Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #74,266 of 150,820
I also have a second Omega Seamaster which was bought for me by my wife for my 60th birthday. This one is not actually mine but is pretty much exact in every detail. Hopefully this meets with Dr Tinin’s approval.
00F035CB-F995-4554-A565-39A7D951D6DC.jpeg

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #74,267 of 150,820
20210301_105752[1].jpg

Hey, if we're doing watches, here's my latest purchase. A Casio G-Shock Frogman, color scheme and model name from the once-thought-to-be-extinct-but since-rediscovered Borneo Rainbow Toad. How could I resist? Watches, like audio, are a hobby to be enjoyed as one sees fit; no need to be judgemental. Then again, for some people, being judgemental seems to be their hobby...

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #74,268 of 150,820
I looked those up. Some were beautiful, some made me think, "how much for that?" All were absolutely more than I'm willing to spend. Fun to window shop, though. I guess I'm am a rung below Dr. Tinnin's "peasants, criminals, rappers and unknowing salarymen" when it comes to chronographs. I am content with my wrist watches.
Don't be sad.
As far as statistical studies show; most of those (Rolex et al) that are not 1: Fake or 2: Stolen are heavily borrowed upon.
I think one of the reasons for Schiit's succes is giving top quality without having to rob a bank or ask nicely for a loan.
Building that quality in super bling variations could be a market for them but would also distract customers from quality pur sang to doubt and ultimately generate a wrong decision, hurting themselves and the companies gross revenue in the end.
Buying a $99 worth $1000 bling-bling Schiit product will in the end slow people down before buying the next product.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #74,271 of 150,820
20210301_105752[1].jpg

Hey, if we're doing watches, here's my latest purchase. A Casio G-Shock Frogman, color scheme and model name from the once-thought-to-be-extinct-but since-rediscovered Borneo Rainbow Toad. How could I resist? Watches, like audio, are a hobby to be enjoyed as one sees fit; no need to be judgemental. Then again, for some people, being judgemental seems to be their hobby...

That's a sweet G-Shock. Not sure if you're aware, but an actual frog professor has reviewed the watch: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a...views-the-g-shock-frogman-borneo-rainbow-toad

I also have a couple of G-Shocks in my collection, a yellow "CasiOak" and a Rangeman.

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #74,272 of 150,820
It's funny, I was just looking at a Rangeman yesterday. I store my watches not in direct sunlight, but near a window, so the idea of a solar powered watch that is never going to be out of batteries when I reach for it is enticing. I've also always wanted a watch with a compass. After the date, that's just one of the things that makes most sense to me to have on my wrist with the time.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #74,273 of 150,820
20210301_105752[1].jpg

You should visit your GP, your wrist is not ok.

I like Casio! Got the cheap one without g-shock, but mountain biking still goes fine with it.
For being fancy a Skagen!

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #74,276 of 150,820
Ok, here is one from my vintage Heuer collection.

Attachments

• aut sil.jpg
    aut sil.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #74,278 of 150,820
I looked those up. Some were beautiful, some made me think, "how much for that?" All were absolutely more than I'm willing to spend. Fun to window shop, though. I guess I'm am a rung below Dr. Tinnin's "peasants, criminals, rappers and unknowing salarymen" when it comes to chronographs. I am content with my wrist watches.
I have a feeling expensive watches will make Kings in the ChaosEpoch.

Seems like a good way to get your hand lopped off.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #74,279 of 150,820
I have had fine conversations in bars where I stated my opinion, in the face of and contrary to my listener. That often makes for good debate or discussion, and even friends.

Bully for you.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #74,280 of 150,820
Question for here or the next Vlog ... is there any plan in the next year to build a Mani-us? I am trying to buy a TT and some of the best cartridges seem to be in the 400 - 1000 ohm range.

@Jason Stoddard
if you could find a tech in your area, they could likely replace or add some parallel loading resistors on your existing Mani to customize it. resistors look to be surface-mount SMR 0805 size, so this work could be done using an ESD-safe soldering station with a very fine tip, and without needing a microscope. as an alternative to warranty-voiding modifications, perhaps there are plug-in RCA in-line adapters that could add parallel resistors for loading.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back