Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #74,207 of 153,540
I'm no power supply designer or USB expert, but it's my understanding that USB3.1 Gen 2 can provide 100W at 20V through a USB-C connector. I thought that would be enough power for a good dac/amp. Internal USB power supplies are typically noisy, so maybe there's more to be gained by using a secondary, external supply. My current work laptop runs solely off a usb-c connector (granted it's a fairly basic pc), but the tech is out there.
Well if you have a battery hook it up. But no way anyone will have a source with enough power for Hel. Two cables are a must.

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #74,208 of 153,540
And yet, by US law, ketchup is a vegetable.
1. French fries are an edible utensil for eating ketchup

2. Set aside what catsup was 200 plus years ago. About 30 years a US grocery chain in the USA called Trader Joe's wanted to sell a honey sweetened catchup, no matter how you spell it. They developed it and were ready to launch but a government agency, Federal Trade Commissar? Food and Drug Administration? said they could not name it ca-ca-ketchup unless it contained sugar. The USA has standards for many retail products so people get what they think are buying. Ka-ka-catsup is required to have tomatos/paste, vinegar, salt, sugar or corn syrup, spices, amd something else.
Trader Joe's asked if honey could count as sugar or corn syrup. Nope, not in the official recipe!
[Pause] Trader Joe's asked, "could call it Tomato Ketchy?"
"Yes, as long as you don't call it Catchup." They sold it for while, months? but dropped it.

I'm opposed to [attempted humor warning] all, repeat all government regulations.

Well, except when I'm flying in a plane.

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #74,209 of 153,540
I travel to several time zones every week and having a watch sync to local time has been a real pleasure for me.
GMT master, my favourite!

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #74,210 of 153,540
99.9% of the time I'm not wearing a watch even though I've got a couple of them. Like the idea of the Apple watch but I'm firmly in the Android camp so that's not an option. Haven't gotten motivated to find a good Android version that doesn't look like I'm wearing a brick on my wrist. Speaking of old school, I inherited my Dad's Bulova Accutron from the mid 60's. I need to get it repaired so I can hear the tuning fork again. Really neat electromechanical device.

Accutron is super cool, you really should get it serviced.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #74,211 of 153,540
Speaking of nixie it's not a watch but I pulled this out of my letterbox this morning . Fake nixie it has 25mm 16x9 IPS screens with hires images of nixie tubes . Just switched it on , according to the online manual you can download any images you like . Very cool I think and much lower power consumption than real nixie .

P1010016.JPG

That looks pretty cool, I always fancied a nixie clock but the heat really put me off. I don't suppose you could share the details?

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #74,212 of 153,540
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #74,214 of 153,540
Samsung has smart watches which link with their phones, but they're just knock-offs of the Apple watch.
Knock-offs? They look nothing like the Apple watch. Samsung always tried to make it look traditional.
cfGQMxMAf2vBcfvWFAnd8J-1200-80.jpg

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #74,215 of 153,540
For the last few years my daily watch has been an automatic Omega Seamaster. Prior to that I wore Tag Heuer watches for many years , mainly one that my wife bought me for our 25th wedding anniversary. I have an Apple Watch but rarely, if ever, wear it as I much prefer a mechanical time keeper.

I solved this issue by wearing Apple Watch on my right wrist and Speedmaster on my left wrist. It felt weird for a couple of weeks, but now it feels just fine. Haters gonna hate. I would replace the watch with a sensor bracelet sporting similar functionality, if Apple decided to make one.

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #74,216 of 153,540
Erm this may sound embarrassing, but until now Schiit support hasn't replied me yet about my Eitrs but I am starting to suspect that my reply has not reached them somehow, hence the lack of replies from them

How do I know if they have received my reply?

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #74,218 of 153,540
IME they’re pretty snappy. Try sending a chaser; if you don’t get a reply soon thereafter, try starting a new email thread and mention your previous conversation.
And don't forget that Schiit is busy getting their new facility in Texas on line, so some of their resources normally handling service issues may be otherwise occupied...

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #74,219 of 153,540
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #74,220 of 153,540
IME they’re pretty snappy. Try sending a chaser; if you don’t get a reply soon thereafter, try starting a new email thread and mention your previous conversation.
Thanks, I'll do that next week if I still don't see anything

And don't forget that Schiit is busy getting their new facility in Texas on line, so some of their resources normally handling service issues may be otherwise occupied...
Thanks, that's what I thought too, that was why I am hesistant to send a chaser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back