Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #73,741 of 149,326
I just got through mowing my lawn. I hate you. :laughing:
I guess the wife finally left you and took the kid/lawn boy with her. Sorry dude - next Cheerwine's on me. 😏

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #73,742 of 149,326
I guess the wife finally left you and took the kid/lawn boy with her. Sorry dude - next Cheerwine's on me. 😏
The kid might be salvageable. Maybe. He's currently in Dad's "tread very lightly" space. Are all teenage boys disgusting slobs, or just mine? :rage:

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #73,744 of 149,326
Huh. I seem to remember that you NC folks use grass clippings and dead leaves to marinate your meat before smoking it with diesel exhaust.

I figured that fresh grass would be preferable to old but what do I know?
You have that so totally backwards. We use TX BBQ to increase the effectiveness of the clippings and dead leaves for use as fertilizer.

But that brings up something even more ridiculous: fertilize the lawn so that it will, what? Make the grass grow faster so that we have to mow it more often, and mowing sucks. I question my own sanity every time I do it... :laughing:

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #73,745 of 149,326
It’s just a phase that will run it’s course. Be patient, it won’t last more than a decade or so!
Somehow that makes me feel not better. Thanks? :sweat:

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #73,746 of 149,326
Another update: gonna be a crazy year. Tyr (AKA biggus ampius) released to production, as well as Loki Max and Folkvangr (10 tube headphone amp), and another one on the inexpensive end of things, and Urd beta now in production, and a couple other things. Plus next week. And a couple weeks after that.

Buckle. The. ****. Up.

(Standard disclaimers apply: things may be delayed due to my incompetence/supply chain/aliens/more COVIDs/meteors or other end-of-the-world scenarios, whatever.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 20, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #73,748 of 149,326
Oh, and bcowen, I'll buy you TX BBQ at Nueces Brewing anytime. Or CA tri-tip, if you want to blow up your head. Lotsa good BBQ all over the place (some of the best BBQ I had was in Tokyo), no need to crap on other interpretations of it.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #73,749 of 149,326
Warning!! Thread Hijack in Progress!!

Ok, so I have a Bifrost MB with USB5 (or whatever the pre-current version is called). I had been running it under Win7 using Schiit's legacy USB drivers without issue. Until the OS finally became corrupted enough to force me to wipe the HDD, install a SSD, and install Win10. The Bifrost connected right up and works. However, I'm not too fond of the result. Even though I've told the windoze driver to allow exclusive mode, I don't think it's making any difference. Just to confirm the small sliver of sanity I have left has not escaped me, I just played several different songs using Foobar 2000 that were 16-bit or 24-bit encoded with 44k, 48k, and 96k bitrates and not once did I hear any of the Bifrost's relays click. I do have the default format set to 24-bit / 192k in the device properties.

To my limited intelligence, it appears that the computer is upconverting everything from Foobar before sending it out to the Bifrost. Previously with Win7, the Schiit drivers gave me the option of running in ASIO mode and in that mode, the Bifrost was definitely seeing different bitstreams that would correlate to the different bitrates and word sizes of the various songs.

My question to the Collective: Am I wasting my time forcing an installation of the old Schiit drivers in an attempt to regain ASIO mode? Could I screw up something that is currently not broken (except in my mind)? I know for a fact that my ears will not hear any difference in sound quality, real or not, but my brain will still tell me it's not "bit perfect" so it's flawed.

Should I just tell my brain to shut up and enjoy the music? Thanks all!
I Messed around with WASAPI and ASIO modes ... using Foobar 2000 (and VLC) . On my Win 7 machine, I never detected any improvements. Nor did I get dramatic sound quality improvements when I eventually upgraded to Win 10.
Re: enjoy the music. Sure! And tweak tweak tweak! :ksc75smile::robot:

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #73,750 of 149,326
Oh, and everyone else getting political: thanks for keeping it civil (in general). If it gets noncivil, I'll leave you to the tender mercies of the Head-fi mods. If they choose to nuke the whole thread, well, that's on you. Less writing for me. Thanks for reducing my workload.

Hint: no politics best chance for it staying civil.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #73,751 of 149,326
Huh. I seem to remember that you NC folks use grass clippings and dead leaves to marinate your meat before smoking it with diesel exhaust.

I figured that fresh grass would be preferable to old aged but what do I know?
FTFY (and for @bcowen

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #73,752 of 149,326
Welcome to this funky dive, the locals are mostly harmless although they get easily distracted by BBQ, cats, whisk(e)y, and silly political arguments. They need regular rations of Schiit wisdom (and best of all, new Schiit) to get back to normal for a little while.

Speaking of mostly harmless in an audio forum, the original BBC radiocast of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is worth every penny. I got mine as a CD boxset decades ago, a great listen for long flights (when we get back to doing that).
I enjoy my hours of Hard Core History podcasts on my Bifrost. My ModiMB/EITR/Magni chugs along in my study. Welcome, @Jessedavid4 ... your first Modi/Magni will blow yer mind!

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #73,753 of 149,326
I enjoy my hours of Hard Core History podcasts on my Bifrost. My ModiMB/EITR/Magni chugs along in my study. Welcome, @Jessedavid4 ... your first Modi/Magni will blow yer mind!
6WRsG6F.jpg

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #73,754 of 149,326
Yeah no lie, it's been amazing! Beats this onboard audio I've been using for the last decade now.

On a side note, I picked up a Hiby r3. So I can actually test the difference between the AKM DAC and the ESS Sabre DAC. Although I keep hearing different sides of them both. But oddly, I kind of like the AKM. Maybe it's just me, but I notice I can hear the mids a little better on the akm.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #73,755 of 149,326
Yeah no lie, it's been amazing! Beats this onboard audio I've been using for the last decade now.

On a side note, I picked up a Hiby r3. So I can actually test the difference between the AKM DAC and the ESS Sabre DAC. Although I keep hearing different sides of them both. But oddly, I kind of like the AKM. Maybe it's just me, but I notice I can hear the mids a little better on the akm.
ESS Sabre makes my skin crawl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back