Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #72,421 of 149,305
After a quick search decide to ask a newbie question - Just got the Drop/Hifiman HE5XX today - love the sound, but on my Asgard 3 in low gain mode, depending on the recording, have to turn it up sometimes past 3 to get a nice listening level. Given the stated impedance, 18 Ohms, it does sound like they indeed should be run in low gain mode - however it does feel like it it would benefit from running in high gain - however, don't know enough if the high gain mode in the Asgard 3 would damage the headphone - Any thoughts?

I really appreciate your kind help

v

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #72,423 of 149,305
After a quick search decide to ask a newbie question - Just got the Drop/Hifiman HE5XX today - love the sound, but on my Asgard 3 in low gain mode, depending on the recording, have to turn it up sometimes past 3 to get a nice listening level. Given the stated impedance, 18 Ohms, it does sound like they indeed should be run in low gain mode - however it does feel like it it would benefit from running in high gain - however, don't know enough if the high gain mode in the Asgard 3 would damage the headphone - Any thoughts?

v

The Low Gain setting gives you a greater range on the volume control, which I like. It prevents channel imbalances when listening at low levels. I run my Drop HE-400i's in Low Gain, and like the wide volume range. But, no reason you can't run in High Gain, to achieve a faster volume ramp up.

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #72,424 of 149,305
Back in December I broached the idea of running 2 pairs of speakers in series with my pair of Vidars. My ADS 810s are 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms min, and the Vidars ran pretty hot playing them at volume (despite their 94dB sensitivity, or perhaps, because of it?). I also have a pair of ADS 620s (original owner), also 6/4 ohms, which I had run very briefly with a separate stereo amp (single Vidar for the 810s, Mac MC2100 for the 620s), but hadn't tried them in series since acquiring my 2nd Vidar. Recently I got some updated drivers and got the 620s out of storage, and gave it a try. Had to take the 810s off of their lovely custom-made stands, set them on the floor, and stacked them with the 620s upside down. So far I am VERY pleased with the results! My goal of big bass response was achieved (tight but BIG, with acoustic drums sounding big and round), but what surprised me was how much the mids and highs opened up. Both a wider and taller soundstage, very pleasing. Oh, and I've found during inital tests at volume, the Vidars are running much cooler. They like the increased impedance?

That looks awesome! I used to stack ADS L570s. It always sounded great. Also, I'm glad that series wiring scheme helped ease the load on the Vidars. Though, it makes me realize that mono Vidars wouldn't like my AR90s any better. Maybe I can find another pair of 90s and stack them! They'd look like Dunlavy's!

Oh, just curious, have you tried the 810s on top with the 620s on bottom? Putting the 620's 10" woofer to the floor/back wall position, could provide deeper and louder bass impact. Plus, that should raise the 810 mid tweeter closer to ear level, opening up the midrange even more.

Thanks for sharing! :grinning:

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #72,425 of 149,305
Oh, just curious, have you tried the 810s on top with the 620s on bottom? Putting the 620's 10" woofer to the floor/back wall position, could provide deeper and louder bass impact. Plus, that should raise the 810 mid tweeter closer to ear level, opening up the midrange even more.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did consider that, but given that the 810s are 21kg and the 620s are 18kg, and I live in "earthquake country", I went with the lower center of gravity. But I will do an A/B at some point, perhaps when I can get my listening buddy over for a "session". As it is, I currently spend more time reading about gear and music than actually listening, since the quarantine has limited my time alone in the house considerably.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #72,426 of 149,305
Use the high gain setting.

JC

The Low Gain setting gives you a greater range on the volume control, which I like. It prevents channel imbalances when listening at low levels. I run my Drop HE-400i's in Low Gain, and like the wide volume range. But, no reason you can't run in High Gain, to achieve a faster volume ramp up.

Ah - thanks so much! appreciate the help

v

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #72,427 of 149,305

v
Most Schiits amps sound better in high gain.
No risk for your headphones :)

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #72,428 of 149,305

v

Safe to run in either the low or high gain modes. Low vs high gain changes the amount of feedback in the amplifier and therefore the sound changes a bit between low vs high for the same volume level at the headphone drivers / ear. To my ears (volume matched) -- a bit more forward and dynamic in high gain, more recessed and laid back in low gain. Having it cranked to max in high gain might damage some headphones (depends on their individual design) and / or your hearing. Perfectly safe to run high gain with reasonable volume settings (not too loud at the ears). I typically run my A3 in high gain (except for some bright recordings where the low gain is less strident)

From the specs I could find 18 ohms and 93.5 dB/mW which is pretty efficient for a planar. Being new, they will need some time to fully break-in (bass / mids typically open up a bit).

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #72,429 of 149,305
Most Schiits amps sound better in high gain.
No risk for your headphones :)

Safe to run in either the low or high gain modes. Low vs high gain changes the amount of feedback in the amplifier and therefore the sound changes a bit between low vs high for the same volume level at the headphone drivers / ear. To my ears (volume matched) -- a bit more forward and dynamic in high gain, more recessed and laid back in low gain. Having it cranked to max in high gain might damage some headphones (depends on their individual design) and / or your hearing. Perfectly safe to run high gain with reasonable volume settings (not too loud at the ears). I typically run my A3 in high gain (except for some bright recordings where the low gain is less strident)

From the specs I could find 18 ohms and 93.5 dB/mW which is pretty efficient for a planar. Being new, they will need some time to fully break-in (bass / mids typically open up a bit).

Thanks to everyone who has replied - thanks for the education and hand holding - If anyone else have more insights, please keep them coming - it helps with the OCD/Anxiety! :D

So far, liking the headphones - no complains on the bass, which was the main worry - is definitely there - I am a semi-basshead want bass but not exaggerated and so far this cans seem to hit the spot are they are. If it becomes a bit better with wear, it doesn't sound like it will still be too much... so far, so good!

Thanks again.

v

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #72,430 of 149,305

Interesting. The Gain switch is broken on my Lyr 2. It only works in the Low Gain position. My Lyr 2 was an eBay purchase, and the previous owner saw fit to pack the amp backside down, in the box, with no packing. So, the switch broke in transit. Maybe I need to send it to Schiit for repair? Especially if I might hear an improvement in sound.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #72,431 of 149,305
So. Yeah. I'm an idiot. Maybe I need to do a bit more of this marketing-stuff.
Can you imagine, with all the problems you had this year, you add in Zx demand and a spotlight from a national media blitz? I've been telling you to make a documeantary during this move, just film it as much as you can. It's a story of an American company fighting imports and regulation and growing during covid ... it's a great story.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #72,432 of 149,305
He's looking for digital output, not a DAC.
See judson_w's post. I also suggest Pi2AES.
@wgallupe i second the Pi2AES enthusiastically. The AES is amazing if you happen to get an Yggy. I use BNC into my Gumby. Yum.
If space and cost isn’t a concern, I wouldn’t worry about “long in the tooth”, the Mjolnir 2 still is a great designed amp (tube gain, circlotron-topology, MOSFET output). I’d love one myself but would need a separate table as it wouldn’t fit on my desk (or maybe some way to mount it under my desk hmm...)
I bought a separate “telephone table” for $30 from Amazon, which now holds my “desktop” rig including Pi2AES/Gumby/Mjolnir2, and which makes it easier to listen in the easy chair on the other side. Totally worthwhile upgrade.

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #72,434 of 149,305

v
They are indeed low impedance, but they're planars and therefore require power... High Gain. The low impedance doesn't mean they're easy to drive. They REALLY come alive with power... Enjoy!

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #72,435 of 149,305
Ok, despite the ridiculous FedEx price increase I ordered my Jotunheim 2 yesterday (with MB card, no DS for me until I get bankrupt). The wait has started. First 7-10 days before it gets shipped. Not sure why that takes minimum 7 days for a product that's in stock. But maybe it's in stock in Texas, and of course all those tables have to be assembled first. Just joking. There will be a good reason, I don't complain. And I am sure the shipping delays will exceed those 10 days.

It's just that the Jotunheim 1 didn't survive the trip from KSA to UAE (it must have been too loose in my suitcase, the on/off switch is broken), and my speaker set is in storage somewhere. So until I get that back and set up, and/or the Jotunheim 2 arrives, it is either my DragonFly Red with Oppo PM-3, or JBL Flip 5 (seriously).
I ordered the Jotunheim on 25 February. Stated as being in stock, ships in 7 - 10 days.

Which means "we have all the parts, but we're having a hard time keeping up with demand."

Jotunheim 2 is still listed as being "in stock, ships in 7 - 10 days". Apparently, the situation is not exactly that anymore, as the order confirmation I received states: "Order Status: Amp Multi Backorder, ships March 25th".

I don't know exactly what MULTI backorder means. I assume several parts are on backorder.

So folks wanting a Jotunheim, be prepared for a little bit longer wait (a month instead of 10 days). Still worth the wait I am convinced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back