Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 1, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #71,176 of 151,654
My listening room is square too, you have my condolences. Square rooms can be tough, but manageable.

If it's a dedicated listening room, take a look at "Diagonal speaker placement". A diagonal speaker placement can break up some of the bass nodes that a square room tends to double up on. With your room almost being a cube, some of the bass modes are going to overlap and almost triple.

Consider listening nearfield, it takes most of the room problems out of the equation. Not all speakers lend themselves to nearfield listening, some speakers need a bit of space for the drivers to integrate.

Smaller speakers with a sub work really well in a square/small room, and give you a lot more flexibility. You can put the main speakers where they image and sound best, and the sub where it works best. Having the ability to adjust the sub independently from the mains really helps in the square/small room where bass can overpower the rest of the system. You can also DSP the sub if you'd like and leave the mains untouched. Some folks DSP the whole system, but I can't do that myself being an analog guy.

Bass traps and other room treatments can really help the square/small room too, but may not be possible if the room is not a dedicated listening room. It can also be expensive. GIK Acoustic sells finished products that cost less than the raw materials that I purchased when I had mine built back in the day.

I wouldn't mind trying the diagonal speaker placement, but it took me a long time to get my room sounding the way it is, and I don't want to screw it up.
Makes sense and I was certainly going to play with placement, these thankfully boost base the closer the get to the wall (manual says don't place them further than 2 feet from the wall) so that adds a fun aspect to placement and that front wall is supposed to be reflective - not absorptive (again from the manual) so maybe since they break all the other rules, a square room will be best like a rectangular one is for "normal" speakers, and these are small at 7 3/4" square in floor space (but 38" tall).

And dual Vidars should drive the 6Ohm/88dB @ 2.8V without overload, I don't listen THAT loud.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #71,177 of 151,654
Seeking some help from all my learned friends.

My father has severe industrial hearing damage from his many years working in large scale printing factories. Essentially he has -70db around the 1.5-4khz region, right where most voices are prominent.

I am trying to help him get better results from his phone calls via a combination of headphones that work with his hearing aids (he already has some Grado 325s and he is comfortable with these) an amplifier, in this case the Oppo HA-2 and what I need help with - a passive high pass filter. There are on-line calculators, but I'm not really sure that the results from these will produce what I need... hence the ask for help.

So I want to know a circuit to high pass ~2khz and up, and with approx 12-18db/octave roll-off for sub-2k. I want to be able put this in a little plastic box that goes in-line from the phone to the headphone amp. Hoping that someone can come up with a simple circuit. Am then hoping that this will add to the clarity for him, and reduce the need to amplify so much.

What would be good is a parametric EQ head-amp combo with at least 24db boost/cut, but have not found one yet. Any ideas on that?

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

EDIT : Can be mono too, as only needed for phone calls
This book has some relevant advice. I can't recall the details now, but he discusses some hearing loss remediation schemes.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #71,178 of 151,654
Seeking some help from all my learned friends.

My father has severe industrial hearing damage from his many years working in large scale printing factories. Essentially he has -70db around the 1.5-4khz region, right where most voices are prominent.

I am trying to help him get better results from his phone calls via a combination of headphones that work with his hearing aids (he already has some Grado 325s and he is comfortable with these) an amplifier, in this case the Oppo HA-2 and what I need help with - a passive high pass filter. There are on-line calculators, but I'm not really sure that the results from these will produce what I need... hence the ask for help.

So I want to know a circuit to high pass ~2khz and up, and with approx 12-18db/octave roll-off for sub-2k. I want to be able put this in a little plastic box that goes in-line from the phone to the headphone amp. Hoping that someone can come up with a simple circuit. Am then hoping that this will add to the clarity for him, and reduce the need to amplify so much.

What would be good is a parametric EQ head-amp combo with at least 24db boost/cut, but have not found one yet. Any ideas on that?

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

EDIT : Can be mono too, as only needed for phone calls
My wife is profoundly deaf with just 10% in her right ear. She's suffered through analog hearing aids up until recently, where, with the help of her amazing audiologist has finally found dsp aids to be acceptable. In her case Signia (Siemens) which has a very functional smartphone app that can take over mic duties via bluetooth connection. Cynthia's resistance to "digital" aids was pretty firm, but based on current tech - she (and I) are very happy......

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #71,180 of 151,654
My server is very DIY though. Currently I have an installation of the moOde distribution Linux running on a Raspberry Pi 4, with the Logitech Media Server installed on top of that. Two 4Tbyte external hard drives are connected via USB 3.0 to the R-Pi, running in a quasi mirrored set up - only one drive stays mounted. When the library is updated, a shell script catches that the update occurred, mounts the second drive and runs rsync against the library. Once the second drive matches the first, it's spun down and unmounted again.
For the less shell script-y among you, I recommend Syncthing. I use it to sync 4 Linux systems. I carry one fanless server with a 4TB SATA SSD between location #1 and location #2. Location #1 also has a Synology (with is Linux underneath) NAS with 2 (redundant) 2TB HDDs, and another fanless Linux server with 4TB SSD. Location #2 has a backup NUC with an external 2TB USB SSD. My current music library is "just" 1.3TB. Everything ends up in sync over time. To wrap up, I use IDrive with its Linux scripts for a cloud backup of traveling server when I am at location #2 with its private unmetered fiber internet. 5 copies should be enough :wink:

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #71,181 of 151,654
My wife is profoundly deaf with just 10% in her right ear. She's suffered through analog hearing aids up until recently, where, with the help of her amazing audiologist has finally found dsp aids to be acceptable. In her case Signia (Siemens) which has a very functional smartphone app that can take over mic duties via bluetooth connection. Cynthia's resistance to "digital" aids was pretty firm, but based on current tech - she (and I) are very happy...... If your father is using analog aids, you'll want to ask about phones and devices that are telecoil loop compatible. Telecoil is a way of inductively coupling compatible devices with the analog aid

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #71,184 of 151,654
Makes sense and I was certainly going to play with placement, these thankfully boost base the closer the get to the wall (manual says don't place them further than 2 feet from the wall) so that adds a fun aspect to placement and that front wall is supposed to be reflective - not absorptive (again from the manual) so maybe since they break all the other rules, a square room will be best like a rectangular one is for "normal" speakers, and these are small at 7 3/4" square in floor space (but 38" tall).

And dual Vidars should drive the 6Ohm/88dB @ 2.8V without overload, I don't listen THAT loud.
Depends, if you’re speakers drop below 2ohm with certain frequencies then a single might even work better

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #71,185 of 151,654
Depends, if you’re speakers drop below 2ohm with certain frequencies then a single might even work better
Can you explain why that might be (for a person who understands the basics of current, voltage, resistance, but not really how they manifest in amplifiers)? And, more generally, do you have a suggestion on a source (online or a book) to start reading to understand why some transducers work better with some amplifiers and some not? I can get very confused about “current-hungry” vs “high resistance” vs “hard-to-drive” vs “nominally rated ohms” (not claiming that any of these phrases are ever substitutes one for the next, just that I’m used to there being some basic electromagnetism formulas I can fall back on, but here I’m SOL so far). Thanks!

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #71,186 of 151,654
Feb 2, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #71,187 of 151,654
I have not. Their forums are pretty clear that the developer has no interest in integrating Qobuz or Tidal streaming services. Seems they had a bad experience with Tidal wanting to control the UI and decided it was too much of a PIA. ☹

I have MC v23, btw. I've seen no need to upgrade as it works fabulously and i use it only for Music. Now if they ever integrate support for Tidal and/or Qobuz, I'm in for the upgrade.
The only reason I updated from MC25 to MC27 is jRiver incorporated one of my feature requests: there is now a tag which keeps track of when you last synced a file to a hand held. I felt obligated to buy since they added something for me.

Other than that I am a baby user and don't plan anothet update soon. I don't remember why I got MC25... I think I started with MC21.

Too bad about Tidal and Qobuz. jRiver may have to rethink that if either gets big.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #71,189 of 151,654
So, vary first gen Yagrisill and incoming CD spinner: implamentation?

What will I be loosing versus a newer versions of the dac? Mostly sure mine is not upgradable.

M. Paul.

Sorry, no cats, put the dog down last year, sold the plane this year, but do I have a moose story for you, it's not for the squeamish:

Moose.
I recall writing about my moose event but for some reason it never found its way to here. I'll blame the pain pills...

April 2nd, months and months ago. Months and months on my back and by the beginning of month five I'm still on crutches, only a week or two away from being able to toss them in the trash.

Twenty one pieces of titanium holding my foot together and some bones fused, Metatarsals mostly, two incisions down the top of my foot.

Be coup nerve damage and I learned there are more nerves in the foot then anywhere else; always though it was the tip of the penis. Most of mine are damaged so they spend a good part of the day and all of the night torturing me with their random firing. On the better days my foot feels like a bag of big red ants and at worst twenty angry scorpions stinging at will. I've tried to crush them. Almost any activity that engages my brain stops the pain but as soon is I stop to rest or sleep it's back. Besides not being able to walk across the living room to the kitchen for a cup of coffee the neuropathy is my biggest challenge. It's hard to heal when one gets one or two hours of sleep every night and harder to be a nice person. I do my best to just keep my mouth shut and when no one is looking I stuff a pillow on my mouth and scream.

For a few months I was able to use a strap on peg leg that allowed my hands to be free, I could walk down the road, work in the shop, make coffee and do the dishes. Nothing more then thirty minutes though but it was a form of freedom. About six weeks ago my surgeon and physical therapists told me to put the peg leg away and get back on the crutches to learn how to walk. No more working in the shop or making coffee and a hundred other simple things one does with their hands. I tried to bring Trisha coffee this morning while she worked at her desk and just made a mess on the kitchen floor... The crutches are killing my hands and shoulders and it's a race to get my foot and leg up the strength before the crutches damage other parts of my body. I am close.

During my first visit with the physical therapist she had me on a exercise bike. For a full three minutes if I recall. I was super excited about it and knew I could rig up one of our bikes at home. I was thinking about how to go about it when I notice Trisha's tricycle and how I could just get a box under the rear axle! This is about the third day with my foot out of the brace, I see the bike out there and a light goes on in my head. I waddle out there, climb on, and never look back. FREEDOM! **** the stationary bike idea, I rode downtown and around the block, talked to both strangers and locals I met along the road, looked up at each birch and cottenwood trees, clouds and blue sky, airplanes and birds, mud puddles and the wild roses booming in every roadside ditch.

So today I will do my various stretches and exercises and if I do it well my foot will scream stop by noon. Then I will go for a bike ride, swing by the roadhouse and get a leftover pancake rolled up with a strip of bacon inside. I might stop by the Dida store and tune up one of my guitars and play some, I can finely ride over the little train track crossing hill to get to the airport and bug my flying buddies, I'll stop on the bench at Sheldon Air and eat my pancake or get off the trycyle and crutch around the airplanes, I'll ride up the highway to the. Slough and look at the hill that keeps me in town for now, then ride back through the summer train depo looking for someone to talk to. By the time I get home my foot goes directly into a bucket of ice water. Ten munites, then back into two compression socks, and fortyfive minutes elevated to get the swelling under control.

I've been driving up to the pullout overlook and walking the roadside trail gong a little farther each time. The other day I made my way to the ski trail near the top of the hill. My bladder was full so I crutched my way down it far enough no one could see me, did my business, then decided I should go down the trail a little farther. At some point I stop to look for moose tracks, ya right, but see none not even an old one, then I notice the fresh green herbage crushed here and there and my mind yells BEAR! I made my way back to the pavement in record time. On crutches!

Wrote this on month five, I'll save the best part for later, somthing like eat moose, don't feed them.

M. Paul

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #71,190 of 151,654
@M Paul Best of luck on your recovery! Your approach seems to be spot-on. Take baby steps, do something you look forward to every day and keep a positive attitude.

Nothing better than to hear than a guy making the best out of a bad situation. Please don't let this be your last update!

Your post made my day. :muscle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back