Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #72,946 of 152,345
Yes I can not wait

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #72,947 of 152,345
Can we please stop the state vs state; conservative vs liberal; politics vs media sensationalism; perspective vs stereotyping, Urinary Olympic Competition (Pi$$ing Contest) please...? Last time I checked (aside from bad BBQ), this isn't the forum for it. We all have our perspectives. You (the proverbial) don't know me, what I think, or what my life experiences have been, and I don't know yours. All the pigeonholing of people into narrow "categories" is what's causing all the crap today.

So, I think we're on the part of the curve where Jason is going to chime in and put everybody on notice. Personally, I would rather him jump straight to a new and entertaining chapter.

Cheers and 'Nuff Said
-HK sends

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #72,948 of 152,345
To answer my own question, I emailed van den Hul last weekend to ask whether they could make a custom-length 3T interconnect for me. I figured I'd get no answer so I kind of put the thought on the back burner and kept looking for other solutions. Fast-forward to today, I get a reply from Mr. van den Hul himself, president and CEO. I had a clayey bowel movement when I saw the name in my inbox. XD

Let's see if I can scratch my 3T itch.
20 years ago I bought all my cables from Van de Hul, can’t say they sound more fantastic than other cables that I own or made but they are well made and durable, basically the same as when I bought them. Only the triaxial coax needed a solder.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #72,949 of 152,345
20 years ago I bought all my cables from Van de Hul, can’t say they sound more fantastic than other cables that I own or made but they are well made and durable, basically the same as when I bought them. Only the triaxial coax needed a solder.

My father's home theater has all van den Hul cabling (except from power cords) so it's a brand I'm very familiar with. Back in the day we had friends in this hobby who were also using van den Hul cables, so we had a chance to try a number of them. They released the 3T series shortly before I moved out and my father retired, and I've wanted to try it ever since. We'll see how that turns out :)

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #72,950 of 152,345
I guess it depends on your perspective. If a company can't ship products via its main sales channel, the last ones who will get products are remote distributors. That's how business works. If on the other hand you happen to be among those potential customers relying on distributors, then I understand how you might feel left out. But it's really just supply and demand.
I disagree. I am of the opinion that it is about choices. Often the choice is the easy one. I know a thing or two about Supply Chains and fair distribution is hard to find, mainly because it takes extra effort which is not available in back order situations. But that doesn’t mean that is how business should work.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #72,951 of 152,345
Quite an understatement to say that the compact cassette "eventually found its way into mass production"! It enabled the Sony Walkman which launched the entire category of personal audio, and became standard on car stereos. Before CDs entered the market, prerecorded cassettes had begun to outsell LPs.
I remember buying a Sony Walkman when I lived in Japan in 1980. I couldn't quite believe how small it was and how great it sounded.:beyersmile:
I think Sony originally made it as a design challenge for their Engineers and then decided to market it.
It really was a design classic. Absolutely brilliant :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #72,952 of 152,345
Bingo.

I know this sucks, but let me repeat myself again, for those who missed it:

1. in January, we let distributors know that we were working on supply, but it would be several months out, and also based on ramp-up in Corpus Christi, and complicated by the AKM situation. We also assigned a point person to directly communicate with them, and provide monthly updates.
2. In February, we provided a short list of products distributors could order, and have tried to fulfill them. That has been complicated by higher than anticipated demand--dramatically higher--like I also said, we are building runs 9-10x higher than 2 years ago now to try to get ahead. There is no "planning" for this kind of surge, there is only reacting.
3. Now, we have a start date for Corpus Christi, and the larger runs are starting to hit. This will help, but again, it will take time. Again, "planning" is laughable at the surge we are looking at.

Add in supply chain disruptions--yes, they are real--seriously, have you tried to buy literally anything lately? GM has plants impacted for parts that aren't even their core business. Everyone is irritated. Nobody wants it to be like this. We are trying to make things better...for everyone. But it won't happen overnight.
Thanks for reaching out. Appreciated. Not to be a pain but as a global player, which you are now, it is about the ratios. I don’t know how much your distributors got last year, neither do we know total production figures. I think last year your production was very reasonable and we saw more than usual people ordering directly on Schiit.com (and complaining about the increase the couriers were making). Anyways good to see more product shall go overseas for us European Schiitheads to buy! Me personally are looking forward to Urd :)

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #72,953 of 152,345
I disagree. I am of the opinion that it is about choices. Often the choice is the easy one. I know a thing or two about Supply Chains and fair distribution is hard to find, mainly because it takes extra effort which is not available in back order situations. But that doesn’t mean that is how business should work.
I understand all the frustrations and feel them as I also reside in Europe.

But Schiit is a direct sales company, it always was and, I presume, it always will be. That is the choice they made.

Because of that I view local distributors only as a bonus which saves me from import tax and delivery cost uncertainty. If I really need something (really need in audio?! 🤣) I’ll go through the hassle of ordering directly. Otherwise, the hassle is a nice filter that saves me a bunch of money. 😎

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #72,955 of 152,345

But Schiit is a direct sales company, it always was and, I presume, it always will be. That is the choice they made.

Because of that I view local distributors only as a bonus which saves me from import tax and delivery cost uncertainty. If I really need something (really need in audio?! 🤣) I’ll go through the hassle of ordering directly. Otherwise, the hassle is a nice filter that saves me a bunch of money. 😎
Indeed a healthy filter with loads of pre-ringing.

One last comment on the subject, regarding this:

I believe another choice they made was to appoint Distributors in UK and EU at a certain point.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #72,956 of 152,345

Don't forget, local distributors provide local warranty and upgrading services too. This means you do not need to send in your devices back to the US for repairs/RMA/upgrades.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #72,957 of 152,345
Indeed a healthy filter with loads of pre-ringing.

One last comment on the subject, regarding this:

I believe another choice they made was to appoint Distributors in UK and EU at a certain point.

There is a Singaporean distributor for South-East Asia too

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #72,958 of 152,345
It's not even that big of a hassle. Sure, you end up paying a little more than if you bought locally, but not that much more. I ordered twice from the mothership and it was a smooth experience in both cases.
Don’t know what you consider little but just the shipping is 3 times more expensive now and import duties shall be around 25% (bought four caps for 75€ and ended up paying 95€)

I don’t think it is competitive enough, hence Sonority exists.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #72,959 of 152,345
Ver
Don't forget, local distributors provide local warranty and upgrading services too. This means you do not need to send in your devices back to the US for repairs/RMA/upgrades.
y true, most likely one of the main reasons for the choice for distributors.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #72,960 of 152,345
Don’t know what you consider little but just the shipping is 3 times more expensive now and import duties shall be around 25% (bought four caps for 75€ and ended up paying 95€)

Ah, I had not considered that. Shipping costs were reasonable last I ordered from the U.S. but if they have increased significantly then yes, it is a hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back