit.
Heinlein invented waldos in a story named that, I believe.

There be giants in yonder field. Tread lightly!

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #74,249 of 151,659
maybe someone could design a similar but not exactly equivalent transfer function solid-state replacement for the 7199, akin to the LISST. technically would make it a hybrid then but better than no or highly distorted audio.

search indicates 6U8A with pinout adapter might also work. (those possibly unobtainium as well???)
6U8A is still available. Mine is modified to use a 6CG7A in place of the 7199. The gain is different and I had to jigger the feedback loop a bit, but it sounded really nice. The dual triode made it a lot more like the classic Williamson amplifier.

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #74,250 of 151,659
Been waiting for a month or more for Freya + to go off backorder. One day after the deadline it has been bumped up another month. Anyone know if so many new orders caused it to rapidly go back to backorder status, or if it never left? Glad I bought a backordered camera tripod when two became available last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back