Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #72,977 of 151,659
As a resident of Los Angeles I can say this is nothing but the typical conservative image of CA - Sure there is crime - but there is crime anywhere and everywhere. Let me put it this way. I have walked unharmed thru LA's Skid Row. I have been viciously harassed in a racist manner in 1) rural California - so no, it's not nice. 2) Colo Springs 3) Texas (El Paso). So no - Iike I mentioned before, found a home and will never leave. And we are the 5th economic power in the world. I have never been or will be back to Colorado or Texas and avoid rural California as much as possible.

Blunt, yes, but it has to be said. Clarifying the truth is not politics. (and back to audio - sorry could not stay silent. - the post above is 100% wrong)

I was going to pass this by, but thinking it over, there are a couple of things that must be said.

I'm anything but "the typical conservative." Appearing to be tolerant with crime in California by saying it's anywhere and everywhere is no better than saying racism is tolerable in California because it's anywhere and everywhere. While both may indeed be anywhere and everywhere, nobody should be sanguine with either situation.

Everyone should be alarmed by an escalation of violent and destructive crime, and particularly in light of what looks like society's inability -- or is it apathy? -- to prevent and address it. Perhaps too many people are like Randy Newman's character in Old Kentucky Home, whose attitude about domestic violence is, "But I'm all right, so I don't care."

And I'm sad that your attitude about rural California is so negative. Maybe you've never been to Leggett, Coulterville, McCloud, Weaverville, Bolinas, Boonville, Marysville, Cambria, Gualala, or hundreds of other towns and localities (I'm more familiar with what's north of SLO than with your neck of the woods).

It's a lot better to be constructive than to be part of the problem. But the first step is a consciousness of reality, and the current reality is that California has been on a very negative trajectory for decades, and recently experiencing some accelleration. A LOT of people are leaving it behind, unfortunately, but they can't be blamed for making careful decisions for themselves and their families. I hope those of us left behind will be able to keep our home state from capsizing altogether.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #72,978 of 151,659
Thanks for reaching out. Appreciated. Not to be a pain but as a global player, which you are now, it is about the ratios. I don’t know how much your distributors got last year, neither do we know total production figures. I think last year your production was very reasonable and we saw more than usual people ordering directly on Schiit.com (and complaining about the increase the couriers were making). Anyways good to see more product shall go overseas for us European Schiitheads to buy! Me personally are looking forward to Urd :)
Ha, if it came down to a choice between Sintra and some Schiit, it would be an easy decision. And you're already there, lucky dog!

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #72,980 of 151,659
Probably because he doesn't have time to deal with the petty BS people insist on spewing on this thread.

Take the politics elsewhere, people.
Just to clarify, @Ableza, my observations about California had to do entirely with economics and crime, and not politics *at all* (unless someone thinks nurturing economic growth is liberal or conservative or Republican or Democrat or Green...which I don't). Economics, not politics, was ultimately the driver behind Jason's expanding Schiit to and building up capacity in Utah and Texas. It's what's best for the company that we all love and like to discuss. As Jason has observed, California is not trending well as a location to do business or be a member of the middle class. It's just good leadership to recognize reality and do what's best for the company he founded and has nurtured and grown over the years.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #72,982 of 151,659
BBQ still rocks!! The rest is to be determined. Today is the lifting of COVID restrictions (including masks) and Spring Break is next week. :astonished:
This is where I normally would write something about that situation which would be removed a few hours later and complemented with a month's ban for me.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #72,983 of 151,659
Just to clarify, @Ableza, my observations about California had to do entirely with economics and crime, and not politics *at all* (unless someone thinks nurturing economic growth is liberal or conservative or Republican or Democrat or Green...which I don't). Economics, not politics, was ultimately the driver behind Jason's expanding Schiit to and building up capacity in Utah and Texas. It's what's best for the company that we're all like to love and discuss. As Jason has observed, California is not trending well as a location to do business or be a member of the middle class. It's just good leadership to recognize reality and do what's best for the company he founded and has nurtured and grown over the years.
Sure. Then perhaps you were not the target of my comment? :) I also was happily discussing economics, but there are some who insist on bringing politics into it (and also crime, which has very little to do with the topic of doing business in California, Texas, or Timbuktu.)

As I said earlier, my company is currently investing several tens of millions into a new facility in California to relocate certain operations out of Texas. There are many reasons for this, not the least of which is customer proximity, but mainly because of the ease of doing business.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #72,984 of 151,659
On the topic of music but probably still just as controversial. I am listening to some Dylan and the Dead and can't help but think Dylan really can't sing...

:deadhorse:
Saw them together in Anaheim I think in 1987. Great concert indeed. I agree that Dylan has a very poor singing voice, but he "owns it" and there is something about that which I find enjoyable.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #72,985 of 151,659
BBQ still rocks!! The rest is to be determined. Today is the lifting of COVID restrictions (including masks) and Spring Break is next week. :astonished:
What could go wrong? LOL

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #72,986 of 151,659
Got to have a small audio scare last night. Queued up a song on youtube (only place I can find this version of said song) and noticed an unpleasant buzzing/ringing in the left channel during the start up of the song.

Signal path was laptop to Modi Multibit via USB to Valhalla 2 to Sennheiser HD600s.

I was worried it was my headphones but decided to do a couple tests. I first switched the source of the modi multibit to my oppo which feeds it through optical and the issue persisted. I then switched the left and right input at the Valhalla and found the issue moved to the right channel. The issue was the modi multibit. Worried, I decided to try turning it off and then on. After waiting for it to turn back on, I tried the initial track and again and it was clear and wonderful.

Edit: for fun, this is the track in question. A rock song from a video game soundtrack that I enjoy immensely. Hopefully the link respects the timestamp for the start point if not, it is at 1:42:07

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #72,987 of 151,659
Got to have a small audio scare last night. Queued up a song on youtube (only place I can find this version of said song) and noticed an unpleasant buzzing/ringing in the left channel during the start up of the song.

Signal path was laptop to Modi Multibit via USB to Valhalla 2 to Sennheiser HD600s.

I was worried it was my headphones but decided to do a couple tests. I first switched the source of the modi multibit to my oppo which feeds it through optical and the issue persisted. I then switched the left and right input at the Valhalla and found the issue moved to the right channel. The issue was the modi multibit. Worried, I decided to try turning it off and then on. After waiting for it to turn back on, I tried the initial track and again and it was clear and wonderful.

Edit: for fun, this is the track in question. A rock song from a video game soundtrack that I enjoy immensely. Hopefully the link respects the timestamp for the start point if not, it is at 1:42:07

Yes, that's a known issue with modi multibit, getting the ringing in one channel, that goes away after a reboot. Mine does that as well. Not sure if the later firmwares have fixed that issue. If it did, I would probably request one of those new firmware chips and install it.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #72,988 of 151,659
Yes, that's a known issue with modi multibit, getting the ringing in one channel, that goes away after a reboot. Mine does that as well. Not sure if the later firmwares have fixed that issue. If it did, I would probably request one of those new firmware chips and install it.
Ah, good to know it is a known issue. This was the first instance I had in three and a half years so I guess I was lucky. And good to know that the fix is just a reboot. I admit it is a bit hard to focus on work as I just want to enjoy this music more.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #72,989 of 151,659
That's never been an issue with mine but I'm glad it's an easy fix.

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #72,990 of 151,659
I've had it happen several times with my Modi Multibit. Clears up with a re-boot. I've passed Mimby along to my future son-in-law after I got BF2. I have made him aware of the issue and need to re-boot occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back