Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 1, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #72,511 of 151,431
Mar 1, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #72,512 of 151,431
But it is only meaningful with long or noisy cable runs, and then only theoretically.
More pragmatically, balanced is more resistant to picking up stray fields from nearby power cables & like. Not a trivial advantage in cluttered setups.

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #72,513 of 151,431
More pragmatically, balanced is more resistant to picking up stray fields from nearby power cables & like. Not a trivial advantage in cluttered setups.
Haven't tried to figure out the source - considering it was across the open floor I doubt power cables - but a ~25' RCA cable from the Asgard to Freya S had hum, checked if it was the cable picking something up by having the cable unplugged from the source - hummed (I really need to teach it the words), RCA not in the Freya - 100% volume in max gain with no audible hum. And that was before I moved next to a cell tower (doubt the cell tower frequencies are in the audible spectrum). I like balanced in case I decide to move inside a microwave equivalent, seems to help reject hum better than RCA.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #72,514 of 151,431
But....knowing that it was directed by David Lynch, then all is forgiven. A Lynchian film is meant to be enjoyed with your brain's orientation rotated off-axis.
After last week's discussion about the David Lynch Dune, I watched it again this weekend. It's a mess if you haven't read the book. Too many things presented without explanation for those who haven't. I may not have been in the right frame of mind, but the music really grated on me this time around, too. I know it would be kind of a marathon for today's movie public, but Dune really needs to be three hours or even a bit more. All my opinion, obviously.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #72,515 of 151,431
Haven't tried to figure out the source - considering it was across the open floor I doubt power cables - but a ~25' RCA cable from the Asgard to Freya S had hum, checked if it was the cable picking something up by having the cable unplugged from the source - hummed (I really need to teach it the words), RCA not in the Freya - 100% volume in max gain with no audible hum. And that was before I moved next to a cell tower (doubt the cell tower frequencies are in the audible spectrum). I like balanced in case I decide to move inside a microwave equivalent, seems to help reject hum better than RCA.
A 25' unbalanced run is prolly sketchy, but as @AudioGal pointed out earlier, proper grounding is key to any good install. Years ago, I helped a friend living adjacent to an FM transmitter deal with interference, all transmitters have *some* AM component; balanced runs in this case are ideal - but again *only* if properly grounded....

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #72,516 of 151,431
After last week's discussion about the David Lynch Dune, I watched it again this weekend. It's a mess if you haven't read the book. Too many things presented without explanation for those who haven't. I may not have been in the right frame of mind, but the music really grated on me this time around, too. I know it would be kind of a marathon for today's movie public, but Dune really needs to be three hours or even a bit more. All my opinion, obviously.
I could see that, or try the HBO Game of Thrones route, or the multi-movie route that Lord of the Rings went. I doubt there is a large enough audience for the second, and not enough skin for the first.
A 25' unbalanced run is prolly sketchy, but as @AudioGal pointed out earlier, proper grounding is key to any good install. Years ago, I helped a friend living adjacent to an FM transmitter deal with interference, all transmitters have *some* AM component; balanced runs in this case are ideal - but again *only* if properly grounded....
Does it help or hurt that the components were on different outlets (same circuit) each with a UPS devices (APC something or other with in-line batteries for "no interruption" power protection). Currently anticipating a standalone DAC to simplify the setup.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #72,517 of 151,431
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #72,518 of 151,431
I could see that, or try the HBO Game of Thrones route, or the multi-movie route that Lord of the Rings went. I doubt there is a large enough audience for the second, and not enough skin for the first.

Does it help or hurt that the components were on different outlets (same circuit) each with a UPS devices (APC something or other with in-line batteries for "no interruption" power protection). Currently anticipating a standalone DAC to simplify the setup.
Agreed, @filthy mechanical, Dune isn't long enough to be split into three overly long movies like Jackson did with The Hobbit. I still really enjoy TLoR, but I really dislike The Hobbit. I think the only way a GoT model would work is if the producers tried to capture at least the first three books. Messiah and Children seem to be pretty divisive, so I think much of the audience for the episodes covering the original would walk away when Messiah started.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #72,519 of 151,431

Hmmm - good question - probably not. All consumer, or even most managed UPS offer a common and direct connection to ground. Of course, the answer in your situation would be bypass the UPS's

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #72,520 of 151,431
I'm sure folks would line-up and say 'if it ain't broke' about original BF, Modi, etc. Hell - even the Model T car. Where would we be if that was the only time folks introduced new products with new advancements? Besides, what makes one think Gungnir 2 would not be better? It's the circle of life. IIRC, it was stated before that Schiit will keep Yggy in play as long as they can to protect the investment made by folks that bought Yggy. AKAIK, no such thing has been stated about Gungnir.

A Gungnir 2 release ain't just about whether it's broke -- sales plays a big factor. I suspect that many, many folks that were contemplating Gungnir in the past are buying BF2 or passing over Gungnir and going to Yggy. If I had to guess (and it is a guess), Gungnir sales are lackluster in comparison to the other 2 and nowhere near what it used to be. I would much rather there be a new Gungnir than having it dropped from the line-up leaving nothing between BF2 and Yggy.

Anyhow -- what I have to say about it doesn't matter. I'm just speculating. The decision lies with Mike and Jason.

I object!!! Your honor, this is pure hear-say and speculation. I demand that it be stricken from the record!!

BTW -- I checked the Internet Archive and it seems that Gungnir is a wee bit older than 7 minutes.

I don't recall ever saying it sounded bad. Sales and how it sounds is not a guarantee of its continued presence as-is. Original BF Multibit sounded pretty good, too, if I recall. And I suspect it also sold pretty well. I'm sure Mike is chomping at the bit to do some amazing things w/ a DAC at the Gumby price-point!! :D

This horse is dead and I shall cease beating it.
@Ripper2860, I bought my Bifrost I multi-bit as a way to dip my toe into the multi-bit world. It sounded so much better than the DACs and output stages in my DAPs (previously feeding my Mjolnir I) I almost immediately started dreaming about what more goodness lay nearer the summit with the Gugnir multi-bit or the Yggdrasil GS (I don't want to afford the Yggdrasil).

And there lies my analysis paralysis troubles. The Gugnir multi-bit costs almost as much as the Yggdrasil GS, and I'm not confident the benefits of the A2 board would be important to me for how I'd use the DAC: 100% headphone listening. I'm not sensitive to imaging when listening to head phones. At least not enough that I chase state of the art imaging in my head phone gear. So it makes me wonder, as long as the Yggdrasil GS is available, why I'd buy a Gugnir multi-bit.

But then, I'm nowhere near pulling the trigger on either, so there's that.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #72,521 of 151,431
Well, schiit, that got deeper than V=IR. My ME degree burst into flames and I started crying.
I have given up trying to understand some of the electrical stuff at work - I understand 2500A x 3 doesn't work on a 5kA conductor, but MVA vs MW, the whole single line cascading for fail-over transformers and gensets, VVVF vs VFD when everyone seems to use them interchangeably (but inverter duty motors to prevent electrical fretting of bearings I'm okay with), shifting the phase to steer a DC arc (learned you can steer a DC arc, who knew?), Siemens vs Allen Bradley vs GE PLCs, etc - fuggedaboudit.

Give me my messy mechanical stuff - crane approaches and the effect on wheel loadings, water quality (although some of that is silly) and circuit layouts, pump sizing and clarifier lengths, conveying pyrophoric rocks, drive shafts, etc - that isn't bad.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #72,522 of 151,431
I have given up trying to understand some of the electrical stuff at work - I understand 2500A x 3 doesn't work on a 5kA conductor, but MVA vs MW, the whole single line cascading for fail-over transformers and gensets, VVVF vs VFD when everyone seems to use them interchangeably (but inverter duty motors to prevent electrical fretting of bearings I'm okay with), shifting the phase to steer a DC arc (learned you can steer a DC arc, who knew?), Siemens vs Allen Bradley vs GE PLCs, etc - fuggedaboudit.

Give me my messy mechanical stuff - crane approaches and the effect on wheel loadings, water quality (although some of that is silly) and circuit layouts, pump sizing and clarifier lengths, conveying pyrophoric rocks, drive shafts, etc - that isn't bad.
Pyrophorics keep you on your toes. I've never had to deal with rocks, but gasses and slurries in a previous life. The liquid "carrier" of the slurry was a flammable hydrocarbon solvent. Who thought THAT up?

And to think, I didn't have any Schiit at the house to help me recover from a day of imminent immolation. Only barbeque. Thank goodness it was from TX, not NC. Immolation would have been preferable to NC BBQ. I'd have walked toward the flaming light...

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #72,523 of 151,431
How about a BF2 versus Yiggy comparison? SE only. Two channel speaker setup.
I had to yank the BF2 from the bedroom setup but spent the day listening using the SE outs through the Freya S and Vidar. With the universal caveat that listening is so individually subjective, here’s my impression: Both are wonderful DACs but I have to say there is no beating Yggy. The biggest difference is the width and breadth of the soundstage, better three-dimensional imaging of the instruments, subtlety of attack and decay. The Bifrost had a more forward presentation.

Is Yggdrasil worth the price difference? Could I quantify it to be $1,750 better? I think such comparisons are impossible to do. That said, Yggdrasil is better, whether you use SE or balanced, and by the end of the day I missed it. All that said, I still find it remarkable that BF2 is so good at the price, and in a remarkably compact size. Yggy is large and that always has to be a consideration, though for two channel setups that’s usually not as much of an issue.

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #72,524 of 151,431
Any other potential benefits are electrical due to higher signal voltage and physical (due to more robust connectors and cables) and of course psychological.

For some people the psychological benefits might well be worth the cost of balanced/differential equipment on their own. I know I am among them. When trying to maximize my enjoyment, does it really matter if it’s all in my head or not?

Granted, when designing equipment or talking about the science behind sound reproduction, psychological doesn’t come into it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #72,525 of 151,431
I'd have to disagree. Some designs are inherently balanced and they benefit from staying that way. Some designs (take a good phono preamp - many of which are inherently unbalanced) are unbalanced and behave great in that manner. The Yggy A2is an inherently hardware balanced design and you'll gain the most audible benefit from keeping it that way and not going through the summer stage. Is it closer than Yggy A1? Yeah sure. I could tell a difference though.

The benefit of common mode rejection in balanced transmission is a clear benefit, but not the only benefit. If the inherent design topology is balanced then keeping it that way generally will benefit you. In addition, some downstream gear may work better taking in the balanced signal (e.g. not having to run through a phase splitter to go SE-BAL).
So, I think making absolute statements like that may mislead someone understand this incorrectly.

Edit: for the record I run a mostly fully balanced signal path from my PS DS DAC to my Jot2 and also to my SE tube amp. I run both SE and balanced out of the Jot 2. So, I'm all over the map. I enjoy them all.

For that reason (one of my previous 2-channel set-ups) I used to my Wadia 830 CD player (a balanced design) balanced to my Chord Electronics SPM 1200B power amp (also a balanced design).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back