Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #64,081 of 152,522
Aug 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #64,082 of 152,522
I guess you never collected returnable glass bottles to take to your local store in exchange for some cold, hard cash to then spend on items to rot your teeth out? :wink:

Yep. Did that too. And collected car trunk loads of old newspapers to take to the paper recycler for $$. The income from those sources was erratic as it took time for the neighborhood to replenish their supplies of available bottles and newspapers. :D

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #64,083 of 152,522
They did open a Rasputin's right up the street from Tower, but it was a pale shadow of the Berkeley store. Streetlight Records was another regular hang. In fact when I liquidated my vinyl collection it was Streetlight who ended up with the bulk of my LPs.
My favorite record store was actually a sole proprietorship in "Campus Town" when I was in college. I got to be friends with the owner who listened to all kinds of alt and indie stuff I never would have listened to if he hadn't introduced me to the bands. I still don't like most of what he was into, but I still listen to Bob Mould, Gun Club and a couple of songs by Jane's Addiction. Paul also made me listen to some Bob Dylan (who I didn't like at the time) and The Band.

One Wednesday night during finals week of the spring semester my project partner and I had finally finished our project and went up Welch Ave. for a beer to cap off the semester for that class. We started back to the dorms around midnight. When we passed the shop, Paul was inside with the store's stereo "cranked to 11". I pounded on the door and he let us in. We spent the next couple of hours playing CDs and shouting out what the next song would be. If Paul had it, I'd go get the CD off the shelf, he'd open it and play it. We ended up leaving around 2:00 or 2:30am (finals week, remember). We had a blast.

Paul's store was directly across the street from Stereo Sound Studios where I spent a large percentage of my beer money each semester on gear. NAD 3155 one semester, Boston Acoustics A-60 one semester, a Yamaha CD player one semester... Got to be friends with those guys, too. Many afternoons...

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #64,084 of 152,522
My favorite record store was actually a sole proprietorship in "Campus Town" when I was in college. I got to be friends with the owner who listened to all kinds of alt and indie stuff I never would have listened to if he hadn't introduced me to the bands. I still don't like most of what he was into, but I still listen to Bob Mould, Gun Club and a couple of songs by Jane's Addiction. Paul also made me listen to some Bob Dylan (who I didn't like at the time) and The Band.

One Wednesday night during finals week of the spring semester my project partner and I had finally finished our project and went up Welch Ave. for a beer to cap off the semester for that class. We started back to the dorms around midnight. When we passed the shop, Paul was inside with the store's stereo "cranked to 11". I pounded on the door and he let us in. We spent the next couple of hours playing CDs and shouting out what the next song would be. If Paul had it, I'd go get the CD off the shelf, he'd open it and play it. We ended up leaving around 2:00 or 2:30am (finals week, remember). We had a blast.

Paul's store was directly across the street from Stereo Sound Studios where I spent a large percentage of my beer money each semester on gear. NAD 3155 one semester, Boston Acoustics A-60 one semester, a Yamaha CD player one semester... Got to be friends with those guys, too. Many afternoons...
Great story. Where was this?

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #64,085 of 152,522
Great story. Where was this?
Ames, IA, Iowa State University. Paul was a trip, very nice guy and about the only thing we had in common was music. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #64,086 of 152,522
The best record store I ever visited was Rasputin's Records in Berkeley CA. Miles of aisles, the smells of patchouli and pot smoke and dust, and if you wanted something special and they didn't have it they would get it for you at a reasonable cost. I met my second ex-wife at Tower Records in Campbell CA where she was the buyer when I was working in radio.

Rather Ripped Records was another exceptional shop. Quality-to-crap ratio was extremely high (like some of the staff...but they sure knew their music).

1598742699187.png

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #64,089 of 152,522
Speaking of amazing guitarists, anyone else pick up the new John Petrucci album? Amazing Schiit...
And Richie Sambora & Orianthi collaborating on RSO - great album!

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #64,090 of 152,522
The best record store I ever visited was Rasputin's Records in Berkeley CA. Miles of aisles, the smells of patchouli and pot smoke and dust, and if you wanted something special and they didn't have it they would get it for you at a reasonable cost. I met my second ex-wife at Tower Records in Campbell CA where she was the buyer when I was working in radio.
For those near LA or SF, there’s Amoeba records. Best I’ve found in these days of mp3...

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #64,092 of 152,522
Still going strong the last time I was there as is Amoeba......

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #64,093 of 152,522
Dinner is at 6:00, better hurry we've got one place left at the table.
Brisket turned out well, sorry you couldn't make it over.

Aug 29, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #64,094 of 152,522
Brisket turned out well, sorry you couldn't make it over.

I'm still on the way...keep it warm for me. My Lear is having engine maintenance so I had to crank up the Cessna which is so irritatingly slow. :grinning:

Aug 29, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #64,095 of 152,522
Rasputin was amazing. When I lived in Philly, now gone a.k.a. music on 2nd Street was where I learned about many of artists I still follow. I miss them. Before covid, I used to go to Santa Cruz for live music at Kuumbwa and just a few blocks away is Streetlight Records, a funky emporium of used CDs and vinyl where I found some rare gems of jazz and modern classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back