Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 26, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #72,407 of 151,233
Alright alright alright. Just took my Jot2 out of the with initially some amazing impressions through my 6XX but I have started to notice and now it's blatantly obvious that I have USB noise issues through my Fulla2 that I'm using as a dac...... :frowning2: I thought I could swing the Fulla2 while I save up for a Bifrost of Gungir. I'm starting to think i should have got the MB dac card and just used a single box solution for the time being.

Amazon shows a Grace Drop Balanced DAC for free 1 day delivery so I could have a new dac in my hands by tomorrow. I know this is a schiit thread full of schiit lovers, but can anyone offer me some purchase advice? Is an integrated DAC card be it D/S or MB from Schiit better than getting a balanced Grace DAC for 160 bucks. Anyway, super impressed with the Jot2 so far just need to solve this issues to fully enjoy it. :/
if the noise is a buzz/ hum / hiss /schraaa / kwaak-kwaak that is continuous with no music playing) it might be related to common mode grounding noise (presumably the digital source is a desktop or tower PC). some users have been able to address this situation (each situation is different, YMMV etc...) using a Modius DAC with XLR balanced out to Jot 2 (and maybe running balance-connected headphones too)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #72,409 of 151,233
... Otherwise, how can they justify it?
I'm guessing their justification is that it's the actual shipping cost. I'm not aware Schiit is in the shipping business.

Don't like it? Make the shippers offer a reduced rate for your corner of the world.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #72,410 of 151,233
if the DWMs are added via a third Vidar in stereo mode (SE RCA input) the DWM output levels will be 6dB lower than the 1.7i's driven from the Vidars running in monoblock mode with the balanced XLR input.

try running with just two Vidars in stereo mode, via SE inputs, and each Vidar output "channel" (4 total) driving either an 1.7i or DWM.
Thanks, important point. Doesn’t this apply then to *any* amp used for the DWMs and further require that the choice of a separate amp be driven by a need to closely match the output of the Mono Vidars in order to avoid this?

Certainly the dual stereo approach will be my first port of call!

Thx

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #72,413 of 151,233
Shirley the Weirding Module would be the Gadget.

Man, I've been keeping a space on my rack empty for the Gadget since early 2020.
Still rocking the empty podium, loving every minute of it. You can only get me more drunk on anticipation.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #72,414 of 151,233
Feb 27, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #72,415 of 151,233
12 ohms > 8 ohms so the amp would power them. Please understand I am not saying it is a good idea acoustically, just that you could do it if you choose.
Back in December I broached the idea of running 2 pairs of speakers in series with my pair of Vidars. My ADS 810s are 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms min, and the Vidars ran pretty hot playing them at volume (despite their 94dB sensitivity, or perhaps, because of it?). I also have a pair of ADS 620s (original owner), also 6/4 ohms, which I had run very briefly with a separate stereo amp (single Vidar for the 810s, Mac MC2100 for the 620s), but hadn't tried them in series since acquiring my 2nd Vidar. Recently I got some updated drivers and got the 620s out of storage, and gave it a try. Had to take the 810s off of their lovely custom-made stands, set them on the floor, and stacked them with the 620s upside down. So far I am VERY pleased with the results! My goal of big bass response was achieved (tight but BIG, with acoustic drums sounding big and round), but what surprised me was how much the mids and highs opened up. Both a wider and taller soundstage, very pleasing. Oh, and I've found during inital tests at volume, the Vidars are running much cooler. They like the increased impedance?

Attachments

• ADS-stack.jpg
    ADS-stack.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 27, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #72,416 of 151,233
I’ve re-read Azimov’s Foundation Trilogy a number of times—most recently the parallels between the arrival of “the mutant” and the political turmoil of the last four years in the US were just astounding —now I’m going to have to re-read Dune!

I wonder what Dune parallels will happen in the world this time

Maybe we will see spice overtaking the world of BBQ?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #72,417 of 151,233
If space and cost isn’t a concern, I wouldn’t worry about “long in the tooth”, the Mjolnir 2 still is a great designed amp (tube gain, circlotron-topology, MOSFET output). I’d love one myself but would need a separate table as it wouldn’t fit on my desk (or maybe some way to mount it under my desk hmm...)

I've have a Mjolnir 2 paired with a Gungnir MB for the last 5 years and I love it. If I were to buy from scratch I would probably look at the Jot 2 since it puts out more power and takes up less space. Aside from the tubes, what does the Mjolnir 2 do better than the Jot 2 or are there tangible sonic differences that make one better than the other?

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #72,418 of 151,233
I haven't seen or read Dune (both are on my list of things to watch and read, but it's hard to find copies here), but I did see the documentary about the Dune movie that never was - Jodorowsky's Dune (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/). Absolutely nuts in the best kind of way. Also, having seen Jodorowsky's movie The Holy Mountain, I can only imagine how messed up that would have been. David Lynch's movies are of an acquired taste, but Jodorowsky seems to be at another level still.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #72,419 of 151,233
I read all the original Dune books plus a bunch of the later ones by Frank Herbert's son. Watched the movie, the TV miniseries for the first book, and the TV miniseries made from the 2nd and 3rd book. Played the video games. Definitely looking forward to the new movie.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #72,420 of 151,233
If Spotify saw something advantageous for themselves or their huge customer base by integrating into Roon, maybe they'd do so. But I fail to see any advantage for them.

On the other hand, I think there's a greater chance that Amazon would acquire Roon outright and develop the service to sell more streaming content, and facilitate Prime purchases of music in soft and hard formats by becoming for all intents and purposes an Amazon portal. All of which Amazon can profit from, not least by elbowing out their competition, including Spotify and Apple.

Just think. Amazon would sell you streaming content. CDs. Digital files. The CD players for the CDs. The server appliances for digital music file collections. The audio hardware it's played through. And they'd develop enormous clout with music publishers and artists, and would be in a position to drive the direction of the market towards content they distribute or even produce. Sort of the same playbook as with Kindle, or Prime Video. Amazon has disrupted and become a very powerful gatekeeper for both book and video content, despite established competitors in those market areas. I'm not an Amazon fanboy to say the least, but their impact can't be ignored.

Roon is small fry, so don't see the FTC raising a stink if they made that move.
In few years when they're older, I'll sit my grand niece and nephew down and tell them...

"Once upon a time, there was a savior of the people* who was called Anti-Trust. Anti-Trust broke up monopolies..."
"Uncle Steve, we're too old for fairy tales!"

Quote, source I cannot find. Tom Lehrer? "he reason folk music is so bad is it written by the people."
Italics were not added by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back