Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 29, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #64,066 of 149,760
OK, you made me look that up. I'm old, but not that old. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

1598727971804.png
I guess you never collected returnable glass bottles to take to your local store in exchange for some cold, hard cash to then spend on items to rot your teeth out? :wink:

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #64,068 of 149,760
Sounds like an interesting collection of recordings, whether for pure musical enjoyment or analyzing your playback system and listening space
There we go again into the "hi resolution sounds so incredibly much better" snake pit.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #64,069 of 149,760
There we go again into the "hi resolution sounds so incredibly much better" snake pit.
I took a quick trip through that pit. Only occasionally could I pick out a difference between HiRes and CD quality, and even then I was never really sure which I preferred. I've decided that, for me, chasing HiRes for the sake of having better sound is a fool's errand.

edit... I do still occasionally purchase HiRes downloads from Qobuz if I like the sound because with the Sublime+ tier it's normally cheaper than 44/16 dl. So I'm not chasing HiRes per se, just choosing on price. YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #64,070 of 149,760
ROFL!! I had to delete my Facebook account after multiple death threats from Texas residents. I mean, it's just BBQ for cryin' out loud, and how exactly is it *my* fault that NC BBQ is better? Criminy. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Congratulations on surviving the BBQ Fatwa this long
Yeah...started as a Fry-cook and quickly figured out I liked Lifeguarding better. Pretty much spent all my money on audio or beer. We had several independent record stores until we got a Peaches Record store. Can't tell you how many crates I filled before I made the switch to CD's

1598713901559.png

I went to Peaches too! The world has changed but I still miss that store.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #64,071 of 149,760
This might be ready to serve in North Carolina, but it still has fifteen degrees to go before it meets Texas standards.
20200829_152137.jpg

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #64,072 of 149,760
This might be ready to serve in North Carolina, but it still has fifteen degrees to go before it meets Texas standards.
20200829_152137.jpg

That looks pretty delicious, but also looks like it used to moo. That would be heresy in NC -- the donor animal must have previously emitted an oink. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #64,073 of 149,760
The best record store I ever visited was Rasputin's Records in Berkeley CA. Miles of aisles, the smells of patchouli and pot smoke and dust, and if you wanted something special and they didn't have it they would get it for you at a reasonable cost. I met my second ex-wife at Tower Records in Campbell CA where she was the buyer when I was working in radio.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #64,074 of 149,760
Sounds like an interesting collection of recordings, whether for pure musical enjoyment or analyzing your playback system and listening space:

Haven't listened to it yet, but soon...

Downloading now, but I'll have to listen later. I have at least one MA recording, but I don't remember which one.

[edit] Calamus: The Splendour of Al Andalus. Not my normal musical fare, but fun to listen to for a change and well recorded. I'll likely listen to it now after I've heard the samplers (which are downloading now).

I'd seen that "20 Greatest Intros of All Time" video but never watched it. Looked like a "list because every one makes lists". Now I have to watch it.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #64,075 of 149,760
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #64,076 of 149,760
The best record store I ever visited was Rasputin's Records in Berkeley CA. Miles of aisles, the smells of patchouli and pot smoke and dust, and if you wanted something special and they didn't have it they would get it for you at a reasonable cost. I met my second ex-wife at Tower Records in Campbell CA where she was the buyer when I was working in radio.
Wow, the Tower Records in Campbell is the exact store I used to shop in. Small world. At that time I was too young for expeditions to Berkeley and Mom refused to be a sherpa for records so I never went to Rasputin's.

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #64,077 of 149,760
That looks pretty delicious, but also looks like it used to moo. That would be heresy in NC -- the donor animal must have previously emitted an oink. :grimacing: :grimacing:
Dinner is at 6:00, better hurry we've got one place left at the table.

Oinkers aren't big enough to satisfy Texas appetites. We'll cook them, though, but only the end that oinks... Shoulder roasts and ribs, not too much ham here (at least on a grill or in a smoker).

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #64,078 of 149,760
Wow, the Tower Records in Campbell is the exact store I used to shop in. Small world. At that time I was too young for expeditions to Berkeley and Mom refused to be a sherpa for records so I never went to Rasputin's.
They did open a Rasputin's right up the street from Tower, but it was a pale shadow of the Berkeley store. Streetlight Records was another regular hang. In fact when I liquidated my vinyl collection it was Streetlight who ended up with the bulk of my LPs.

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #64,079 of 149,760
Downloading now, but I'll have to listen later. I have at least one MA recording, but I don't remember which one. I'd seen that "20 Greatest Intros of All Time" video but never watched it. Looked like a "list because every one makes lists". Now I have to watch it.
Todd makes some wonderful sounding recordings. The music is not normally my cup of tea. There is some fine sounding stuff on the sampler. other than the one Sera Una Noche track, La Segunda, I doubt I will give them another listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back