Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #72,436 of 150,071
After a quick search decide to ask a newbie question - Just got the Drop/Hifiman HE5XX today - love the sound, but on my Asgard 3 in low gain mode, depending on the recording, have to turn it up sometimes past 3 to get a nice listening level. Given the stated impedance, 18 Ohms, it does sound like they indeed should be run in low gain mode - however it does feel like it it would benefit from running in high gain - however, don't know enough if the high gain mode in the Asgard 3 would damage the headphone - Any thoughts?

I really appreciate your kind help

v
Not a sensitive headphone, 93db. Hence high gain is fine

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #72,437 of 150,071
I've been re-arranging my set up to incorporate Freya + these past few weeks. I love it. It's great that it has 2 XLR and 3 RCA inputs and 1 XLR and 2 RCA outputs so you have lots of options in how you wire things together. However, I really wish it had 2 XLR outputs. I would like to be able to run balanced XLR to both my Mjolnir 2 headphone amp and to my power amps / powered monitors. Since that isn't an option, I'm forced to prioritize either my speaker output or my headphone output. Also the power output is kind of nerfed single-ended for the Mjolnir (2W into 32 ohms as per the FAQ) which doesn't go great with my high impedance Sennheiser HD 800S. How many watts is that for my 300 ohms HD 800S?

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #72,438 of 150,071
I've been re-arranging my set up to incorporate Freya + these past few weeks. I love it. It's great that it has 2 XLR and 3 RCA inputs and 1 XLR and 2 RCA outputs so you have lots of options in how you wire things together. However, I really wish it had 2 XLR outputs. I would like to be able to run balanced XLR to both my Mjolnir 2 headphone amp and to my power amps / powered monitors. Since that isn't an option, I'm forced to prioritize either my speaker output or my headphone output. Also the power output is kind of nerfed single-ended for the Mjolnir (2W into 32 ohms as per the FAQ) which doesn't go great with my high impedance Sennheiser HD 800S. How many watts is that for my 300 ohms HD 800S?
Mjolnir SE out should deliver a bit over 210mW into 300 ohms (assuming that 2W into 32 ohms spec is max output voltage limited).

As MJ2 has high impedance inputs, you could get some XLR Y splitters (with Neutrik connectors) to run both the MJ2 and your power amps / powered speakers off the Freya+ Balanced outputs.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #72,439 of 150,071
Mjolnir SE out should deliver a bit over 210mW into 300 ohms (assuming that 2W into 32 ohms spec is max output voltage limited).

As MJ2 has high impedance inputs, you could get some XLR Y splitters (with Neutrik connectors) to run both the MJ2 and your power amps / powered speakers off the Freya+ Balanced outputs.

Thank you very much for the Y splitter idea. I will definitely give that a try!

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #72,440 of 150,071
I still have problems pushing the "buy" button on a Yiggy A2 because of the "known fact" that it is designed to work best from its XLR balanced outputs. If this has been said once, it has been said a thousand times. My NAIM Supernait 3 amp has RCA and DIN inputs only.

Is it so much to ask for Schiit to make a "super duper", more compact version of Yiggy but with RCA/SE outputs only? Think of a $1700 Chord Qutest competitor:
  • A Yiggy A2+ (maybe even a better DAC implementation than Yiggy)
  • RCA/SE outputs only (the best SE output Schiit can muster)
  • Smaller form factor: somewhere between BF2 and Gungnir in size. Maybe the height of Yiggy but the width of Bifrost?
  • Unison and Autonomy
  • Silver and Black case options
  • $1700-$1800 USD
Then:
  • Get rid of Yiggy GS.
  • Get rid of Gungnir Multibit? I mean the thing still is NOT EVEN available in black like everything else! It has felt like an end-of-life product for a while!

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #72,441 of 150,071
I still have problems pushing the "buy" button on a Yiggy A2 because of the "known fact" that it is designed to work best from its XLR balanced outputs. If this has been said once, it has been said a thousand times. My NAIM Supernait 3 amp has RCA and DIN inputs only.

Is it so much to ask for Schiit to make a "super duper", more compact version of Yiggy but with RCA/SE outputs only? Think of a $1700 Chord Qutest competitor:
  • Smaller form factor: somewhere between BF2 and Gungnir in size. Maybe the height of Yiggy but the width of Bifrost?
  • Unison and Autonomy
  • $1700-$1800 USD
Then:
  • Get rid of Yiggy GS.
  • Get rid of Gungnir Multibit? I mean the thing still is NOT EVEN available in black like everything else! It has felt like an end-of-life product for a while!
Yaaasss. I'd like to see a big brother to the Bifrost 2. Same concept. "Cheap balanced" so SE and Balanced are closer and using 2 versus 4 of the Yggy's chips. Gungnir case (if possible) and available in multiple colors. I love the Bifrost 2 so much that something like it but moar better would be a nice fit in the line. An uber Yggy 2 eventually as well would be nice.

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #72,442 of 150,071
"Known fact"? You mean "internet forum opinion"?

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #72,443 of 150,071
"Known fact"? You mean "internet forum opinion"?

I mean repeated 1000 times buy 1000 users on multiple forums. Sure.

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #72,444 of 150,071

• Unison and Autonomy
  • $1700-$1800 USD
Then:
  • Get rid of Yiggy GS.
I can't think of any good reason why it should be SE only. None.

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #72,445 of 150,071
I mean repeated 1000 times buy 1000 users on multiple forums. Sure.
I have used the RCA line outs from my Yggdrasil in my 2-channel system and it sounds great. YMMV.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #72,446 of 150,071
I have used the RCA line outs from my Yggdrasil in my 2-channel system and it sounds great. YMMV.
I think the point was more that it was explicitly designed to work best with balanced. Both are great. Being an inherently hardware balanced output, it’s performance is better out of the xlr versus going through the fet summer stage for SE output. I have used both and they’re both great. But, the balanced is measurably and audibly better. How much depends on your system and your ears. They make a valid point.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #72,447 of 150,071
Hmmm... I wonder if Nexus technology can be adapted to a DAC? :thinking:

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #72,448 of 150,071
The Yggdrasil's XLR do sound better to me. I use both to different amps and have tried RCA and XLR with all my amps. That being said, the RCA are still VERY good. However with a balanced DAC design I would suspect the XLR will always be better. Of course as mentioned above maybe something like Nexus solves that.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #72,449 of 150,071
With the original analog board, I could hear a difference that was not just level difference between the XLR and RCA outputs. With the A2 analog board, the SQ difference is much less, to the point of being insignificant IMO.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #72,450 of 150,071
Hmmm... I wonder if Nexus technology can be adapted to a DAC? :thinking:
i do have some ideas on improvements ???? to DAC output stages using some of the technology used in their newer amplifier offerings, but likely Jason & co. have already tried these (or are under development). rolling design / circuit tuning changes to keep up with semiconductor manufacturer's process changes / adequate component availability under COVID isn't easy.

Nexus was designed as a gain stage, while the present DAC chips on Yggy are voltage out and just need buffering / summing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back