Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 1, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #72,481 of 150,075
Yes, just like I said. But it is only meaningful with long or noisy cable runs, and then only theoretically. There are many "improvements" on paper that do not translate to "improvements" to the ear. :)
This is unrelated to what you said / wrote. Its a benefit of generating a balanced signal, and is not about the effect of interference in balanced cables.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #72,482 of 150,075
I'm sure folks would line-up and say 'if it ain't broke' about original BF, Modi, etc. Hell - even the Model T car. Where would we be if that was the only time folks introduced new products with new advancements? Besides, what makes one think Gungnir 2 would not be better? It's the circle of life. IIRC, it was stated before that Schiit will keep Yggy in play as long as they can to protect the investment made by folks that bought Yggy. AKAIK, no such thing has been stated about Gungnir.

A Gungnir 2 release ain't just about whether it's broke -- sales plays a big factor. I suspect that many, many folks that were contemplating Gungnir in the past are buying BF2 or passing over Gungnir and going to Yggy. If I had to guess (and it is a guess), Gungnir sales are lackluster in comparison to the other 2 and nowhere near what it used to be. I would much rather there be a new Gungnir than having it dropped from the line-up leaving nothing between BF2 and Yggy.

Anyhow -- what I have to say about it doesn't matter. I'm just speculating. The decision lies with Mike and Jason.
Very much agree with this.

Gungnir has received the fewest official upgrades and can't be bought in black. Would love to consider a Gungnir 2 Multibit which leaves zero doubt about the performance of its SE outputs/not being gimped versus Balanced.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #72,483 of 150,075
Oh. Man. Sure, a “better” Gumby refresh would be fine... but it’s so darn good already. I have the BF2, and good old Gumby beats it pants down. Maybe people consider Yggdrasil, but it cost so much more I don’t know how many who are considering Yggy can actually pay for it. Fine to refresh if there’s something better to do with it... but it’s SO good.

It's good to hear that a piece of gear doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. That it can still sound good, as long as it was a good design to begin with! :smile_phones:

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #72,484 of 150,075
Very much agree with this.

Gungnir has received the fewest official upgrades and can't be bought in black. Would love to consider a Gungnir 2 Multibit which leaves zero doubt about the performance of its SE outputs/not being gimped versus Balanced.
would I like an upgrade to my Gungnir that adds nexus to the analog side? Sure, but I'm not sure it's critical for me. Most likely they're going to upgrade it to the Freya style chassis because it's cheaper to produce. I prefer the old style U-shaped chassis though aesthetically. Matches the Mjolnir 1, Asgard2, and Valhalla 2 I've got hooked up to it.
Still at position 22 of 75 on the Unison upgrade queue....

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #72,485 of 150,075
This is unrelated to what you said / wrote. Its a benefit of generating a balanced signal, and is not about the effect of interference in balanced cables.
The only benefits from using balanced signal path are better noise rejection and higher signal voltage. Oh, and XLR connectors tend to be more robust than RCA or BNC. Anything else that users may believe is moot.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #72,486 of 150,075
I still have problems pushing the "buy" button on a Yiggy A2 because of the "known fact" that it is designed to work best from its XLR balanced outputs. If this has been said once, it has been said a thousand times. My NAIM Supernait 3 amp has RCA and DIN inputs only.
Uh.. you must read on the wrong forums.
It's not a known fact at all. Debated yes.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #72,487 of 150,075
In this day and age, we all know that "known facts" merely refers to ideas or opinions that like minded people agree with and like. Lies are opinions and ideas that you dont agree with....

Fact. Multibit sounds better the delta sigma...

Fact.
Silver schiit sounds brighter then Black schiit, which sounds darker.

Fact.
Im not saying real facts.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #72,488 of 150,075
In this day and age, we all know that "known facts" merely refers to ideas or opinions that like minded people agree with and like. Lies are opinions and ideas that you dont agree with....

Fact.

Fact.
Power buttons on the front tend to drag the stereo image in the opposite direction.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #72,489 of 150,075
The only benefits from using balanced signal path are better noise rejection and higher signal voltage. Oh, and XLR connectors tend to be more robust than RCA or BNC. Anything else that users may believe is moot.
I'd have to disagree. Some designs are inherently balanced and they benefit from staying that way. Some designs (take a good phono preamp - many of which are inherently unbalanced) are unbalanced and behave great in that manner. The Yggy A2is an inherently hardware balanced design and you'll gain the most audible benefit from keeping it that way and not going through the summer stage. Is it closer than Yggy A1? Yeah sure. I could tell a difference though.

The benefit of common mode rejection in balanced transmission is a clear benefit, but not the only benefit. If the inherent design topology is balanced then keeping it that way generally will benefit you. In addition, some downstream gear may work better taking in the balanced signal (e.g. not having to run through a phase splitter to go SE-BAL).
So, I think making absolute statements like that may mislead someone understand this incorrectly.

Edit: for the record I run a mostly fully balanced signal path from my PS DS DAC to my Jot2 and also to my SE tube amp. I run both SE and balanced out of the Jot 2. So, I'm all over the map. I enjoy them all.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #72,490 of 150,075

Fact.

Fact.
I think the fact that user kept it in quotes was an indicator that it wasn't a fact but, like they said, in many cases that was the held opinion. Be that this or other forums, published reviews, etc...

For the record, I used Yggy SE into a tube amp for years and it sounded absolutely fantastic.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #72,491 of 150,075
The benefit of common mode rejection in balanced transmission is a clear benefit, but not the only benefit. If the inherent design topology is balanced then keeping it that way generally will benefit you. In addition, some downstream gear may work better taking in the balanced signal
But that is simply not true. The advantage to a balanced audio signal path is noise rejection. EMI and RFI are rejected - and not 100% rejected, but noise cancellation is inherent to the design where it is not to an SE design. This is in fact the only sonic benefit. Any other potential benefits are electrical due to higher signal voltage and physical (due to more robust connectors and cables) and of course psychological.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #72,492 of 150,075
But that is simply not true. The advantage to a balanced audio signal path is noise rejection. EMI and RFI are rejected - and not 100% rejected, but noise cancellation is inherent to the design where it is not to an SE design. This is in fact the only sonic benefit. Any other potential benefits are electrical due to higher signal voltage and physical (due to more robust connectors and cables) and of course psychological.
Ok I’ll just take my electrical engineering degrees and go elsewhere. This is why I kept away from this site for a good long while. I’m leaving. Peace

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #72,493 of 150,075
Ok I’ll just take my electrical engineering degrees and go elsewhere. This is why I kept away from this site for a good long while. I’m leaving. Peace
? OK, suit yourself. But my EE degree would love to know what yours thinks is inherent to the design that I am missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back