Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #71,161 of 151,658
No tinkering needed with Raspberry Pi. There are companies that assemble everything for you including the software.
Complete pack for under € 250,00 In a neat box with a power switch on the front :L3000:

Audiophonics France

It's perfect. Kind of busy in the front.

Be nice if the top was rounded off, and if it was shiny aluminium, oh and the power switch was in the back.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #71,163 of 151,658
I think that car would be gorgeous in any color, even Duke Blue. And from my perspective, that's a statement to end all statements. :smile:

My (admittedly bad) eyes read that as Duka Blue, which I assumed was Polish for Schiit Blue before I realized my mistake.

It was fun (for a moment) picturing you driving around in a Duka Blue Jagwar, though :wink:

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #71,167 of 151,658
So,...
1tbsp hickory flavor liquid smoke
I have never found any meat flavored with liquid smoke enjoyable, generally taste like ass. JMHO and YMMV. We do use crock pot often and have several Q type dishes that turn out well, minus any liquid smoke.

Recently enjoyed an order of KC burnt ends, sent via dry ice chest. Opening package I thought I caught a whiff of liquid smoke. Once heated and served I was relieved to find no trace of the taste. Again, JMHO.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #71,168 of 151,658
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #71,169 of 151,658
I'm in no big hurry. I'm able to do what I need to do with my PC- based JRiver media Center for my local library. I also use BubbleUPnP to stream Qobuz and Tidal via PC. I can control both using my Android Tablet, but it would be nice to use one app to interact with streaming services and local media. (JRM does not integrate streaming services.)

Maybe Audirvana?
Have you looked at MC27? There's a "streaming" pull down on the menu tree now. I don't stream at home so I have tried to add to the "stock" sites available.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #71,170 of 151,658
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #71,171 of 151,658
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #71,172 of 151,658
J. Leno did a nice review of Steve McQueen's XKSS

Yep, forgot about the video review - shows off how nice the engineering that went into it was (part of why I like it).

Having fun trying to upgrade my speakers now (woo telephone tag!) but it should be fun - the room is 10'6" (3.2m) square with a 9' (2.74m) ceiling so with it being square it isn't the best. Hopefully I can square the circle and get them on order to replace the small Klipsch bookshelves I have now - the Telarc 1812 doesn't even has a risk of damaging them since they have no bass.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #71,173 of 151,658
Tyll taking one for the team. Thanks, Tyll! :D
I miss his reviews. Ah well, I sincerely hope he drops by the Schiitr one of these days (that would be one hell of a vlog/podcast/Schiitcast).

DSP question for my peers...
Can someone please point me to some documentation about Meier Crossfeed digital sound processors? Less woo, preferred. Foobar's newsgroup is quiet. AES (Audio Engineers Society?) might have some whitepapers that I'll check out. I'll search DSP and see what bubbles up. I'll also dig around a bit deeper within HydrogenAud.io (link). I'd like to educate myself. :)

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #71,174 of 151,658
Having fun trying to upgrade my speakers now (woo telephone tag!) but it should be fun - the room is 10'6" (3.2m) square with a 9' (2.74m) ceiling so with it being square it isn't the best.

My listening room is square too, you have my condolences. Square rooms can be tough, but manageable.

If it's a dedicated listening room, take a look at "Diagonal speaker placement". A diagonal speaker placement can break up some of the bass nodes that a square room tends to double up on. With your room almost being a cube, some of the bass modes are going to overlap and almost triple.

Consider listening nearfield, it takes most of the room problems out of the equation. Not all speakers lend themselves to nearfield listening, some speakers need a bit of space for the drivers to integrate.

Smaller speakers with a sub work really well in a square/small room, and give you a lot more flexibility. You can put the main speakers where they image and sound best, and the sub where it works best. Having the ability to adjust the sub independently from the mains really helps in the square/small room where bass can overpower the rest of the system. You can also DSP the sub if you'd like and leave the mains untouched. Some folks DSP the whole system, but I can't do that myself being an analog guy.

Bass traps and other room treatments can really help the square/small room too, but may not be possible if the room is not a dedicated listening room. It can also be expensive. GIK Acoustic sells finished products that cost less than the raw materials that I purchased when I had mine built back in the day.

I wouldn't mind trying the diagonal speaker placement, but it took me a long time to get my room sounding the way it is, and I don't want to screw it up.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #71,175 of 151,658
Have you looked at MC27? There's a "streaming" pull down on the menu tree now. I don't stream at home so I have tried to add to the "stock" sites available.

I have not. Their forums are pretty clear that the developer has no interest in integrating Qobuz or Tidal streaming services. Seems they had a bad experience with Tidal wanting to control the UI and decided it was too much of a PIA. ☹

I have MC v23, btw. I've seen no need to upgrade as it works fabulously and i use it only for Music. Now if they ever integrate support for Tidal and/or Qobuz, I'm in for the upgrade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back