Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #71,191 of 150,789
Can you explain why that might be (for a person who understands the basics of current, voltage, resistance, but not really how they manifest in amplifiers)? And, more generally, do you have a suggestion on a source (online or a book) to start reading to understand why some transducers work better with some amplifiers and some not? I can get very confused about “current-hungry” vs “high resistance” vs “hard-to-drive” vs “nominally rated ohms” (not claiming that any of these phrases are ever substitutes one for the next, just that I’m used to there being some basic electromagnetism formulas I can fall back on, but here I’m SOL so far). Thanks!
I am “I wish I was an engineer” and can’t properly explain this. There are others here that can.
Visualization works well for me, to understand processes and flows. Usually I imagine water going through a tube as a comparison. If the tube is wide then narrow and gets wider again it is the resistance fluctuating (due to the load of the speaker and the frequency), the you can probably see that the narrow part can be below 2Ohm and is harder to push through than if it was a closer width to the wide part. Not sure if that made sense 😬

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #71,192 of 150,789
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #71,193 of 150,789
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #71,194 of 150,789
Yeah, I think you've got the amp situation covered!

What speakers are you running?

I'll PM you since my telephone tag is partially self inflicted, my departSIXnt is currently a departMEnt so trying to call them during the business day isn't working well, I call them, they call back during a meeting. :sob:

Depends, if you’re speakers drop below 2ohm with certain frequencies then a single might even work better
Something I will have to play around with.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #71,195 of 150,789
Friends, I need a little help. (Well, a LOT, but in this context...) So, Bifrost 2 balanced XLR into Jotunheim 2. Now I have Sennheiser HD660s coming in and I want to connect balanced. Since Senn supplies a balanced cable with 4.4mm plug, what is the configuration of adapter I need to go from 4-pin XLR on Jot to the balanced Senn cable?

I hope this isn't an obvious no-brainer or a solution that has been talked to death, but I have hunted high and low and only grow more doubtful and less confident. Who... WHO will step forward with the confident link, the definitive diagram, or the chilling warning I need?

This is an amazing neighborhood, and in the Days of Dark Isolation I am glad you're here.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

And... all good. Thanks to those who responded. Cats, Scotch, BBQ – and now balanced headphone situation in hand.

Since this was a mystery to me, I'll share research with the forum. If it belongs somewhere else, please share it along as needed. Turns out the biggest clue was right in the Jotunheim manual, "...4-pin male XLR plug conforming to the K1000 output jack pinout." With this in mind Internet searches led to confident diagrams and products. I chose one of the suggested adapters from Amazon. It works and the Jot through balanced HD660's is glorious fun.

I am attaching a hopefully helpful diagram of what goes where. I hope it helps the next lost soul.

Attachments

• 4-Pin XLR - 4.4mm 5 Pole Balanced.jpg
    4-Pin XLR - 4.4mm 5 Pole Balanced.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #71,196 of 150,789
Friends, I need a little help. (Well, a LOT, but in this context...) So, Bifrost 2 balanced XLR into Jotunheim 2. Now I have Sennheiser HD660s coming in and I want to connect balanced. Since Senn supplies a balanced cable with 4.4mm plug, what is the configuration of adapter I need to go from 4-pin XLR on Jot to the balanced Senn cable?

I hope this isn't an obvious no-brainer or a solution that has been talked to death, but I have hunted high and low and only grow more doubtful and less confident. Who... WHO will step forward with the confident link, the definitive diagram, or the chilling warning I need?

This is an amazing neighborhood, and in the Days of Dark Isolation I am glad you're here.

Google 4-pin xlr to 4.4mm adapter! several places have them. Enjoy!

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #71,197 of 150,789

You can buy an XLR balanced cable on eBay for $50-60.

This is the vendor I used back when I had a Jotunheim 1, I had no problem with the cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SENNHEISER...349462?hash=item4652d43456:g:tVEAAOSw4O9bhPKq

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #71,198 of 150,789
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #71,199 of 150,789

balanced to balanced is generally straightforward.

the issue is using a Balanced Amp output with TRS (Single-Ended) headphones (can short the negative output phases from left and right channels together or to ground).

Jot 1 and Jot 2 are designed to operate with balanced headphones from the XLR 4-pin, and SE headphones from the 1/4" TRS jack.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #71,201 of 150,789
My wife is profoundly deaf with just 10% in her right ear. She's suffered through analog hearing aids up until recently, where, with the help of her amazing audiologist has finally found dsp aids to be acceptable. In her case Signia (Siemens) which has a very functional smartphone app that can take over mic duties via bluetooth connection. Cynthia's resistance to "digital" aids was pretty firm, but based on current tech - she (and I) are very happy......
Same with my father, he has not found any suitable digital based aids that have been successful for him, but he keeps trying. Will suggest he look at the Signia ones too, as I haven't heard that name mentioned in our chats. Thank you!

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #71,203 of 150,789
Feb 3, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #71,204 of 150,789
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #71,205 of 150,789
So, vary first gen Yagrisill and incoming CD spinner: implamentation?

What will I be loosing versus a newer versions of the dac? Mostly sure mine is not upgradable.

M. Paul.

Sorry, no cats, put the dog down last year, sold the plane this year, but do I have a moose story for you, it's not for the squeamish:

Moose.
I recall writing about my moose event but for some reason it never found its way to here. I'll blame the pain pills...

April 2nd, months and months ago. Months and months on my back and by the beginning of month five I'm still on crutches, only a week or two away from being able to toss them in the trash.

Twenty one pieces of titanium holding my foot together and some bones fused, Metatarsals mostly, two incisions down the top of my foot.

Be coup nerve damage and I learned there are more nerves in the foot then anywhere else; always though it was the tip of the penis. Most of mine are damaged so they spend a good part of the day and all of the night torturing me with their random firing. On the better days my foot feels like a bag of big red ants and at worst twenty angry scorpions stinging at will. I've tried to crush them. Almost any activity that engages my brain stops the pain but as soon is I stop to rest or sleep it's back. Besides not being able to walk across the living room to the kitchen for a cup of coffee the neuropathy is my biggest challenge. It's hard to heal when one gets one or two hours of sleep every night and harder to be a nice person. I do my best to just keep my mouth shut and when no one is looking I stuff a pillow on my mouth and scream.

For a few months I was able to use a strap on peg leg that allowed my hands to be free, I could walk down the road, work in the shop, make coffee and do the dishes. Nothing more then thirty minutes though but it was a form of freedom. About six weeks ago my surgeon and physical therapists told me to put the peg leg away and get back on the crutches to learn how to walk. No more working in the shop or making coffee and a hundred other simple things one does with their hands. I tried to bring Trisha coffee this morning while she worked at her desk and just made a mess on the kitchen floor... The crutches are killing my hands and shoulders and it's a race to get my foot and leg up the strength before the crutches damage other parts of my body. I am close.

During my first visit with the physical therapist she had me on a exercise bike. For a full three minutes if I recall. I was super excited about it and knew I could rig up one of our bikes at home. I was thinking about how to go about it when I notice Trisha's tricycle and how I could just get a box under the rear axle! This is about the third day with my foot out of the brace, I see the bike out there and a light goes on in my head. I waddle out there, climb on, and never look back. FREEDOM! **** the stationary bike idea, I rode downtown and around the block, talked to both strangers and locals I met along the road, looked up at each birch and cottenwood trees, clouds and blue sky, airplanes and birds, mud puddles and the wild roses booming in every roadside ditch.

So today I will do my various stretches and exercises and if I do it well my foot will scream stop by noon. Then I will go for a bike ride, swing by the roadhouse and get a leftover pancake rolled up with a strip of bacon inside. I might stop by the Dida store and tune up one of my guitars and play some, I can finely ride over the little train track crossing hill to get to the airport and bug my flying buddies, I'll stop on the bench at Sheldon Air and eat my pancake or get off the trycyle and crutch around the airplanes, I'll ride up the highway to the. Slough and look at the hill that keeps me in town for now, then ride back through the summer train depo looking for someone to talk to. By the time I get home my foot goes directly into a bucket of ice water. Ten munites, then back into two compression socks, and fortyfive minutes elevated to get the swelling under control.

I've been driving up to the pullout overlook and walking the roadside trail gong a little farther each time. The other day I made my way to the ski trail near the top of the hill. My bladder was full so I crutched my way down it far enough no one could see me, did my business, then decided I should go down the trail a little farther. At some point I stop to look for moose tracks, ya right, but see none not even an old one, then I notice the fresh green herbage crushed here and there and my mind yells BEAR! I made my way back to the pavement in record time. On crutches!

Wrote this on month five, I'll save the best part for later, somthing like eat moose, don't feed them.

M. Paul
Similar situation with my back when younger so I empathize completely. Please share the rest when ready. Made my day! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back