Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 26, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #72,391 of 149,294
I can recommend the Argon 40 case - it's still affordable but it moves all the connections to the back and has an on/off switch. It succeeds in looking like a "real" stereo component.

$25

There's also a version with room for an SSD drive if you want local storage.

https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-v-2-case-for-raspberry-pi-5.html

Edit: you can still add a HAT' but it won't be enclosed. I find the Raspberry Pi 4 sounds fine without a HAT into my Eitr - I'm sure it would be great with Unison. As always, YMMV, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything going this route.
do you have any pics of the inside of the Argon 40 and the rear connector wiring harnesses?

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #72,392 of 149,294
And get ready for the movie coming out Soon™️.

A re-read I hope? I try to cycle it through every 5 years or so... Refresher for the movie is due.
Anyone a fan of the SciFi miniseries?
@filthy mechanical and @artur9: I've seen both the DeLaurentis movie and the BBC mini-series. The movie, as was said in later posts, has a messy plot which misses much of the detail of Herbert's book. It is visually good, though. And it has the quote, "We have worm sign the likes of which God has never seen!". The mini-series is a little dull, both visually and the acting (I don't generally like William Hurt), but since it's much longer, sticks with the book's plot much better.

I hope the new movie is better than both previous efforts.

I tried reading further in the Dune series, but the stories and ideas just kept getting progressively weirder and harder to fathom. I've considered trying them again, though.

You mean Tremors? That terrible movie series?
Tremors is hilarious. One of my and my son's favorite cheesy movies. "Yeah, Earl, we all knew. We just didn't tell you." "I brought you these bullets. And some cheese." And who wouldn't like Mr. Keaton as a redneck prepper with a gun vault?

I didn't bother with the sequels. There was nothing to add.

So when Schiit releases their new "Weirding Module", what will it do? Enquiring minds want to know...
I think we've just seen a hint at a shift in product naming convention. Instead of Norse mythology, we'll now have Dune names. The Weirding Module is the new name for Loki-est/ Loki Max.

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #72,393 of 149,294
Nah, I think @Jason Stoddard wants a new avatar and new username. Muad'dib?

If you haven't read Dune, you absolutely should if you like science fiction. Maybe even if you don't like science fiction, but like political intrigues.

they should build something like the Thumper for trade shows, but power it from a Vidar (or the newer amp)

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #72,395 of 149,294
If you haven't read Dune, you absolutely should if you like science fiction. Maybe even if you don't like science fiction, but like political intrigues.
I read Dune, while still in high school. I had just bought the book, and was home sick. I started reading it, got so engrossed, that I finished it in one sitting. Still one of my favorites.

Feb 26, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #72,397 of 149,294
Hmm.

I just noticed.

There is now a little green badge on the bottom of my avatar to indicate I am "online now", and on the avatar of some others. Did I miss that before, or is it a recent change?

a recent change

JC

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #72,399 of 149,294
do you have any pics of the inside of the Argon 40 and the rear connector wiring harnesses

First image unit in operation.

89A7E0C9-C741-42DB-8A52-0EB740AEC8D8.jpeg

Second image case with magnetic door over HAT connector removed.

EE69D997-8A07-438F-BD60-6758C8045BFB.jpeg

Third image all connections and power switch on back.

B669B35B-5001-43BA-BF88-61DF064CCA4E.jpeg

Fourth image you can see the bottom taken off.

243CBD2D-E26D-4B5F-BC85-6DFA7FEC5122.jpeg
(Sorry, don't know why the pic arbitrarily uploaded rotated.)

Fifth image you can better see the adapter PCB that routes everything to the back, rotates the HAT connector, and adds a cooling can and the power button.

FA2D00F7-6279-4BDD-98E3-64C2423978A7.jpeg

This is version 1 of the case - v2 now on sale incorporates full-sized HDMI ports.

I like it.

PS for those that hate fans it seems to be thermally triggered. Using the Pi 4 for streaming does not seem to put the CPU under enough strain to turn it on, so the box is essentially silent in operation.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #72,401 of 149,294
Contemplating moving up from the original Jotunheim to either the revision or a Mjolnir 2. Is there anything better than the Jotunheim 2 in the Schiit portfolio than the Mjolnir which is long in the tooth?
If space and cost isn’t a concern, I wouldn’t worry about “long in the tooth”, the Mjolnir 2 still is a great designed amp (tube gain, circlotron-topology, MOSFET output). I’d love one myself but would need a separate table as it wouldn’t fit on my desk (or maybe some way to mount it under my desk hmm...)

Feb 26, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #72,403 of 149,294
The terroir thing got me thinking on a more serious—well, more relevant—note: I run Magnepan 1.7i’s off a pair of Vidar monos; happy with the setup and my use case has never caused the Vidars to go into protection. However I’m on a path to adding DWM panels from Magnepan; these are mageneplanar woofer (not sub-woofer) panels that are supposed to be added in parallel to the speaker cable circuit that goes to the mains. I’ll see how that goes, but I know that this is going to present the Vidars with a 2ohm load so they are more likely to complain.

I’m prepared (at least mentally!) to have to go with a separate power amp for the DWMs, I can run it from the SE-outs on the Freya+. Where the terroir thing comes in is, will an amp from a different manufacturer (I was thinking about an Emotiva BasX-300) change the overall signature of my largely Schiit-based system—enough that one would notice?

Obviously one could purchase a third Vidar for the woofers, but that’s starting to feel like overkill.

My fallback in the interim is to go with the two Vidars each in stereo mode, one for the mains the other for the DWMs. This might even buy me some time to wait and see what Schiit comes out with in new power amps to augment the current Aegir and Vidar models...
What you need.

Feb 26, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #72,404 of 149,294
Thumpers were devices used in the movie Dune to get the giant Sandworms to the surface of the planet. Dune is nothing like Tremors!! Do yourself a favor and watch Dune. You are a Sci-Fi fan, so I know you'll love it!! :wink:
I know someone else said it as well, but the movie is nuts. It reminds me of the scene from 2001 as Dave gets pulled into the monolith, but a whole movie rather than a couple of minutes. I tried reading the book a number of years ago and didn't finish it (made it through War and Peace, couldn't make it through Dune, but enjoy the Foundation series including the Robot series).

I should probably take a photo of my RPi - Pi2Design Hat, Pi4+, and the black case from Pi2Design with a small (physically) SSD for local storage with Volumio as the software. Works well enough in testing with the Asgard 3 MB, but currently set up in the stack waiting for the backordered Yggdrasil - cables in place, shelf reserved.

Also wanted to say thanks to @Baldr and @Jason Stoddard (and oh so many others) as National Engineers Week closes here in the US.

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #72,405 of 149,294
Alright alright alright. Just took my Jot2 out of the with initially some amazing impressions through my 6XX but I have started to notice and now it's blatantly obvious that I have USB noise issues through my Fulla2 that I'm using as a dac...... :frowning2: I thought I could swing the Fulla2 while I save up for a Bifrost of Gungir. I'm starting to think i should have got the MB dac card and just used a single box solution for the time being.

Amazon shows a Grace Drop Balanced DAC for free 1 day delivery so I could have a new dac in my hands by tomorrow. I know this is a schiit thread full of schiit lovers, but can anyone offer me some purchase advice? Is an integrated DAC card be it D/S or MB from Schiit better than getting a balanced Grace DAC for 160 bucks. Anyway, super impressed with the Jot2 so far just need to solve this issues to fully enjoy it. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back