Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #73,006 of 153,622
OK. Are y'all sitting down? This is actually a Schiit related question. And yes, it's coming from me!! :astonished:

I'm about 99% sure about ordering a pair of Magnepan LRS speakers. The one thing that is making me a teeny bit hesitant is that it seems to be a bit finicky about amps preferring amps that deliver higher current . Is anyone out there running Ragnarok (original version) with LRS and willing to comment on their experience? The Ragnarok thread is pretty sparse as it relates to v1.

Thanks!!

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #73,007 of 153,622
I've had it happen several times with my Modi Multibit. Clears up with a re-boot. I've passed Mimby along to my future son-in-law after I got BF2. I have made him aware of the issue and need to re-boot occasionally.
Funny, I've never had that issue with my Modi Multibit, but got ready to listen one day with the Bifrost 2, and no sound at all. First I thought it was the amp, but after process of elimination determined it was the BF (which was the last thing I suspected). Rebooted, and everything back to normal. These things are just computers for the most part, so the need for an occasional reboot shouldn't come as a surprise.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #73,008 of 153,622
Hello, me from other country, love Schiit. What is Texas please? What is BBQ please? Do not understand why discuss in audio forum group.
Does it sound good like Schiit?
Love from other country (they do exist).
Think of NC BBQ as The Pancake House in Hengelo. :laughing:

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #73,009 of 153,622
OK. Are y'all sitting down? This is actually a Schiit related question. And yes, it's coming from me!! :astonished:

I'm about 99% sure about ordering a pair of Magnepan LRS speakers. The one thing that is making me a teeny bit hesitant is that it seems to be a bit finicky about amps preferring amps that deliver higher current . Is anyone out there running Ragnarok (original version) with LRS and willing to comment on their experience? The Ragnarok thread is pretty sparse as it relates to v1.

Thanks!!
Power shouldn't be an issue as long as the Ragnarok can handle the low impedance of around 3.3 ohms, and as long as you do not plan to fill a concert hall with them.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #73,010 of 153,622
Thanks.

It's a small 10'x12' room and I typically listen at 85db w/ the occasional 90db peaks. I never get any louder than that, really. I currently use ELAC Unifi UB5 stand mount speakers that are 4 ohm with a 3.4 minimum impedance. Ragnarok drives them fine, so I'm hoping -.1 ohms aren't a deal breaker. I was concerned with current since folks really seem to key in on that as a deal-breaker with 'maggies'.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #73,012 of 153,622

Thanks!!
Sounds a bit small of a room for Maggies. Don't they have to be 2-3 from any wall and further from each other?

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #73,013 of 153,622
Yes, that's a known issue with modi multibit, getting the ringing in one channel, that goes away after a reboot. Mine does that as well. Not sure if the later firmwares have fixed that issue. If it did, I would probably request one of those new firmware chips and install it.

I have an MM with the latest firmware. It still gets the ringing from time to time.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #73,015 of 153,622
They said that about Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits as well as Bob Dylan...but somehow all of them made it work.

Well, yeah, but covers tend be sung better. Don't get me wrong - I like smoky Islay whisky and smoky Lapsang Souchong tea, so sometimes I'm in the mood for a voice that has no range or sounds like a gravel truck crashing down a mountain side. But usually I'd rather hear Dylan's "All along the watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, or Cohen's "hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright, or Wait's " I don't want to grow up" by The Ramones.

Those three artists are fantastic songwriters, but they are vocal stylists, not really singers.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #73,016 of 153,622
Thanks.

It's a small 10'x12' room and I typically listen at 85db w/ the occasional 90db peaks. I never get any louder than that, really. I currently use ELAC Unifi UB5 stand mount speakers that are 4 ohm with a 3.4 minimum impedance. Ragnarok drives them fine, so I'm hoping -.1 ohms aren't a deal breaker. I was concerned with current since folks really seem to key in on that as a deal-breaker with 'maggies'.
Plenty I guess. See attached spl calc

Attachments

• 04658A41-5696-48E9-B4AF-4A37162443A3.jpeg
    04658A41-5696-48E9-B4AF-4A37162443A3.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #73,017 of 153,622
Thanks.

My listening room is about that size. I think you'll be fine. To get the most out of them I would recommend pulling them 4-5' away from the front wall.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #73,018 of 153,622
Sounds a bit small of a room for Maggies. Don't they have to be 2-3 from any wall and further from each other?
Supposedly the LRS (4' tall and 14.5" wide) lend themselves quite well to small rooms. My placement would put them at approx. 3 feet from the side and rear walls and approx. 6 feet apart with my listening position at approx. 6 feet from them forming an equilateral triangle. Given that the amp situation seems to be a non-issue, whether my room allows them to achieve a max benefit is only answered by trying them. The 60-day trail offered is my safety net. :D

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #73,019 of 153,622
Mar 10, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #73,020 of 153,622
Those three artists are fantastic songwriters, but they are vocal stylists, not really singers.
Says you. Lots of us feel differently. About what we want to listen to, where we want to live, what real bbq is.

What’s with all the absolutism and gatekeeping here lately? It would be nice if everyone chilled out, listened to something they like. Come back when there is something interesting to say that doesn’t crap on someone else.

forexample, what is the difference between a trombone player and a snake both lying dead in the middle of the road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back